Old 10-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #21
Guru

I got a bad load of fuel once. In Mystic Ct at a high volume fuel dock. The filter disintegrated or something and it wasn't until a couple weeks later that I found out.
Stopped me cold 2 times. Luckily I was never in a bad situation either of those times.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
The possibility of bad fuel is the reason I have a dual Racor setup. Mine is plumbed so that I can draw from either of my two tanks and return to either tank. With the flip of a valve I can have a new fuel filter in line. In addition I run my system so that I only add fuel to one tank (tank 1). The other tank (tank 2) is filled by selecting tank 1 as the fuel source and setting the return to tank 2. That way tank 2 only has filtered fuel in it. If it is choppy I run off tank 2.

For a twin engine setup I would run two dual racor setups. A pair of Racor 751000MAX dual filter assemblies would only set you back $2,500 or so. They are rated for fuel flow to 175 GPH. A pair of Racor 75500MAX dual filter assemblies would only cost about $1,700. They are rated to 60 GPH.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #23
Guru

I agree totally with TDunn. Definitely the way to go. No risk of being stopped by bad fuel provided you always have spare filters on board for the duel filter switch over.
If space or cost limited, then I would advocate still using the dual filter set-up fed by both tanks (valved appropriately) and feeding both engines. That still gives better security than single filters for each engine which can both plug at the same time with no easy way to change filters underway.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote