Recently purchased a 26 Tollycraft.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Watts

As I said, recently purchased a 26 Tollycraft and want to install a alternate source of power for emergencys. Probably a 20 hp yamaha and remote sterring. Any ideas of where and how to buy and install.

Welcome aboard. Not from around where you are so I am no help, just wanted to say welcome.

Since it will probably never be needed , I would mount a robust lifting outboard bracket on the stern. No drag underway.

The std rudder will steer the boat with the OB in the straight ahead position.

A 4 or 6HP or so would be easy to lift and hook to your dink and should give 3/4 hull speed in an emergency..

Welcome John,

FF has a good idea. A small outboard can do double duty as a get-home motor, allow you to fish at an appropriate speed, and give you a motor to use with a dinghy. It doesn’t take a lot of power.

Welcome! We have the same boat, no backup propulsion on ours, but several others on our dock do. I like FF's idea as well, I've also seen several with 10hp kickers on hydraulic lifting brackets, used mainly for fishing.

The standard rudder *may* be enough to have some control, but these boats do have a reputation for difficult low speed handling. I do most of my slow maneuvering with a hard over rudder and quick bursts of throttle to get some water moving across the rudder. The low hp option might be enough to get you to a marina, but you may need some help once there getting to the dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom