Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
One more warning. I would want to see the new engines arrive and uncrated and check serial numbers to insure they are in fact new engines, just off the lines and not having been sitting, and most definitely not rebuilt engines. Also to insure all engine parts and accessories are new, everything.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #82
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
One more warning. I would want to see the new engines arrive and uncrated and check serial numbers to insure they are in fact new engines, just off the lines and not having been sitting, and most definitely not rebuilt engines. Also to insure all engine parts and accessories are new, everything.
Good Call!!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #83
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I think it most unlikely Volvo does not already know, or is not keen to discover, the precise reason for defects requiring block replacement.
Help me out here....a little double negative action....or triple negative???... Can you sum it up a little more simply???
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Help me out here....a little double negative action....or triple negative???... Can you sum it up a little more simply???
Volvo knows without checking the engine the cause of the failure.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #85
FF
Guru

"Volvo knows without checking the engine the cause of the failure."

Probably because a very high percentage of that production run has already failed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #86
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Volvo knows without checking the engine the cause of the failure."

Probably because a very high percentage of that production run has already failed.
Then stands to reason that including protective questions to hold Volvo's feet to fire upon asked in a previous post... Also make sure the new engines are not from same run and that the run they are from has good results for durability. My heart goes out to boat owner in this terrible situation. Maybe Volvo should give owner extra $10G cash for efforts and duress experienced during this debacle.

I don't like saying this...but feel I should... I've not read or heard too many good things about Volvo diesel engines. Don't know if it's about the engine from factory or marineizing that happens thereafter.

Wonder if owner could sue in court for cash settlement and then install better engines?? Volvo might be happy to settle as that would probably cost them less in long run than replacing the engines. If it were my life in this instance... I'd contact a good attorney before going further. Volvo has already admitted culpability and failure of their product.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Then stands to reason that including protective questions to hold Volvo's feet to fire upon asked in a previous post... Also make sure the new engines are not from same run and that the run they are from has good results for durability. My heart goes out to boat owner in this terrible situation. Maybe Volvo should give owner extra $10G cash for efforts and duress experienced during this debacle.

I don't like saying this...but feel I should... I've not read or heard too many good things about Volvo diesel engines. Don't know if it's about the engine from factory or marineizing that happens thereafter.

Wonder if owner could sue in court for cash settlement and then install better engines?? Volvo might be happy to settle as that would probably cost them less in long run than replacing the engines. If it were my life in this instance... I'd contact a good attorney before going further. Volvo has already admitted culpability and failure of their product.
Most of the Volvo engines sold today are attached to IPS so no practical ability to switch brands of engines. I would also add this. While I've heard a lot of criticism of Volvo over the years, I really haven't heard much on recent years of production. This situation does surprise me. When it came to gas engines on boats on the lake, Volvo had developed as good if not better reputation than Mercruiser. In fact, the general view was better engine but more expensive to repair. In terms of diesel, I see very little Volvo being installed today, other than IPS. The few builders I see using non-IPS Volvo appear to be builders who also use a lot of IPS.

If you get a new engine to replace the one giving problems, properly installed, and with a full new engine warranty, then be very thankful. Don't get greedy beyond and do not threaten at any point involving attorney's or suing. The moment litigation enters the picture, then they turn it over to their legal staff and any agreed solution may be out the window.

Now, when I say I believe they know the problem, I look at that as good in this situation. It means they also know the engines involved, have corrected current models, and know how not to repeat it.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #88
Art
Guru

Quote:
Most of the Volvo engines sold today are attached to IPS so no practical ability to switch brands of engines. I would also add this. While I've heard a lot of criticism of Volvo over the years, I really haven't heard much on recent years of production. This situation does surprise me. When it came to gas engines on boats on the lake, Volvo had developed as good if not better reputation than Mercruiser. In fact, the general view was better engine but more expensive to repair. In terms of diesel, I see very little Volvo being installed today, other than IPS. The few builders I see using non-IPS Volvo appear to be builders who also use a lot of IPS.

If you get a new engine to replace the one giving problems, properly installed, and with a full new engine warranty, then be very thankful. Don't get greedy beyond and do not threaten at any point involving attorney's or suing. The moment litigation enters the picture, then they turn it over to their legal staff and any agreed solution may be out the window.

Now, when I say I believe they know the problem, I look at that as good in this situation. It means they also know the engines involved, have corrected current models, and know how not to repeat it.
Trusting soul.

Old saying: First time shame on you... Second time shame on me.

I agree that it may be best to do as you recommend by letting Volvo effect the swap... etc. But then again it may not. I get extremely pointed when facing circumstances anything like this.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #89

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
What hp ratings are these d4's? A few years ago, a boat that I had taken notice of, and that I had seen more than a few times, at different locations, was in a yard in Blaine, for engine changes. The boat was about 36 feet, sportfisher style, one off built locally, weighing I would guess around 20k. I had spoken with owner in Friday Hbr, while I was admiring his boat. It was powered by d4's, 260 hp wth legs. I thought it was underpowered, and asking a lot of these 4 banger engines, which are pretty hi-tech with turbos and superchargers for this particular boat. Don't know what his problem was, but he was getting new motors. At the time I had a similar but smaller boat powered by ad41 Volvos, and the newer models of my boat were using d4's. Always thought they were a good choice, shorter and wider than the 41's, but hp ratings of up to 310, if I am remembering correctly. Good luck.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Trusting soul.

Old saying: First time shame on you... Second time shame on me.

