Removing & Installing Gearbox data plates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquabelle

Guru
I have ordered replacement data plates for my Twin Disc transmissions (originals are corroded & will soon be un-readable).

Does anyone know the 'trade trick' for removing the dome-head screws (or are they rivets?) that hold the data plates to the transmission case?

And how are the new plates best re-fixed?

They are blind rivits, put in with a small hammer.
I usually use a pair of side cutters to remove them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

OK, managed to remove them, but had to mini-hacksaw under most of the 'rivets'. One fastener came out intact...photo attached of old plate (installed with engines in 1998) and this fastener. Is this a 'blind rivet'?

I'd have to drill the other fasteners out to re-fix the new plates the same way. I've decided to instead fasten the new plates to an engine room bulkhead where data like the ratio, oil pressure, serial # and b.o.m. # are readily visible to anyone needing it. I'll put the original plates in a zip-lock so any surveyor/future purchaser can see new matches old.

Attachments

• Original TD Data Plate & Fastener.jpg
    Original TD Data Plate & Fastener.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
OK, managed to remove them, but had to mini-hacksaw under most of the 'rivets'. One fastener came out intact...photo attached of old plate (installed with engines in 1998) and this fastener. Is this a 'blind rivet'?

I'd have to drill the other fasteners out to re-fix the new plates the same way. I've decided to instead fasten the new plates to an engine room bulkhead where data like the ratio, oil pressure, serial # and b.o.m. # are readily visible to anyone needing it. I'll put the original plates in a zip-lock so any surveyor/future purchaser can see new matches old.

I'll be a good adhesive or even heavy duty double stick tape would hold them in place just fine.

Agreed....if I were going to put the plates back on the transmission body, I'd use an adhesive. But where the plates go they're hidden under pipework, air cleaners etc and in the case of the Port transmission, read-able only with the aid of a borescope: so I'll put them somewhere sensible.

I used to work for a old woodworking machinery company that rebuilt a lot of old equipment . Every time they rebuilt a pc of equipment they would put a tag on it with these blind twist rivets . People get hurt every day in wood working shops and the lawsuits were building up . The owner would give us $3.00 a pc for everyone if those tags we would cut off and bring back . I would go out on the road for a week at a time selling equipment . Sometimes I'd bring back a shoe box full . I would tell the customers that it was a sentimental thing for the owner .

Just to complete this thread: photo attached of newly arrived blank Twin Disc plates. I'll get them engraved and then mount just inside engine room entry hatch where they'll be clearly visible and not subject to engine painting, corrosion etc.

Attachments

• Twin Disc Plates.jpg
    Twin Disc Plates.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 106
Hi,
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I have a similar issue.

Where did you buy the data plates?

Mine are barely legible, and Twin Disc is for some reason making it very hard to source replacement data plates.

Thanks

Theweis: I got them from my local (Sydney, Australia) TD parts dealer. I first called the TD distributor/head office, which happens to be in Brisbane. They wanted me to send them back the old plates first and said they'd then engrave new plates to match, destroy the old and return the new engraved plates to me. Cannot remember now how much but not cheap. Then I learnt there was a TD parts place in Sydney (actually just outside), called them and there was no fuss, they just posted out new blank plates. Had them engraved at the local mall and have retained the original plates as 'proof' of compliance. They were cheap, too.

Thank you sir! I will try local parts guys instead of TD.

Apparently I have Nikko gears and so my data plate is somewhat of a rare/hard to find item?

Not sure what the connection is between the gear manufacturer and a painted piece of sheet metal but there you are!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom