Raw Water Strainer Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanisK

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
NightinGayle
Vessel Make
Tradewinds 42
The genset raw water strainer needs replacement. The threads that the screw on cap uses are peeling away at the very top, so I need a new one. However I have searched Groco and Perko catalogues but cannot find anything similar to the original. I would like to retain a similar cylindrical style with raw water entry from the bottom and exit from near the top as my bilge doesnt have much space or mounting options to accommodate the more modern shaped strainers.

Apologies but the image is on its side not upright as it is in reality. I couldnt figure out how to delete and reattach a correctly oriented picture..

So the question is does anybody know if this style strainer is still available or better still the name of a supplier?

Many thanks in anticipation

Janis

Attachments

• Genset raw water strainer.jpg
    Genset raw water strainer.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 133
That is an unusual strainer...I am not sure why you don't think you could fit a smaller conventional one, it would be shallower if anything by the look. Also, not really clear in the photo but is that a 'proper' seacock, with a flange against the hull....or just a valve? You may want to take the opportunity to put the whole thing right given the risks associated with seacock and/or strainer failure.

Greetings,
+1 on what Mr. A said. Looks to me to be just a regular thru-hull. A proper seacock should be thru-bolted to the hull.

Greetings,
+1 on what Mr. A said. Looks to me to be just a regular thru-hull. A proper seacock should be thru-bolted to the hull.

Aquabelle and RT, well that raises a whole new issue. I think all of my thru-hulls have a similar set up to my genset raw water valve. Can you post a picture of a "proper" thru-bolted seacock? Whats the problem with what I have?

Thanks so much for that great link RT!

The key features are that a proper flange be incorporated around the base of the valve, allowing through-bolting or large coach-bolts to be used; and that they be of suitable materials: eg: bronze (never brass) or Marlon. You also should be able to stand on the whole seacock/strainer set-up without it breaking. I see that, like me, you are in Australia. I recently replaced two 17-yr old seacocks and I found buying them on-line from the US very cost-effective, given the exchange rate. PM me for details if you wish.

Guys,
I don't know what Sydney is like but I have found buying good quality skin fittings and valves more than competitive thru my local suppliers here in Mooloolaba and Brisbane and if they are not quite what you want they are easy to return to get exchanged or your money back.
I am away at present so can't tell you the brand but recently purchased a new saltwater strainer for my water maker inlet locally and it was the ducks guts and I reckon a good price.

Will be home in a week if this new cyclone doesn't get us and will be able to pass on more info.
Cheers
Benn

There's a mob I've been dealing with called OEM. they are pretty switched on and have the gear to make whatever you want. Haven't bought anything from them yet but will be getting my fittings etc from them.

http://www.marineoemsupply.com/

The bloke I've been emailing is Peter. Great customer service and really nice products.

(I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever)

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

A Noosa mob hay Hendo.
Only 40 k up the road from me and I have never heard of them and I have been in the marine/boat building game for ages.
Looks like they may be just a supply (middle man) outfit.
Cheers
Benn

Isn't sea strainers what the OP posted about?[/QUOTE]

Posts 3,4,5 & 6 were dealing with seacocks....(& it is seacocks I've had trouble sourcing in Oz)

Ring Bill at Harbour & Marine Industrial in Mooloolaba.
Don't have his Phn No on me at present, but he sources any thing and everything for the trawler and long line fleet in Mooloolaba.
I have never had a problem with anything he has sourced and as long as he knows what you want re quality etc he can chase it down.
One of these little one man businesses that knows about customer service.
Cheers
Benn

Ring Bill at Harbour & Marine Industrial in Mooloolaba.
Don't have his Phn No on me at present, but he sources any thing and everything for the trawler and long line fleet in Mooloolaba.
I have never had a problem with anything he has sourced and as long as he knows what you want re quality etc he can chase it down.
One of these little one man businesses that knows about customer service.
Cheers
Benn

Well mate, ill stick this bloke in the same book as Wes :-D. Cheers Benn

Hendo
That Arctic Steel strainer does look the part. Thanks for the tip. Being 316 Stainless the price might be a bit up there ...

Benn
Thanks for the Harbour and Marine Industrial contact. I'll follow him up as well.

Cheers
Janis

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom