Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #141
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Here's another vote for a Cummins 6BT210.... cannot go wrong. Relatively inexpensive & easily owner maintained, super reliable.

Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #142
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Something tells me this passion for Cummins could be misplaced. Misplaced in that I'm sure there are at least several other brands that are as good. Looks kinda like a bandwagon thing to me but they are good engines. Volvo's have the parts problem but what about all the rest?
I'm think'in that in a competitive market there should be many competitive products. Honda's and Toyota's are good cars but how many of us own other brands and are very satisfied w them? We have one VW and have had several others and have'nt had any problems that I can remember. I read or hear the Korean cars are comparable to Japanese cars now.
This thread .. no this forum makes it sound like one would be stupid to buy anything but a Cummins. Just seems to me like this Cummins mania may be somewhat subjective and over rated. There must be other excellent choices.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #143

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I took my Triumph in for service once and there was a cartoon on the wall that was captioned: "If you like warm beer buy a Lucas refrigerator".
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #144

City: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
I took my Triumph in for service once and there was a cartoon on the wall that was captioned: "If you like warm beer buy a Lucas refrigerator".
In the late '60s my brother and I were fans of Triumph motorcycles, with their Lucas electrics and zener diode voltage regulators. We always had a zener and couple spare headlight bulbs in the drawer.
Lucas was called 'the Prince of Darkness' in those days.

Great machines, those old Triumphs.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #145
FF
Guru

"Misplaced in that I'm sure there are at least several other brands "

The hassle is many trawlers run 2 -4 gph at cruise .

That's perhaps 30 -60- even 80 with a modern electric injection unit with computer for timing.

Mostly the auto diesels would be a source , but most auto engines are not up to marine power demands.

Up a hill for 10 min , no problem , 30-75 hp for 12 hours , could be a big problem.

To boost reported fuel mileage the common solution is a small engine with a big turbo.

This loads the engine quire well for hill climbing and reduces the load on the flats.

Passing is a delight as the torque from the turbo is large at low RPM, so perhaps no downshifting.

Most of the real truck engines are far larger than what is required .

My choice the Intl DT 360 or DT 466 is usually larger than folks need.

Cheap at junk yards as the most common service is Skool Bus , and the engines are never in demand for replacement , as Unkle pays 90% of the bus cost.

Of course a good over sized engine , set up with a cruise prop and an EGT gauge might be the best choice as cruising at good speed might be done at 1200RPM or so.

For most even 1500 is fairly quiet.

Sorta like Gardner does.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #146

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
I think a big part of the Cummins having favor is the availability of parts and know-how. Can't say the same for my Perkins.
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #147
Guru

Parts and service are excellent for my Klassen/Mitsubishi.
Actually I haven't needed any (except oil filters) but the support is there.
But they (now Yukon Power Systems) are there w Hatton Marine in Seattle.

But these guys usually don't cater to pleasure boats. They used to go to the boat shows but hated it probably because of all the arrogance and stupid questions. Perhaps others that do deal w the pleasure boat business engine sources will comment.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #148
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Aside from diesels: Speaking of low initial/maintenance/replacement costs, an efficient power source, and overall EZ to deal with engines... I recently had six (6) "classic" 350 cid Chevy gassers (from 1977 to 1991 mfg dates). Five in boats; one in a truck. Now I have three. Two in a boat and one in truck. Every once in a great while I need new alternator; very occasionally a new starter. Had one carburetor rebuilt in decades. Other than that... oil change on schedule and a quick tune up every few years.

Treated correctly (and not jumped-up (altered) into a foolishly high HP range) carbureted, classic 350 Chevy gassers last for many thousand hours use in boats and hundreds of thousand miles in vehicles.

Nearly all parts at your nearest auto store. If needed/desired... Mechanics are everywhere.

Just that simple!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #149
Guru

Hey Art,
I've got two of them babies too.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #150
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
It's not that the Cummins is the best engine, it is just a "pretty good" engine. What tips the balance compared to other brands is that the Cummins 6B is EVERYWHERE, parts are reasonable, parts are easily available, and lots of folks know how to fix them.

