Removing stuck Injector washer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphyost

Vessel Name
Say GoodBye
Vessel Make
21 Mako
Just removed all my injectors. One of the copper washers is stuck in the head. Tried with a screw driver but its really stuck. Not moving at all.

Can anyone suggest a tool or method to get it out?

thanks
R.

Maybe an ez-out or a tap/die set might have the ability to "grab" the edges of the washer and provide you enough friction to remove it.

Had the same problem on a Perkins 4-236, used a bolt which was a little over the diameter of the washer (for the Perkins a head bolt works). Screwed it in with finger power and pulled the bolt out with the washer attached.

Ralph,
The washer should be made of copper- very soft of course. I have removed a couple in the past by using a narrow chisel and "cut" the washer in two places, 180 apart. When you hit the chisel you want to cut most of the way through- but not quite. If you damage the face below the washer you may never get it to seal again. Of course work as clean as possible to keep debris out of the cylinder.

Forkliftt wrote:When you hit the chisel you want to cut most of the way through- but not quite. If you damage the face below the washer you may never get it to seal again.

Ya, no kiddin!* New head time.* I think I might leave that method until last resort.* I'd try to get a hook tool under the lip of the washer that's hopfully in the center bore.* Just don't scrape the head any.* A bolt threaded into the washer is good too, then pry the head with a screwdriver, and perhaps a piece of wood as a fulcrum point.* Once you get it to move just a bit, it should loosen right up.* ................Arctic Traveller

I talked to Bob Smith and he recommends this tool from Sears
http://tinyurl.com/2b2vkjm
but the one I got from Sears was only $4. Same tool.

Attachments

• oringextractor.jpg
    oringextractor.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 4,320
ralphyost wrote:

I talked to Bob Smith and he recommends this tool from Sears
http://tinyurl.com/2b2vkjm
but the one I got from Sears was only $4. Same tool.
Also useful for scaling the dogs teeth.
smile.gif

JD wrote:
Also useful for scaling the dogs teeth.
smile.gif
Or picking out periwinkles and lobster meat.

Sorry Ralph:),
Not trying to cause you to replace a cylinder head. I guess in my world "stuck" involves more than a seal pick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom