Raw Water Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rochepoint

Guru
Vessel Name
Roche Point
Vessel Make
1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Looking for some input. After 27 years I have decided it is time to maybe replace the original raw water pump for a new one, the old pump is a Jabsco 9990-41. My question is and it maybe already answered in my mind but I thought I would see what others say. If you were to purchase a new pump would you buy a Jabsco or Sherwood pump. The Jabsco has 3/4" outlets and the Sherwood has 1" outlets for my Perkins, going bigger is not a problem. What would you do?:confused:

Is this a trick question? 27 years and you want a Sherwood??!!

Not a trick question, just wondering how good the larger Sherwood is, as I have no experience with them. Just wondering what other think of them.

Just curious--- Does Johnson make a pump for the Perkins? They do for the FL120 and it's a vast improvement over the finite-life Lehman raw water pump drive coupler. The stock Jabsco pump on the end of the drive coupler is okay and you can still get rebuild kits for it if not the whole pump new. But the drive coupler is a failure waiting to happen, and eventually it will. So says Bob Smith at American Diesel and he designed it. The coupler cannot be repaired successfully so the cure is to dump the coupler and the pump and install a new Johnson pump.

While the Johnson pump usually installed on an FL120 is 3/4" we had the 1" pump installed. Water flow was increased and most important, the running temperatures of the transmissions went down. The engine temps were unchanged due to the thermostats. But any time you can lower a transmission temperature it's a Good Thing in my opinion.

If Johnson makes a pump that fits the Perkins, based on our experience with their pumps that's the way I'd go.

Not a trick question, just wondering how good the larger Sherwood is, as I have no experience with them. Just wondering what other think of them.
-----------------------------------------------

Sherwood pumps were pretty much the standard on North American 6.354's.
Mine are original 1976 pumps to the boat and I just replaced the cam block and the impeller (which were 5 years old) on both engines. No missing vanes but the cam blocks showed some wear after 35 years.

Only issue I've ever had, is not every marine store carries the replacement impellers and kits, "West marine" for one. But it you order them on line you save $10 - $15 each on the impellers anyway, so not a problem.

You can do a complete internal pump rebuild for $150. New they're about $550

Sherwood, Perkins Water Pump - RPBC.
Manufacturer's original equipment
Fits Perkins engine models: 6-354 Diesel
Replaces Perkins part number NA001175

Larry B

Attachments

• 84466F-f.jpg
    84466F-f.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,032
Last edited:
What's the point? Is your engine overheating and you think you need a bigger pump? I wish I could replace the Sherwood on my engine with a Jabsco. Nothing wrong with the Sherwood but there is no face plate. To change the impeller you have to remove the hoses and the pump housing. It's a big PITA.

I would check with SeaMax to see whether they offer a "knock-off" of the appropriate Sherwood pump. We switched our Cummins to a SeaMax a few years ago and much prefer it.

Thanks for all the input, learned a lot. Johnson does not make a pump without a lot of plumbing and mounting changes, the dealer feels it is not worth it. Seamax makes for the Cummins only and having to dismantle the hoses and body of the Sherwood. Seems that a Jabsco is back in the cards, ask the question and find out if any new technology has crept in. Once again thanks!

I would check with SeaMax to see whether they offer a "knock-off" of the appropriate Sherwood pump. We switched our Cummins to a SeaMax a few years ago and much prefer it.

X2

Nothing wrong with the Sherwood but there is no face plate. To change the impeller you have to remove the hoses and the pump housing. It's a big PITA.
----------------------------------------------
You must have a different model Sherwood pump.. The NA001175 Sherwood pump for 6.354 Perkins has a rear cover and bushing cup that is held on with four bolts. Remove the four bolts and the cover and the impeller slides right out. Unless your hoses are located over the cover plate there should be no reason to remove the pump and hoses to get at the impeller.

Fore and Aft Marine has them listed at 762-RPBC (LIST $637.99) $492.99

762-RPBC SHERWOOD ENGINE COOLING PUMP

Shop them online for your best price.
Larry B

Attachments

• 762-RPBC.gif
    762-RPBC.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 720
IF anyone wants to "roll your own" I have a brand new Volvo 855578 that could easily be hooked to a large DC motor. $200, plus shipping.

Google the Volvo number for photo.

Well just to let every one know I have ordered a new Jabsco pump from my local dealer for a little under $400.00 and bought the items I need to redo the original pump which will now become a 27 year old spare rebuild.The reason was the boat was running a few degrees warmer than normal but seemed to be generating a little more steam out the exhaust. The boat was also do for new water hoses so I might as well do everything. Bolt on spares are a good thing. Thanks to everyone for a the replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom