Raycor 900 FG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex Sailor

Got a pair of these Raycors and decided to change the filters.
After the change, BOTH Raycors leaked from the body / bowl connection even though I used the new O rings on both. Seems like the new O rings ( gaskets ) were not thick enough so BOTH of the bowl flanges were bottoming out. ( without giving these gaskets enough squeeze. ) Admittedly one of them was in a corner of the ER, an absolute bast**d to get to !! Ended up re using the OLD gaskets and putting them around the bowl, before the flange. That seemed to give the flange some distance to squeeze the new one .......... and the leaks were gone ... :)

Has anyone else had that problem with Raycors ?? or was this just a bad batch of gaskets / O rings ... ?

FB

You removed the bowl at the bottom? Filter changes are done by removing the top cap. Or maybe we are talking about different racor models. I know they have a number of them.

You removed the bowl at the bottom? Filter changes are done by removing the top cap. Or maybe we are talking about different racor models. I know they have a number of them.

I Had to clean the bowls !! and... I get the filter change from the top .... good to know ..... thanks :)

Greetings,
I have had occasion to clean the sediment out of our Racor 900's. I used a very long (18" maybe) cable tie (ty-wrap) gently pushed down the side of the bowl past the turbine "thingy" and the cable tie was stiff enough that with agitation, the sediment was put into solution and able to be drained out the bottom. Several rinses with fresh diesel completed the task.

Ok, this is making more sense.

I certainly get needed to clean the bowl as they gat skanked up over time. But unless you bought it separately, you would need to reused the gasket/seal for the bowl. The o-rings and larger black rubber ring that come with the filters are for the top lid. The small o-ring is for the screw-down handle, and the large black one fits in the rim of the lid.

If you are needing to clean the bowl on any regular basis, then your tanks are probably due for a cleaning.

I have always gone for years without and buildup in the bowls. Perhaps others can comment on how long they get between cleanings.

Ok, this is making more sense.

I certainly get needed to clean the bowl as they gat skanked up over time. But unless you bought it separately, you would need to reused the gasket/seal for the bowl. The o-rings and larger black rubber ring that come with the filters are for the top lid. The small o-ring is for the screw-down handle, and the large black one fits in the rim of the lid.

If you are needing to clean the bowl on any regular basis, then your tanks are probably due for a cleaning.

I have always gone for years without and buildup in the bowls. Perhaps others can comment on how long they get between cleanings.

I cleaned out the bowls on mine a couple months ago. I don't think they had been done since the boat was new 7 years ago. The only reason I did it was because I added a valve at the bottom so I could easily drain them to check for water and sediment. I did the same as RT as well as use a rag from the bottom to wipe the inside of the bowl. Then a rinse with some fresh diesel and it was clean. I don't think I'll need to do it for another 7 years since I can now easily drain the bowl of sediment.

Great idea Mr. RT . thanks :) next time I will try that.

Perhaps the easy to get to bowl, could have been left alone .. (?) but the back one in the corner !!! well ... I could not even see the bowl !!!!! I suspect it has not been touched in years so it had to be done.

Re: Seals, I only got one large, one small O ring for the T handle at top and another flat small one which fit the bowl drain plug. Since the top large one looked like it was captive to the lid, I elected to use the new large one on the bowl ....... now looking at some comments, perhaps there is a THICKER one specifically for the bowl ... (?) I did not think of it when I bought the service kits.

Thank you .... FB

Great idea Mr. RT . thanks :) next time I will try that.

Perhaps the easy to get to bowl, could have been left alone .. (?) but the back one in the corner !!! well ... I could not even see the bowl !!!!! I suspect it has not been touched in years so it had to be done.

Re: Seals, I only got one large, one small O ring for the T handle at top and another flat small one which fit the bowl drain plug. Since the top large one looked like it was captive to the lid, I elected to use the new large one on the bowl ....... now looking at some comments, perhaps there is a THICKER one specifically for the bowl ... (?) I did not think of it when I bought the service kits.

Thank you .... FB

There you go. Mystery solved. The large black one with squared off edges is for the lid and is meant to be replaced with each filter change. It can be hard to get out, but a small pick works great.

If you want a new bowl seal you would need to buy that separately or as part of a rebuild kit.

But you don't have any leaks using the old seals, right? So you should be good to go.

Greetings,
I have had occasion to clean the sediment out of our Racor 900's. I used a very long (18" maybe) cable tie (ty-wrap) gently pushed down the side of the bowl past the turbine "thingy" and the cable tie was stiff enough that with agitation, the sediment was put into solution and able to be drained out the bottom. Several rinses with fresh diesel completed the task.

Yep... same exact method here too.

To Mr. RT's tool:

I took a piece of #10 solid strand copper wire, fashioned a very small loop in the end, and mounted a 2" square piece of sponge to the loop. Makes a very effective bowl scrubber.

Ted

This thread is about a week late. Just cleaned mine out by removing it :). But it wasn't that hard, and I'd never seen one apart, so good to do once, look at the check valve, etc. I'll know an easier method next time.

Just replace all seals in my racor. Bowl was extremely dirty from water in system. I had fuel polished and have change filters several time. I am on the way to a cleaner system. There isn't nothing money can't solve! Good luck

Island Run
Rhode island

Every time I clean my Racors I get reminded of my desires for a set of spin ons ala Seaboard Marine. But, a bit of grit is comforting too see and remind me what lurks in the fuel. BTW, Racor offers similar size filters with out the see through marketing bowls.

Greetings,

Ditto here, but I also like Ted's sponge idea. I might try that next time.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom