Remanufacturers ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I have a friend that blew his engine in a 28' Carver.
Apparently it seized up a while ago and he and a friend started taking it apart and left it open to the weather. It's a total loss.
He has a 351 Ford and needs to have it completely replaced this summer.
Where would someone go to buy a remanufactured engine in Gulfport, Ms. or anywhere for that matter?
Thanks in advance.

Marinepower

Marine Power - The force behind the fun!

Where my boss used to buy 454s for the towboats....but then he just started shopping around for longblocks and got them from wherever the best price was.

Usually in the back of local marine rags someone is advertising long blocks...total power packages can be pricey so shipping may be worth it for the right price.

Nothing really special about the basic gas engines. Had one friend who DIY re-powered his Chevy 350's with re manufactured long blocks and was fine except torque was a little bit low for getting up on a plane when the boat was loaded.

Ended up replacing the cams at his expense, which in hindsight he should have spec'd or done prior to installation.

Make sure you get the marine cam, pistons and heads. Pistons have a variety of compression ratios (heads too), and cam lift/duration is different from car engines. Get that stuff wrong and engine will be doggy. Even if rusted, heads are probably recoverable. So you might just need a marine short block and get the heads gone through. A lot of cheap crap out there in the gas engine world. Hard to spec parts with confidence you are avoiding junk.

If direct cooled, timing cover is different (cast Fe vs Al).

Well, he hired a jerk water mechanic and they started to strip the engine and then left it somewhat open and unprotected. The cylinder walls are rusted up with the pistons. Everything is just one or several pieces of rusty crap. Another mechanic came by to look at it and he said it was all junk now.

Anyway, I will send him the links, thanks.

JASPER among others sell rebuilt marine engines.

Or IF you can wait they will rebuild your engine.

Rust should not be a problem IF the can get the engine apart as it will be bored and honed with new pistons installed.

Crusaider is the best if you decide to go big buck. NEW!

From Google,

1. Marine Engines Inboard - usenginesinc.com‎

www.usenginesinc.com/‎1 (855) 440 4759
    7-Year Warranty Our engine designs will save 25% on gas & more power
  2. Marine Engine Depot - MarineEngineDepot.com‎

www.marineenginedepot.com/‎
    Great Selection & Prices on GM, Mercruiser & Marine Power Engines
  3. Rebuilt Marine Engines - 100,000 Mile / 7 Year Warranty‎

www.sandjengines.com/MarineEngines
    Price Match Guarantee!
    Rebuilt Marine Engines - Rebuilt Truck Engines - Our Philosophy
Search Results

1. Jasper Marine Products - JASPER Engines & Transmissions

www.jasperengines.com/marine-products.php‎
    Whether it's a marine engine, stern drive, outboard lower unit or outboard powerhead, Jasper Marine has the remanufactured product to get you back in the ...
  2. Jasper Marine Engines, Inboard, I/O Engine

www.jasperengines.com/marine-engines.php‎
    If you've experienced a marine engine failure, we'd like you to consider a JASPER remanufactured marine engine.

Last edited:
Tony,

For what it's worth, I have a 351 Ford Commander Marine engine That is in my Trojan Cruiser that I am beginning to part out. I replaced the original Chrysler 318 IB with this new complete engine just after I bought the Trojan. Best decision, it has been flawless since. It is a LH rotation 250HP That I bought from new from Perkins Great Lakes (now power Great Lakes in Suburban Chicago. PGL was marinizing Ford engines under the Commander name for OMC boat companies that needed straight inboards. I think mine was destined for Chris Craft. It is painted grey and orange OMC colors with some OMC accesories. It is a low hour excellent runner. It is raw water cooled but has never been in salt. It has a 1:1 Borg Warner Velvet drive,
150 amp alternator and dual belt drive and dual remote mount oil filters. Let me know if your friend might be interested. I am thinking of asking $1500 depending on how much stuff a buyer wanted to go with it. As is It would be a drop-in replacement for a Mastercraft or other tournament ski boat.

Back
Top Bottom