The 6B210 has super noisy timing gears, the CAV pump is crude and sloppy, and the engine is not super efficient. But for making 40-60hp at cruise, it is the best thing going when all factors are considered.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:05 AM   #151

City: Nouméa
Hello

I have a question if you repowerded your boat , must you change your gearbox too or a adaptation is possible ?
Bugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:05 AM   #152
FF
Guru

"if you repowerded your boat , must you change your gearbox too or a adaptation is possible ?"

IF the HP and RPM of the new engine are similar to the old one , and the tranny is in excellent condition , a change is not required.

Most engines will fit up to a standard SAE bellhousing.

They come in sizes 1 (big HP ) to 5 , lawn implement size.

The marine tranny folks use the SAE standards so fitting an engine to your old tranny should be possible.

I would contemplate upgrading to a better tranny like a Twin Disc , which can be had used rebuilt for modest bucks.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #153
Guru

City: Sydney
Different engines different engine mounts .Sometimes its near impossible to retrofit a different make of engine without a lot of work fabricating adapter mounts. Id rather just rebuild a engine to the highest standards and live with the devil I know
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #154
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Different engines different engine mounts .Sometimes its near impossible to retrofit a different make of engine without a lot of work fabricating adapter mounts. Id rather just rebuild a engine to the highest standards and live with the devil I know
Well put!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #155
FF
Guru

"Id rather just rebuild a engine to the highest standards and live with the devil I know"

Until the parts source is ALL GONE , and you are having pistons cast.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #156
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Rebuilding engine beds is a simple task. Frankly fitting a new exhaust system is more of a pain because of the often difficult access to parts of it. When I repowered, the first thing I did was to completely remove the old engine beds and then build completely new beds and a new pan for under the engine. It wasn't a big deal.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #157
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Certainly depends on the old installation and the proposed one....say going from a six to a four cylinder or vice versa and the mounts are cut into stringers.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #158
Veteran Member

City: Jamestown, Ca.
Vessel Name: Down East Yankee
Vessel Model: Defever 40 by Down East
Time for an update. After updating and upgrading several things on the NOS Cummins NA B6M, it was time to re-power the boat. I brought the boat through the California Delta to Ladd’s Marina in Stockton. This yard allows DIY guys to perform most work on their own boats and they will assist as needed. Stockton is also as close as I could bring the boat to my home and shop, about 60 miles away.

Once on the hard, I had Ladd’s install a bow thruster and do the bottom paint while I concentrated on the engine room. We had to remove a long section of handrail to allow the engines to go through the cabin door and over the cap rail. We then had to cut out most of the main cabin floor to get the old engine and genset out and the new or updated stuff in. Because the door opening is only 19 ¼” wide, I had to disassemble the engines basically down to “long blocks” to get them through. I removed and updated just about everything from the engine room before reassembling. Painted all of the bilge areas beneath the ER floor, new hoses and rerouted or relocated many things to make better since. I’ll repaint the ER floor and walls after the boat has run for awhile and am comfortable that I won’t need to do major work that would ruin it.

I have reinstalled the floor section over the propulsion engine and electric come-home motor. After putting the finishing touches to the genset and forward bulkhead, I’ll reinstall the floor section over that area and take her for spin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	53348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	53349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	53350   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	53351   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	53352  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4 (2).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	53353   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (2).jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	53354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	53355  
remwines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #159
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Looks great, Bob. The pictures don't do it justice. Your attention to detail is obvious upon entering the ER.

Let me know when you're up and running. I'm heading your way before the 4th and will anchor and hang in the area for about a week. The first IPA's on me!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #160
Veteran Member

City: Jamestown, Ca.
Vessel Name: Down East Yankee
Vessel Model: Defever 40 by Down East
"Let me know when you're up and running. I'm heading your way before the 4th and will anchor and hang in the area for about a week. The first IPA's on me!"

Thanks Al. It's probably going to be a couple more weeks before the test cruise. I still have to tie up a few loss ends in the ER, wire the bow thruster, reattach the handrail and wash two months of Stockton crud off it. If it's not operational, I can still run out there with the Alumaweld for the IPA

remwines is offline   Reply With Quote