Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 AM   #1

3208N exhaust leak

Engine is 3208N leaking at the inboard most exhaust outlet where the 90 degree rubber elbow slips over the fiberglass tube carrying the exhaust to the outboard exhaust sytem. The leading edge of the fiberglass tube has a "dimple" in it hence the hose clamps are unable to get a tight seal. The easiest solution would seem to be get a new rubber elbow with a couple inches more length to that end which would put it over good round fiberglass and the clamps would tighten up. The present elbow is just rubber, flexible and no wire in it. Donīt know if this is standard or not but easy to work with. Hate to go trough the effort to try to make the end of the fiberglass tube "rounder" by fiberglassing and certainly hope donīt have to remove and replace the whole fiberglass cross over and Y sytem. Not very easy to get in there and work, as is probably typical on most boats of 34 foot in length.

If I can find a rubber elbow of proper size and length does it have to be a special compositon to handle the temperature of the exhaust? I thought I would check the rubber specialities places and see what I can find. The non turbo 3208 doesnīt seem to get too hot when touching that rubber elbow. Thanks.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
RE: 3208N exhaust leak

Might be easier to just patch the fiberglass...I've done it several times with success...if you just had straight hose it would be one thing..but a 90 degree...may be hard to find with longer leads...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Ray

That was typical of the fiberglass exhaust tubes on the Californians. *They used mat Fiberglass to form the tubes. While the inside, which was over the pipe form, was nice and smooth, the outside was left rough and was difficult to get a seal with the exhaust boot. *

Take the pipe off and lightly grind the uneven high point areas down. *Don't go to far into the tube though. *Once it is fairly even, paint the area you ground down with fiberglass resin mixed with hardener and a topping agent (so you can sand it.) *Sand it smooth, if there are voids mix some chopped fiberglass with resin and fill them in and re-sand. *Repeat this step until you get it right. *

Mine tapered down at the end, which didn't help sealing to the boot which didn't taper, so I built them up a little and smoothed them out and it solved the problem.

Good luck

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

Edelweiss, your suggestion would be the best, but as you know getting that tube out looks like a real job, since the other end with the Y is difficult to get to. Hopefully i can find an elbow with a little longer lead before i begin fiberglassing. Ray
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V

You will always have problems with the fiberglass tubing eventually crushing. Centec Inc makes marine fiberglass tubing for wet exhaust. They also make stainless steel crush sleeves that fit inside the end of the fiberglass tube. I have 6v92/TA Detroit engines with 5" exhausts. I installed the crush sleeves about 6 years ago and I haven't had a leak since. Previously it was a twice annual thing that one of the 4 tubing sections would start leaking and require repair.
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

Tried to find an elbow around Pensacola--no luck. Ordered a new one and have emailed Centec to see how I can order a sleeve from them. Nearest source is Panama City. Going to see if fitting the sleeve in will enable a seal with the new elbow. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I had an issue with a loose fitting elbow on the fiberglass tubing. I wrapped the fiberglass tube with rescue tape. The tape is pliable enough to seal tightly with the fiberglass and together with the clamp, provides a tight connection. It comes in one inch and two inch widths.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #8

3208N exhaust leak

Ordered the $75.00 crush sleeve from Centec, but unfortunately it won't fit into the tube. Even after we cut the taper out it still doesn't fit. I guess the plan is now to get a sleeve that will fit into the crush sleeve which in turn will fit into the tube. Have to weld the two sleeves together. It is also noted the crush sleeve is quite loose inside the new elbow. Not sure if it will tighten up, but could we take a few turns around it with rescue tape to enable the boot to tighten?

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Sunday 13th of November 2011 07:19:18 AM