Old 07-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #201

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Glad to see things moving forward, Janice! Again, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #202
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Get rid if the SS box and go with what almost every other boat uses as an exhaust system day in and day out.
This is most likely what I will end up doing. In the meantime, a mechanic is due here Tuesday. He's scheduled to concentrate on the boat next door (Cummins, B-series) so if the news is bad, I'll have him early on my boat.

For the neighbor's boat, I'm hoping for the best. No one wants a disposable engine. Thus, I hope the CumminsB is fixable. We shall see.

Anyway, I will probably end up with the standard exhaust as described earlier in this thread. Such is life. Live and learn. Etc.

Right now I'm still a bit sensitive about the Carrabelle fiasco, so I do appreciate your letting that matter drop. It's water under the bridge and no malice was involved.

In my view, no matter the result, if malice is not involved you (er, I) let it go and move forward. Recriminations and looking in the rear view mirror doesn't alter the past. Only looking to the future and working toward better endings is helpful.

Here, in St. Pete I have high hopes. And thank you for your prayers. Seaweed is my life, my home and my security. For me, she is everything. I truly am blessed and that I was able to come here is a good thing.

I can't wait to explore the beautiful green waters found hereabouts.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #203
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Setting your exhaust system right shouldn't take all that long. As an example, I have had an exhaust leak in my exhaust riser this summer on my sailboat. Today I bit the bullet and removed the riser. It turned out that one of the joints between the components of the riser was on the way out after only 12 years. So I made a trip to the hardware store and bought new components for the riser. Three hours after I started work on the project the engine was up and running for a total cost of less than $20 for a completely new black iron riser. I was able to reuse the water injection elbow and the flange that attaches the riser to the exhaust manifold. If I had needed new components those two items would have cost $309, bringing the total cost to about $330.
TDunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #204
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Janice

So proud of you with your head up !!!

life is so full of bumps and bruises that can make the best of people bitter.

life with a boat can be even worse ...yet I find on this forum and in boating life we can also run across so many people and conditions that we know are nothing but a blessing

I am so proud to have witnessed a piece of your journey in the written word here

head high Janice!!!
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #205

City: CA
Any updates

On the Diesel swap?
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #206
Guru

Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Hello BigJim. This is the week the new mechanic (#3) was to start on the hoses for the Kubota.

His mom went into the hospital (in Pennsylvania) and the family (three boys) are on their way north for a visit as per the recommendation of her physician. It's serious. She's in her late 80's and so...

I can again search for #4 mechanic, or wait for #3 to come back.

The other option is to see if I can figure out where the hoses belong. It would be good for me to understand how the engine cooling system works in any event. I did take the advice of Stu (thanks) and ordered a boroscope from Amazon.

Basically I've waited three weeks for #3 to get through the two projects ahead of mine. They are done and it is My Turn. Argh.

Naturally his mom comes before me. This I can understand.

So that's where I'm at. It's fortunate I have patience however there is that Final Straw moment and 'tis rapidly approaching!

Thanks for asking.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #207
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Healhustler, why don't you take your tools over there and finish up this job for Janice? 😁
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #208
Guru

Now, now, now cardude...

#3 is out. He's out of the state as a matter of fact. His mom is very sick so I get that he had to go home to see her.

That did not stop me from reaching out to another fellow -- today. Actually, he's the next door neighbor. I've waved and nodded at him a time or three and today found out he was a mechanic. Insert laughter.

So, I phoned and he said he'll come take a look-see and let me know. Today he was replacing cylinder heads a bit further down the canal.

He's got a 40' go-fast twin engine boat on a lift next to Seaweed. If the storm heads this way I'll use two of his pilings to tie off. I'm rafted to a 36'er at present.

Where I am though is pretty good for sitting out a storm. There's not much fetch and I'm surrounded by McMansions so the wind should not be an issue. Life's good afloat.

Besides, I'm going to meet Larry one of these days at Don's Salvage. I've not been there yet. Nor to Pinellas Fasteners and that sounds like a fun place too.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #209
Guru

Repowering with a Tractor Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

Besides, I'm going to meet Larry one of these days at Don's Salvage. I've not been there yet. Nor to Pinellas Fasteners and that sounds like a fun place too.

I'm pretty sure Larry keeps an apartment next to most of these salvage places so he can be first to snag all the goodies. When we went to Sailormqn all the store personnel called him by name. He's like the "Norm" of marine salvage places!

Here is an actual photo of the inside of his garage. It was shocking, to say the least.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1440856269.439596.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	43714
Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #210
Guru

Ah, Larry's Chandlery. Nice.

That would be a fun place to explore. No telling what we might find, eh?

Heck, I inherited Daddy's stuff and a few years later I was helping a sailboat move when I figured out what this nifty brass gizmo was. It was too good to throw out (I still have it!) but I had no clue as to what it's purpose was.

It turned out to be a throttle. The boat (ketch, possibly) I was on, was an early 1900's (1908 I think it was) and a real beauty. An old sleek wooden sailboat...

The owner was George but I called him Strings because he had strings everywhere on his boat tying things -- much like Daddy used to do.

Side note: If Daddy needed a particular tool some place in the bilge, he'd have one tied on a stringer nearby.

Anyway, I don't remember Strings' boat name but his dink was More Joy.

What struck me was the old gent who ran her. He pulled into the anchorage near the boatyard, then proceeded to take off the bowsprit and boomkin. You pay by the foot and he made his boat smaller. After relaunch, the procedure reversed.

You have to admire someone with that much ingenuity. I loved it.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #211
FF
Guru

"You have to admire someone with that much ingenuity. I loved it.

