Old 06-12-2016, 11:15 PM   #21

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Is there anything besides that wooden beam holding them in place? Do the tanks lock together so they do not shift? Looks very nice and easy to tell if you have any leaks between the tanks in the future. Should last a good long time.

Kevin

tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Speaking of fuel vents, what's the best method to fix a clogged fuel vent? Currently have that problem for one of my tanks.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Speaking of fuel vents, what's the best method to fix a clogged fuel vent? Currently have that problem for one of my tanks.
Have you considered sucking on it?

OK, if not, how about a little pressurized air after checking the vent opening. Spiders can be a problem in our area.

I gotta say that those are some very sweet tanks!! I got a chance to see the port side completed while they were still cutting on the stbd tank. When Ray mentioned something about a free lunch, that was it...we were gone before he changed his mind. (Thanks again for the lunch, Ray!)

The tanks are nested in a way so they don't shift. They're an engineering and manufacturing marvel when seen close, if you like that kind of thing...

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
... Spiders can be a problem in our area....

Spiders?!! Talk about spiders! Feel they are overtaking the world. Am constantly (every time visiting the boat) destroying their webs. Still, their poop is winning. One good thing: they remain on the exterior.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:27 AM   #25
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Kevin,

The photo was taken before the installation was complete. Additional wood frame was installed to further secure the tanks. I'll post a finished photo in a couple of weeks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Giggitoni

Nice reporting on the job. Several GBs have gone through a tank replacement. Nothing beats eyes on the issue. Did some GBs have a forever repeated design that trapped water, leaky teak decks, low use meaning old stale fuel, flat tank bottoms sitting on rotting keepers or ???

Is there a hint on what you've seen for those looking at older boats and specific areas to look at carefully to lessen chances of tank problems?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #27

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Thanks Gig, I thought that might be the case. I'm just waiting for my Starboard side tank to spring a leak this gives me some good ideas for when it happens. I know it's just a matter of time as two other tanks have leaked before. One was repaired by cutting off 2 inches from the bottom of the tank and welding a new bottom on. Mine are aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Kevin,

The photo was taken before the installation was complete. Additional wood frame was installed to further secure the tanks. I'll post a finished photo in a couple of weeks.
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Giggitoni

Nice reporting on the job. Several GBs have gone through a tank replacement. Nothing beats eyes on the issue. Did some GBs have a forever repeated design that trapped water, leaky teak decks, low use meaning old stale fuel, flat tank bottoms sitting on rotting keepers or ???

Is there a hint on what you've seen for those looking at older boats and specific areas to look at carefully to lessen chances of tank problems?
We were well aware of the potential problems with GB fuel tanks when hunting for our boat. Our tanks checked out well during the survey; dry rust-free tops and no obvious deep rust on the outside.

I was always expecting the tanks to fail from the "inside out" due to old fuel with water condensation. I had my fuel polished a couple of times and didn't find any evidence of water. The old tanks had a bottom drain which I would carefully open from time to time. Never found any water. Never any water in my dual Racors. Kept the tanks full to minimize space for water condensation. Also, I have always kept the engine room dry by using a passive electric oil heater along with dehumidifier fans.

As it turns out, over the course of 29 years, water would collect between the black tank bottom and a strip of neoprene at each corner. It wouldn't dry out! Water would come from various sources; poorly sealed deck filler, fresh water line leak behind the tanks out of view, wet exhaust risers and piping near the tanks.... The tanks rusted from the "outside in" at those spots under the corners.

If I had known this years ago (crystal ball time!), I would have jacked the tanks up enough to remove the strip of neoprene and replaced it with a "foot" of black iron. The tanks don't need to be dampened and stray water wouldn't have a place to collect and rot away at the tanks.

It's probably a good idea to make sure the deck fuel fills are bedded properly. And, in the case of a GB with teak decks, make sure the bungs and seams are in good shape to minimize water intrusion.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #29

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Well Ray, we will certainly be investigating working with American Tanks or a similar company here in the east. Just a few weeks after out first tank started leaking and its subsequent pump out, our second fuel tank started leaking as well. We had to pump out all the rest of the fuel while at the dock to avoid a big spill. So what to do when sitting at a dock with both tanks empty of diesel and not removable/replaceable without cutting them out in place as you did?

We added a 19 gallon auxiliary tank in the lazarette... an easy connection to the fuel manifold in the engine room and we are back on the water for short cruises until haulout in October. Tank removal and replacement can happen over the winter.... assuming we can afford it....

Thanks again Ray for all the info in your posts and look forward to any additional pix and technical info about the design and install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0406.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	54105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0407.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	54106  
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #30
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Al if I recall you changed tanks 20+ years ago and mentioned a couple years back the possibility of doing it again. Or do I have you confused with someone else?
I think you have me confused with someone else.

I hope you have me confused with someone else.

You better have me confused with someone else.

I feel bad for that someone else.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Of all the things I miss I miss my mind the most Al

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Of all the things I miss I miss my mind the most Al
Don't worry Craig. It happens to the best of us, (like me), so we just call it a senior moment.