Old 12-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #81
FF
Guru

Every engine Mfg has a different name for the " big shop service manual" that can usually be ordered / purchased at the parts counter of that brand.

Some will take months to show up.

Purchase it from the base engine mfg on marinizations .

The term ,"Da Book," covers any of the brands service book, what ever they chose to call it.

If you don't have it , sounds like a great present for the boat , or the boats captain.

Prepare for sticker shock!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #82

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
On that basically new, old stock motor, I'd do a quick, short oil change and valve adjust as things seat and wear in.
I'd also do a strong cooling system clean & flush before installing your long term coolant.

My routine is pretty similar on all my engines, taken from the hour meter. Once you've done this a few times it's easy to look at the meter and know exactly how long before and after any service and what to prepare for.

At any 250 hr interval - Oil & filter

At any 500 hr interval - minor service, includes oil, filter, fuel filter, pull end caps from heat exch and inspect, usually need zincs (varies by boat) etc

At 750, (multiple of 250) Oil & filter

At 1000 hr - full service, oil & filter, fuel filter, ht exch & zincs, inspect/change raw water impeller, etc etc.

Once you've done the routine a few times you'll get a feel for what variables work better in your situation.

The Cummins seem to like to have the injectors changed around 1200-1500 hrs, so maybe time your valve adj to match etc.

And now's the time to get into your oil sampling and reports.

Just me, YMMV.

BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #83
Veteran Member

City: Jamestown, Ca.
Vessel Name: Down East Yankee
Vessel Model: Defever 40 by Down East
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
For questions about Cummins motors, check out an app called "QuickServe Mobile". Input a Cummins serial number and see the build sheet and lots of info about the engine in question.
Thanks bcam. I registered with QuickServe Online several days ago, but did not know about this app. I installed it on the iPad that goes with me to the boat. What a relief it is to know that I can quickly and easily get any part for my propulsion engine. The only things I knew I could get for the old Ford/Iveco engine were the starter, alternator, pump impeller and filters. Anything else was a crap shoot from TAD or scavenging through heavy equipment salvage yards.

Bob
remwines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #84
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bob,
What other engines did you come across while you were looking that you did't consider worth mentioning? My engine search was very interesting. Had a good time looking. Some people like things decided and some like to keep things open. I'm in the latter group. This tendency applies to all we do.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Bob

As we follow your interesting journey a question that I probably missed -- is the engine set up for keel cooling and or dry stack or equipped for raw water cooling via an on engine heat exchanger and shower head?
It is raw water cooled with pump on Port side. Old engine's raw water pump and the seacock are starboard, so I will have to plumb it across. It has the jacketed exhaust manifold, but I will have to come up with the appropriate riser. It has the long narrow heat exchanger that is mounted parallel with the exhaust manifold.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #86
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
How about a Perkins M-115 with a ZF-Hurth transmission?

Perkins M 115 Marine Diesel Engine with ZF Hurth Transmission 2 7 | eBay
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Bob,
What other engines did you come across while you were looking that you did't consider worth mentioning? My engine search was very interesting. Had a good time looking. Some people like things decided and some like to keep things open. I'm in the latter group. This tendency applies to all we do.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking. and I sure don't want to offend anyone by identifying their favorite engine as unsuitable for this application. But this kind of sums up why I choose this Cummins: I am not hung up on labels. Right now I have diesel engines in cars, truck, tractors and boats with Cummins, Ford/Iveco, Yanmar, IH, VW, VM, Volvo, MB and Iseki. My current Ford/Iveco marine engine runs fine, but I do not have enough confidence in it for a trip from the SF Bay to Alaska. So based on broad product support and parts availability in the West and PNW, and opinions from many from this thread, I had a lot of good choices. Cummins for me was on top.

I grew up in a Richfield Station (Atlantic on the right coast) and have been bending wrenches and fabricating most my life. Was part of a Super Stock drag team in the 70's and worked for Hooker Headers in the 70' and 80's starting in the Deign Shop. Today in retirement, as a hobby I have a full shop where I do my own hotrod/car restoration projects and work on my vehicles, tractors and boats. I am a DIY person. Deciding on the 6B for the boat was probably the same reason why most project hotrods are built with Small Block Chevys. They are common, most all mechanics know them, can get parts anywhere that I am going, there are many forums dedicated to them, and sensible upgrades and modifications are well documented. And like a small block Chevy in a hotrod, there is nothing I can't buy or fabricate for the 6B to make it suit the boat. I have had boats most of my life, but I am still relatively new to bigger diesel boats. This engine seemed to be the simplest, basic, no brainer to start with. I will be there when the old engine comes out and when the new one goes in. I will have the boatyard set and align the engine and trans, but I plan to plumb and wire it.

Again, thanks to all for helping me get to this point. I look forward to your responses to questions as I'm working through the repower.

