Removed HW Heater--Now what to do with connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul-b

Good Day,

I removed a leaky hot water heater that ran off the waste heat of the engine. By the looks of it, I'd say it was one of the Seward Products heat exchangers.

What should I do with the two connections to the engine (it is a Cummins 4bt)?

I guess there are two options:
1. stop them off (i.e. plug the inlet/outlets as if they never existed)
2. run a hose from one to the other (kind of simulating that the HW heater was still there

Thanks.

Or put in a new hot water heater. What will you do for hot water otherwise..? If planning a different type altogether, then blanking off would seem to make most sense, or otherwise you will just be left with another potential source of leaks to no purpose.

Or put in a new hot water heater. What will you do for hot water otherwise..? If planning a different type altogether, then blanking off would seem to make most sense, or otherwise you will just be left with another potential source of leaks to no purpose.

Maybe, someday, a new heater. But for this phase in life I seek simplicity in all phases of life..including my boat's systems.

Blanking off seems does seem to be the lower risk option.

Blank it off with shut off valves so when you decide to reinstall the heater you don't loose all your coolant.

Depends on where it is at on the engine coolant run. Some engines tap off a parallel path for a "bus" heater, on others it is in series with the coolant flow. If it is in series, plugging the lines would be a bad idea.

Believe it or not, the VolvoPenta drawing to add a heater to my engine is in series with the line going to the turbocharger cooling jacket.

I believe you but I betch'a your turbo cooling loop is in parallel (with much less flow) to the flow to the block and head.

So, in series with a parallel flow doesn't make it in series with the jacket water cooling circuit.

You may be very well right. I'm in an airport now, but when I get home I'll check it out. But either way, plugging it off would be a " bad thing".

Not saying it is so for the OP, but blindly blanking coolant flow off on the advice of others on an internet forum is a tad risky.

One should understand the consequences of their actions.

Not saying it is so for the OP, but blindly blanking coolant flow off on the advice of others on an internet forum is a tad risky.

You got that right!

Before changing anything on the engine or its external appendages, the wise owner will fully understand the purpose and function and potential effects of changing anything.

You may be very well right. I'm in an airport now, but when I get home I'll check it out. But either way, plugging it off would be a " bad thing".

Awesome reply! This should be your new signature.

I made some edits to make it more generic:

Blindly taking the advice of others on an internet forum is a tad risky.

Work for ya?

BTW: I hired a Cummins saavy guy to figure it out.

paul- "for this phase in life I seek simplicity in all phases of life..including my boat's systems."

IMHO, you can follow a course toward a simple life, or you can own an old mechanically driven boat. I find the two go together like oil & water(which probably leaves you with head gasket issues).

FWIW, I'm with Peter B on this, keep it simple, replace the heater.

#2 sounds like a quick fix. Just till you figure out what you really want to do.

I will tell you one thing hot water will sure wash off the fish slime a whole lot better than cold.

SD

Depends on where it is at on the engine coolant run. Some engines tap off a parallel path for a "bus" heater, on others it is in series with the coolant flow. If it is in series, plugging the lines would be a bad idea.

Yes, true, but I gave Paul the credit of knowing enough that he would check that out first.

Back
Top Bottom