Old 02-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: San diego
Vessel Name: COWBUOY
Vessel Model: 1974 chb
Raw water pump yes?

I can't find anything in my service manual that shows the location of the raw water pump on my 2725e fl135. I'm going to have to assume this is it as it pulls water from a thru hull and leaks a bit, I wonder why... I guess it got the PO home though ha.
From what I have read so far its hard to find this part. Anybody know what part can replace it? I think the hose clamp is holding a busted something or other together as well so I doubt it can be rebuilt, but then again, I've been wrong before and will continue to be at times.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
That looks like the raw water pump to me. If I were you I would close you sea cock and replace the pump, hoses, and clamps before you reopen it again.

Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

City: Baltimore
Yep. thats it. looks like it has been leaking for awhile. parts won't be hard to source. Call Bob Smith at American Diesel. (804) 435-3107.

If you want it soon i'd call today. I would think he is leaving for trawler fest (2-25 till 3-1) or has maybe already left. I am not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if he closed up shop while he was in FL. Likely a $500 part. not a bad install. if you search ebay they are sometimes on there for a few bucks cheaper.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Read the cover plate and just purchase a kit to rebuild the unit.

If you spring for a new unit , rebuild the old one , and reinstall it.

The impeller should then be removed from the new unit and stored in a plastic bag.

Next time you get in sandy water,and loose cooling , assembling and installing the new unit will be a matter of min.

I prefer to modify the cooling system and place a Sendure inline strainer AFTER the sea water pump.

When the rubber bits come off as the impeller fails , its all caught in the strainer basket , no chasing bits and pieces thru the heat exchanger or exhaust system.

This is insurance that works .

Download Our Catalog - Sen-Dure Products, Inc.

www.sen-dure.com/Sen-DureCatalog.pdf‎
Y. 2-1/2". X. 3/8". Z. 3". Copper/Bronze. 90/10 Cupro. Part No. Nickel Tubes .... In-Line Strainer Parts .... Outboard Strainers ... Cast Bronze In-Line Strainers.

Sendure
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I don't own a Lehman, so I might be wrong, but it looks as though the PO blocked the weep hole with the hose clamp. This would be indicative of bad pump shaft seals (and a clueless PO).

Is your oil milky?

That is some very artistic use of sealant on that pump.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I don't own a Lehman, so I might be wrong, but it looks as though the PO blocked the weep hole with the hose clamp. This would be indicative of bad pump shaft seals (and a clueless PO).

Is your oil milky?

That is some very artistic use of sealant on that pump.
I agree.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
..it looks as though the PO blocked the weep hole with the hose clamp...
It my be that the pump house itself is broken and the hose clamp is keeping the orientation of the inlet/outlet in position to the engine. The picture is from Hobo's SP135

Also Wilson: Is the gray matter, where the pump bolts to the engine soft or hard? it looks like someone either made a gasket or used a hard sealant.

You may what to call in some help after talking to American Diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump 003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	27573  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
It looks to me like a Johnson pump of the type that allows rotating the pump body on the drive. There is supposed to be a cast in clamp that holds the body. Perhaps it is broken and has been replaced with the hose clamp. Cheesy but not the end of the world. There are better alternative clamps available.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Consider me the clueless one then...
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
It looks to me like a Johnson pump of the type that allows rotating the pump body on the drive. There is supposed to be a cast in clamp that holds the body. Perhaps it is broken and has been replaced with the hose clamp. Cheesy but not the end of the world. There are better alternative clamps available.
possibly like this?

You can see a bolt in Larry's post #7...but in the OP looks like both ears are missing....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	27576  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info guys. I believe that hose clamp is there because the housing clamp broke off. The black goop was rubbery, not hard, my guess was it was supposed to be the gasket although a leaky one. The oil seems fine.
So is that "jab300" the part number? Mine looks a little different but not much, I pulled it off yesterday but for got to bring it home. Can I buy just the broke housing for that part?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
"Can I buy just the broke housing for that part?" IF the pump is serviceable as it is, perhaps a better clamp would be cheaper than a new housing. If only one ear is broken off you may have to grind the other ear off as well to get a "roundish" profile. I'm sure Mr. RickB could put you onto the most suitable style of replacement clamp.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Looks to me like the hose clamp does the job good enough not to spend $ right now. I'm going to put an actual gasket on and see how that goes before I get a new one. I will probably put a strainer down line like FF says works, seems smart. thanks again for the info
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #14

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
You might want to make a call to Depco Pumps in Clearwater FL too. It does look like a Johnson pump and they would have the rebuild kits and other parts.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Looks to me like the hose clamp does the job good enough not to spend $ right now. I'm going to put an actual gasket on and see how that goes before I get a new one. I will probably put a strainer down line like FF says works, seems smart. thanks again for the info
Considering that a failure of this part could possibly sink your boat or ruin your engine, don't you think it might be wise to replace the broken pump with a new or professionally rebuilt one? Sure it will cost more than a hose clap or gasket, but it's a boat. Not a cheap hobby.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Its hard to argue with that logic Wesk.... Thanks for your input
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #17
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Wes is right, get another entire unit and keep that one for a spare. It looked to me like that goo on the flange was an attempt to weld it, but whatever was done, that is up there near the top of the list of the most buckshee repairs I've seen. Clean it all out and start over.

That is such a ham-fisted fix, I would be very skeptical of the rest of the (well, not to upset you, not the entire boat) but certainly the entire cooling system. Get those heat exchangers off for a rebuild. Personally, I would replace the oil cooler and the transmission cooler at the very least and keep the old ones for a spare. Change the oil in the engine and the transmission and plan to check the valves and rebuild the injectors. You need a base line as the PO was obviously not too interested in maintenance. Fuel filters and oil filter, check the raw water strainer, the through-hulls and the..........

If you have a genset, look at all the expensive parts in there, too. I doubt they have been looked at for a while.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I agree with the last few posts about fixing this properly. This is a pretty critical system that will minimally disable you engine if it fails, and very possibly flood the boat too.

I'd pull it off, figure out what the goop-fest is all about, figure out what the hose clamp is doing, and fix it all properly with new hoses, clamps, and pump parts.

As for keeping the pump as a spare, I wouldn't. I'd throw it away. If it's not good enough to leave on the boat now, why would it be good enough to put back on later? And if you did put it back on later, you'll just have to take it off once again and replace with new shortly after. If you want to carry a spare, carry one you can rely on and that you can leave in the boat post repair.

Now if that old pump can be rebuild to serviceable condition, that's a different story..... Then I'd keep it, or even continue to use it now.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
For Heavens sake ... it is just a simple rubber vane pump. It can easily be rebuilt to practically as new standard. As far as the clamp is concerned, all that does is allow the inlet and outlet to be turned to a convenient position. The clamp stops it rotating, it doesn't hold the engine in place.

The hose clamp is a cheap way to hold the pump, it doesn't take much force and by the look of it, the original bolt clamp has been cut off and filed smooth otherwise the hose clamp wouldn't fit very well. A clamp similar to this will do quite nicely.

It looks like the gasket between the pump drive and the accessory case on the engine was leaking and someone thought a tube of goop would fix it because they were too cheap or afraid to pull the thing and fix it correctly.

There are probably a lot of other issues on that boat worth worrying about more than the pump.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, Wa
Vessel Name: Rejuvenator
Vessel Model: 34 Californian
Do you have a place to get used parts at? like Pacific Marine Exchange in Bellingham. For simple cast housings or core parts I hate buying an entire unit just because a fetser actuator bracket failed.

hypersloth is offline   Reply With Quote