Bob
Old 12-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
How about a Perkins M-115 with a ZF-Hurth transmission?

Perkins M 115 Marine Diesel Engine with ZF Hurth Transmission 2 7 | eBay
That does look like a good deal! I bet it won't last long on eBay. My 6B is on the way now, so I'm no longer looking.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #89
Guru

Bob,
I was just wondering what engines did,nt quite make it to the table for evaluation. Perhaps there was some uncovered interesting engines that would make interesting conversation. That's our mission here .. conversation.
VERY interesting about your history and shop. Glad you shared.

Donson,
Is the Perky a 4 or 6?

Old 12-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #90
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=manyboats;
I was just wondering what engines did,nt quite make it to the table for evaluation. Perhaps there was some uncovered interesting engines that would make interesting conversation. That's our mission here .. conversation.
VERY interesting about your history and shop. Glad you shared.[/QUOTE]

Hi Eric

There's so many great engines I could have considered, but I automatically excluded anything that was not in current production in some form. Then I excluded electronic/computer controlled engines, so that narrowed the choices down to a handful. I liked some of the engine packages and options that the guys in your area and Beta are putting together. But in the end, I have a 5.9 Dodge Cummins PU that has performed flawlessly for me for 12 years, so that made the final choice pretty easy. Not very interesting I know, but that's how it went. I'll be enjoying that 6B for the rest of my life.

Bob
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #91
Guru

Robert C Cummins?
Just kidding

Yup .. I can relate. I drove a truck for 10 years. It was old when my employer bought it. Hauled all kinds of mechanical stuff around western Washington and occasionally eastern including a neucular waste compactor .. in three loads. I spent a lot of time w my foot all the way down on that 335 Cummins. Don't remember having any problems. My replacement driver drove it quite a few years more too. Don't remember the year but it was a GMC Astro 95. Experiences like that can bring about great faith.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #92
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Donson,
Is the Perky a 4 or 6?
It's a 4. I imagine it is the common rail successor to the 4-236. It seems to be out of production so getting parts to it might be problematic and also the reason no one has snapped it up. IMHO, the Cummins is definitely the better choice over the long run.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I picked up the Cummins 6B at the freight yard yesterday and it's in my shop. I gave it a good going over and pulled the rocker covers. It all looks clean and new as advertised. Paint has some nicks and scratches as expected from being kicked around the shop for 28 years. I wasn't expecting any paperwork, but it came with all the original documentation with the exception of the purchase invoice and owners manual. The folded mechanical drawing for installation will come in handy. It also came with a four page invoice/report from the St. Paul Branch of Cummins NPower. The owner took it there is 2003 for service. Evidently the owner forgot to plug the raw water outlet on the heat exchanger and rodent put some acorns in it. NPower changed out several seals, went through the heat exchanger, dyno'd it and ran it at various RPMs, load-no load for an hour and ten minutes. They provided all the bhp, torque, temps and pressures. Looks good.

I plan on changing all hoses, main seals and whatever else makes sense. Will have new shaft seals put in the transmission as well. I will wait for a shop manuals before jumping into it. Looks pretty good so far. I hope to swap the engines out in about three months.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Received Cummins.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	47209  
Old 12-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #94
Guru

That is a BW gear isn't it?

Old 12-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #95
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
That was a good find.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Yes, a 10-18-010, 2.57:1.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #97

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
It's getting exciting - please post lots of pics as things progress.
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Hi all. Thought I'd do an update on this project. After much input from many regarding an good replacement engine for our 40' single Defever, I bought an old/new Cummins normally aspirated 115HP 6B5.9M with BW 72C 2.57:1 gear. It was built in 1987, but never installed.

I replaced all shaft seals on the engine and transmission, and many other gaskets to help ensure no leaks from dried or damaged seals. Rebuilt the injectors, used all silicone hoses, new coolant pump, replaced original 50 amp alternator with a new 150 amp unit and installed a Parker/Racor Closed Crankcase Ventilation system. The engine is ready for installation.

It is quite a time capsule. I am use to seeing grime when opening an engine that is 29 years old, but this one was squeaky clean. When I pulled the front cover, it not only looked new, the drive gears showed they were made in West Germany. The engine was built a couple of years before the Berlin Wall came down.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to pulling the old engine, upgrading the engine room and installing the Cummins. The boat is scheduled to be pulled on April 12th. The boatyard is lifting the old engine out and setting in the new one, but I will be doing all the plumbing, wiring, painting and whatever else is needed. Here's a picture of what engine looked like when I received it from the shipping company and how it looks today. Thanks to all who gave opinions and advise when I started gearing up for this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Received Cummins.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	50311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491 (1).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	50312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492 (1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	50313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496 (1).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	50314  
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #99
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great job. Should make a nice re-power if you don't mind a set of Commi-pinko drive gears keeping everything going down the pike.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #100
Enigma

City: Slicker?
WHOA!!!!! Impressive.