Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Repower Cost

Here is a wide open question. Any guesses or estimates on what it would cost to repower a boat that currently has a pair 8.2L DD's with a pair of Cummins engines? Any suggestions on an engine selection other than the Cummions?
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #2

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
Repower cost

A friend of mine just did a single engine using a Cummins 6bt. H esaid the engine was 18k and 6 more to have it removed and replaced. ready to go. Worked out fine all that needed to be done was replace the prop after the sea trial.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
The PO on my boat replaced both engines in 2006 with new smaller economical John Deere 4045TFM50's at a cost of $50,000 including some nice additions.

Not a cheap prospect and the articles on engine installs all state the cheapest way is to replace like for like then it goes up in dollars from there.

Good luck
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I'm doing a re-power now, having had to replace leaking fuel tanks. I was going to put in the Cummins 6BT's. Price was $16,000 each, plus install. They are probably the best option if you aren't doing a lot of hours. They are labelled as 'reman' but in fact are brand new engines.

Make sure that you check gear ratio and prop sizes, or you might need new gears as well.

But I ended up with the John Deere 6068 TFM 75 engines, Tier 2. They were around $25,000 each, plus install. Big difference, but the JD's will be up to 1 gph more fuel efficient at low rpm, and I'm trying to maximise range. With larger tanks, some bladders and the JD's I should be able to get to Hawaii from US west coast. Then its relatively short hops back to Australia. Given the shipping quotes ranged from $55,000 to $100,000 I should breakeven or better. And enjoy the trip.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
What's wrong with the 8.2's?
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
What's wrong with the 8.2's?

Thanks for asking. I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with these specific engines with under 3,000 hours. I understand they have been very well maintained. However, I have heard and read a lot of negative coments about DD 8.2L's. I really like the vessel and I am trying to get an idea what the downside would be if the 8.2L's became unserviceable and I had to repower.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"and I had to repower."

Would you do the R& work yourself?

Would you require "factory marinized "marine" engines?

Your own labor and a better choice of engines could reduce the cost by 75%.

Dont know if these engines are close enough to yours , but the last post has a link for information.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/die...sel-43412.html

Might be useful?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
DDs are a bit like Bruce anchors. The more people that talk bad about them the worse they get until most people think ther'e just garbage. The only thing I actually KNOW that's bad about DDs is that they are noisy.

My advice to BI is to take good care of them and run'em.

PS ... Sorry I thought the 8.2L's were a big Detroit Diesel. My bad.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Bud

The downside I see is putting more money into your 270 than it is worth. When new, gassers were the 99.9% choice for your vessel. Were the 8.2s repower? Will the 5.9s fit from a length standpoint and then hook up with the (V?) drives? The Cummins will weigh about 400 - 500 lbs more per engine than a 350 CID gasser. Interesting set of questions.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #10

Sunchaser, sorry for the confusion. The 270 is listed for sale. After 9 seasons of good service we are ready to move up in size. One of the engine options that came with the style of boat we are considering were the 8.2L's. I'm trying to figure out how much of a price adjustment I need to allow for if I were to buy a boat with 8.2's rather than Cat 3208's.

From what I see here and what I've been told by others, it looks like I should plan on $50-$60K to repower if needed.

PS: I think a pair of Cummins might sink the 270.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
I have a pair of 8.2's in my Californian that have run quite nicely for the last 7 years or so. The are quiet (4 cycle), fuel efficient, and, @ 250 hp, strong enough to push the boat as fast, or slow, as I need to go. However, they are a "love 'em, or hate 'em, sort of engine. We have 2000 hrs on the one, 4000 hrs on the other. I'd save the $$ & run them.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Bud

My bad in assuming the 270 was the victim.

Seven years ago I looked at the cost to repower a Tolly 44 from 8.2s to the Cummins 5.9s. The deal did not advance as he was very proud of his little used 8.2s, and he still is. I'd met a guy who had done a 8.2 to 5.9 conversion, his 44 was spectacular from the layout and performance stand point, both at 8 and 22 knots. The 3208s are OK but I'd prefer a new/reman 5.9, say the 270 or 300HP version.

Cost of $50-60K should do it unless there is excessive stringer, drive line, exhaust and fuel system work that needs upgrading too.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I was involved in a twin replacement of Ivecos with Cats. Not my boat, I was trying to get satisfaction for the owner, from the original contractor. The original estimate was $40k and the final bill was well over $100k. Surprises at every turn. The hatches needed redesign, the stringers weren't in the right place, the shaft logs had to move, the exhausts were a different size and on the wrong side of the engines, etc, etc,...
Unless you are doing like for like, be prepared for a significant overrun on your costs.

My own repower was like for like, so doing my own labour, including the cost of the engines, I was in and done for about $5k.
Look for engines for sale on Boatdiesel.com. There are often good deals there.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #14

I was hoping that someone on here had done a 8.2 to 5.9 conversion and could tell me if it was hard($$$) or easy.