Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswizzler View Post
If you take his line to heart, maybe you put two of his filters in front of racor twin and never need to switch between the two racors.
You're close. If you do nothing more than install a big Fleetguard (30u) in front of your Racors (10u) followed by the on engine you will have a very good 3 stage filter system. Your DD92s circulate a lot of fuel, thus providing a very good continual fuel filtering, likely a greater rate than most do with their onboard fuel polishing systems.

Unless you begin building up a vacuum. your Fleetguard would easily last for 12 months or 10,000+ gallons. Many fuel docks use a 30u Fleetguard mounted right on the pump/line. I've heard many of the dock guys say it will last for months. In my industrial experience we routinely did a filter change every week on the tank farm or every 25,000 gallons or so

Unless you travel where bad fuel is common, redundancy for each stage of filtering with all sorts of valves needlessly complicates things with greater potential for air leaks and engine shutdowns.

My 2 cents worth ------

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Interesting. My secondary filter is 2 microns. My twin Racor elements primary elements are 2 micron, as recommended by my local Perkins supplier. I inadvertently installed some Napa 10 micron filters on the stbd Racors. I was planning to replace them with 2 micron elements. Is this overkill? (85 HP Perkins 4.236)

(Sorry for the creep, Mark!)

Mark, I don't know the brand of my primary filter housing, but I suspect it's not Racor. However, Racor elements fit in the unit perfectly.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've dual Racor filters for my single engine. I use one at a time. When one fails to provide enough fuel for full power, I switch to the second one.

P.S. I use two-micron filters.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #24
FF
Guru

The proper tank to engine switching valves , two sets of passages switched together , for feed and return, are sometimes hard to find and boat $toopid priced.

A simple solution is a pair of 3 way valves with a connector to gang them together .

Move one , the other gets moved too.

KISS and cheap.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Interesting. My secondary filter is 2 microns. My twin Racor elements primary elements are 2 micron, as recommended by my local Perkins supplier.
With the Perkins moving a total of probably 3 gph, any size of filter opening should be fine. On a DD92 series with 50+gph moving around the engine filter body size and aperture opening is a bigger issue.

The points made by Mark on switching filters go back to the possibility of construction debris in his tanks.

Fluid filtering 101, and recommended by Racor and all other filter suppliers is sequential filtering. Whether we need sequential or not on our toy boats where some use no more than a few hundred of gallons of fuel per year is debatable.

Look at the size of the fuel filter on your car, moving far more fuel than most do on their boats and you can quickly grasp the capacity overkill most of our vessels have. Even on your big diesel pickup using fuel from same supplier as fills your boat tank, look at how small the filters are, point being any half way sensible filter arrangement will suffice on our small recreational vessels unless you punch a hole in your deck fuel cap of course.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
FF
Guru

will suffice on our small recreational vessels unless you punch a hole in your deck fuel cap of course.

What deck fuel fill cap?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #27

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
As for fuel filtering 101 I did not mean to disagree with the idea of sequenced filters in, my only question is how many are required. I have the filter on the DD692 block and before that I have my racor 1000. If I have a pair of the 1000's that are hot swappable in case one gets clogged and the one on the block is that enough ? I do have a pressure gauge on each filter, but I suspect if I shake something loose from my tank it will get caught on the first filter.

Just alittle background, I have only put a few hundred hours on these engines in the past two years, in the calm waters of the CA Delta, but shortly expect to begin taking this out the Golden Gate where I expect the water will not be a gentle. The boat with the existing set up has run up and down the coast from SF to San Diego at least 4 times that I'm aware of, but this will be my first outing to the big water.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #28

City: Hong Kong
I am going with the Dual-Dual approach that Tony suggest - partly because Fleetguard is available all over the world (even China - not sure about Racor) and partly because its a simple set-up, where one has to monitor the gauge and deliberately make the decision (based on knowledge) when to change from one set of filters to the other set.

If this check is done hourly (as it should) then a single engine boat should not end up without fuel....
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #29
FF
Guru

>If I have a pair of the 1000's that are hot swappable in case one gets clogged and the one on the block is that enough<

Works for my much smaller 6-71.

The problem is when you begin to run again IF gunk is in the tank it will break loose in large motion times and may plug the primary.

Not a big deal if it takes hours and you have a cars or two of filters , a very big deal if its every 30 min.

Happily the DD flow so much fuel that the usual tank will be far cleaner after a few hours than at the trips start.

A tank clean out should be installed and a wooden spoon or scraper used.

Dockside tank cleaning service is as useful as winning the lottery in Kenya you never entered.