The economical Brits have "striking" bow sprits that take but seconds to run in.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #212
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Janice, you might find something useful in this discussion on Cruiser's Forum for background and reference sources:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/marinized-kubota-engine-what-are-the-differences-71116.html

-Chris
Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #213
Guru

Thanks Chris... I did see a Hayes bell-housing (like mine) and it is an interesting thread. In comparing what's said against my Beta shop manual, everything seems to be lining up.

I ordered a boroscope from China to see what exactly is inside the manifold -- curiosity, don't 'cha know. It has not yet arrived. Amazon provided the seller with an incomplete address (it showed complete on my end)

The mechanic is due back in town this week so I should get some decent information next week. I am top on his list so that's a good thing.

Mechanic said he'd be here on the 25th however since he flies in late on the 24th, I'm looking for a well-rested and Ready to Work fellow on Monday. He's been off his boat for a month (his mom has cancer and started chemotherapy) so in Florida? With all the humidity? I'm guessing he'll be scrubbing mildew for at least a day or two before he gets here.

We shall see.

And thank you again for the link to that thread. I'm making notes.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #214
Guru

Today (well, yesterday) the mechanic was aboard. The stainless box has been removed from the system. It seems redundant in that the heat exchanger will cool the engine water. Too, it was one more potential point of failure.

It's a beautiful planter now or will be.

Next comes hoses.
The original alternator is back on the engine. I've got a 55A spare to install, but not now. Currently I want the motor to work -- nothing more, nothing less.

Tweaking (the bigger/better alternator) will come once I'm mobile.

There has been a lot of concern about the stainless box. And those weighed heavily in the decision too. More than you can realize, your (collective) advice has been mulled over, studied, and has been Very Useful.

I've learned a lot more about a cooling system than I ever intended to. Today I (okay, mechanic Steve) showed me where the pencil zinc goes in my heat exchanger.

More to come. It's late, however before I hit the bunk I had to send "thanks" to those who have offered advice, input and information regarding this endeavor.

Sincere thanks to all from Seaweed.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #215
FF
Guru

"Tweaking (the bigger/better alternator) will come once I'm mobile."

If your alt is shaped like a Delco that is in cars , and has been the std for "ever"
an upgrade is cheap and easy.

Go to the parts guy (NAPA , Autozone whatever) and ask for a Caddy or other big car unit from the 60's.

These are 65-70 amps , and MOST important have external Voltage regulators.

The better brained marine V regulator will give 3 or 4 times faster charging than the car V regulator .

The V regulator is the key to short batt charging , frequently not just the alt size.

If you had 600lbs of House batts it would require the big alt.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #216
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Tweaking (the bigger/better alternator) will come once I'm mobile."

If your alt is shaped like a Delco that is in cars , and has been the std for "ever"
an upgrade is cheap and easy.

Go to the parts guy (NAPA , Autozone whatever) and ask for a Caddy or other big car unit from the 60's.

These are 65-70 amps , and MOST important have external Voltage regulators.

The better brained marine V regulator will give 3 or 4 times faster charging than the car V regulator .

The V regulator is the key to short batt charging , frequently not just the alt size.

If you had 600lbs of House batts it would require the big alt.
Actually Rich gave me his Herth (sp?) that had been mounted to a Yanmar. He did send paperwork indicating it had been tweaked. He's an EE and understands this. I do not.

And he's in Melbourne which relatively speaking isn't that far once Seaweed is again mobile.

Life is definitely looking up. It was a longggg month waiting for the mechanic to get back from Pennsylvania. Thankfully, his mom is doing better and began treatment a few days ago.

And today I meet Larry and his Better Half. I'm looking forward to that. Life is indeed good.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #217
Guru

Catching up: The mechanic again flew back to Pennsylvania. His mom's doctor called and he left. He's kept in touch. That said, I want a motor that runs, yesterday.

This week a neighbor boat has had a mechanic at his working on it. The mechanic (Sunrize in St. Pete) has not only shown up when he said, he's also returned phone calls and ... drumroll please: did the job to completion without issue. Even when stuff morphed.

Very impressive, for certain. Mechanic's name is Paul (owns company)

Of course Paul is busy. Today he stepped aboard Seaweed and took a look see at what I've got.

In the meantime, I'd taken that stainless box to a local welder and had it removed. The inside, well, that's a riser boys and girls. Yeah! A stainless one at that. The welder did a nice job and I'll have an article about that upcoming.

Picture of welder and what was inside that box. Also, he marked on the outside where the pipe (raw water) ends.

I am aware that ideally the riser would be one continuous piece of metal. For the record, the welds on the inside of the box were as good as those that showed outside. And yes, thanks to Stu (hi Stu) I have purchased 50' of the wrap for the pipe. The mechanic asked about that and I showed him the box.

Paul (Sunrize) believes he has the standard bolt-on heat exchanger that these Kubotas use. If so, we'll do a swap. If not, he'll have the hoses done in a day.

Paul has other jobs before me (including the boat right next to me) but I'm in his queue. And hopeful again.

And Off Duty, honest to Betsy, we will get together. I'd love to show your bride my home. Seaweed's not fancy and I like her just that way. You'll even get to take a gander at the newest solar panels. I tell you, my home is getting spiffier all the time.

Except for the gelcoat that looks 30+ years old. Seaweed's a boat, not a Yacht.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #218
Guru

What a journey. Hang in there.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #219
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
What fun! Keep us informed? ^What he said^
Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #220
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
What a journey. Hang in there.
Amen to that. That sweet wee boat needs to be back out there, motorin'...