I agree that it may be best to do as you recommend by letting Volvo effect the swap... etc. But then again it may not. I get extremely pointed when facing circumstances anything like this.
Well, it's a matter of wanting the boat back in service. I wasn't trusting, very rigid requirements. But involving lawyers will turn a 90 day exercise into years. Most corporations will discuss, will argue, will debate, but the minute an attorney is brought into the equation they refer it to their legal department and those in operations will no longer be allowed to speak with you.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #91
Art
Guru

Quote:
Well, it's a matter of wanting the boat back in service. I wasn't trusting, very rigid requirements. But involving lawyers will turn a 90 day exercise into years. Most corporations will discuss, will argue, will debate, but the minute an attorney is brought into the equation they refer it to their legal department and those in operations will no longer be allowed to speak with you.
What you say may and can be true. And, yes, legal shitt in this case could become a PIA. However... how long will it be before the boat is back in service by Volvo replacing the twins? A year, I bet cha... if lucky. Then, boat has... another pair of "Volvo" engines. What if another, different problem arises that Volvo simply shrugs shoulders at. I could be wrong on how I would handle this, but, what ifs that represent downside risks... piss me off!

I'm not saying that at least at onset just letting Volvo do as they currently promise seems easiest way to go. But, watch out for the during and after effects. Doubtful that Volvo will be giving this twin engine replacement task to their highest qualified... and... they will probably want to save $$$ at every turn. By having them replace the engines boat owner needs to be vigilant the whole time to make sure things are done correctly and with best "Volvo" products available. That could eat up a lot of owner's time and effort. What a headache!!

If this is given to a reputable marine lawyer the owner can wait to get cash settlement with little to no personal time invested. Sure, boat will need to sit idle for long period; proving this mess is a headache no matter which way one turns.

I'm only giving the way I see it; and, would probably do it. BTW, I'm a scrappy SOB, when needed.

Most important thing is for owner to look clearly at all sides before diving in... then, upon decision - - > Go For It!

At very least I would speak with one or two marine lawyers for their input.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #92
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Sure hope nobody from Volvo is following this thread. The mention of the L word hits the right desk and the OP will never hear from them again outside of a courtroom.

A year Art? To replace a single pair of diesels? Really?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #93
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Sure hope nobody from Volvo is following this thread. The mention of the L word hits the right desk and the OP will never hear from them again outside of a courtroom.

A year Art? To replace a single pair of diesels? Really?
If that is true due to my posts - Then I request that Mods delete all my threads regarding same - This one of Craig's too.

Yup - a year! Bet cha a goldfish!
Old 04-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #94

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I never deal through attorneys for reasons all of you know.

Volvo has been very responsible to this point and I plan to stay this course until we reach an impasse.

Do you know if I can tell the engine manufacture date by the serial numbers?
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post

Do you know if I can tell the engine manufacture date by the serial numbers?
Yes, you can. I don't know the Volvo numbering but any Volvo employee or mechanic should be able to tell you.

Ultimately, they're acting responsibly and you cross your fingers, hoping that continues. There were really only two choices and they were replace the engines or rescind the sale and the latter was not going to happen. Only if you purchased it and had it in a state with a boat lemon law and very few have such. You like the boat. Volvo is addressing the problem. That's about as good as it could be. I don't think you're talking a year or even close. My guess would be 90 days, but it may require you staying on top of it to make that happen.

What do they have to do to remove the engines and install the new? I don't know what size hatches you have.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #96
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I once had a problem with a Volvo company car rusting.
I discovered later I wasn't the only one to have this problem.
We had 15 Volvo trucks and an outboard at the time and when I asked Volvo if they would remedy the fault they refused point blank, even to repaint the car.
When I explained the amount of money we spent with them every year they still refused point blank.
Naturally all the Volvo products were traded quickly as we switched to other marques.
Volvo begged us to reconsider and offered many 'sweeteners' but we never bought anything Volvo again.
Your very very lucky to get a long block out of them.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 AM   #97

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Engines Replaced!

Well, Volvo replaced both engines with new "bob tails" this week, completely under warranty.
Very happy with how everything was handled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6971.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	58063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7076.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	58064  
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #98
Guru

What a bad experience but I'm very pleased that Volvo has stepped up to the plate, as they certainly could have done otherwise.

Backing up a moment. You said a stock boat with 30 hours on it in November 2012 when you took possession. Had it never been registered or titled? How did it get 30 hours?

Why do I ask? A lot can happen in the first 30 hours of engine use. Go out and run them for long periods at WOT or don't vary the speed or any number of other things contrary to appropriate break-in procedures. Now, you'd think most of that would show up in other ways, but who knows. I also suspect yours are not the only time Volvo has encountered this issue, but they may not know why either.

Do be careful with the new engines and very carefully follow break in recommendations from the owner's manual. Hopefully, you'll have a long enjoyable time with them.

I compliment Volvo, but I also compliment you on your handling of this. You made it easy for them to do the right thing. You approached them in a non-confrontational way, doing what was necessary to give them the chance to respond honorably. You didn't assume they would refuse to help you, but gave them the benefit of the doubt as long as they didn't show themselves not to deserve it. Fortunately, they never showed that. Instead, they worked with you. They're out a lot of dollars, you're out a lot of time and pleasure. You both had a very unpleasant situation, but it would have been a whole lot worse had either you or them not responded in the manner you did.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:03 AM   #99
Guru

That`s a feather in Volvo`s cap! They get flak on TF for parts price/availability,but that`s support.
"You mess up, you fix up" is a good rule. And they did.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:46 AM   #100
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Yes, well handled all round. We say 'Volvo' as its just one entity but of course its the local dealer/manager representing Volvo that is in the hot seat, or who is the primary influencer for your experience. Hopefully the manager involved in this case gets wide recognition within the Volvo organisation for doing the right thing and inspires his peers to always do the same.