Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Raw Water Lovejoy

Looking over my Perkins 6.354T, 160 HP before running I noticed a section missing from the raw water lovejoy type connection. I took it apart and as seen in the photos it is on it's way out. Photo one shows the gap or missing section. The blue is the remaining spider. I called Trans Atlantic Diesel and they want $134. for the spider. Seems like a lot since I have seen entire units online for around $30.

The question is, what is the torque of the raw water drive? I suppose I will bite the bullet and order the part but the price does seem excessive.

Numbers on half with small hole 335753408 IHSGAI

Half with big hole JWI 5327 12 63576150
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	11848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	11849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	11850  

Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If a replacement is $30 and a repair part is $134, why haven't you ordered the replacement already?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

To clarify, I have seen Lovejoy connectors for that price. I do not know if they will work in this application. They list torque specifications. Any idea what the torque is on the raw water drive of a Perkins 6.354T? Also, the shaft size is different on each size. Half inch on one side and 13/16 on the other. I am sure I could make or buy a bushing.

Just looking for advice and suggestions.

Rob
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
To clarify, I have seen Lovejoy connectors for that price. I do not know if they will work in this application. They list torque specifications. Any idea what the torque is on the raw water drive of a Perkins 6.354T? Also, the shaft size is different on each size. Half inch on one side and 13/16 on the other. I am sure I could make or buy a bushing.

Just looking for advice and suggestions.

Rob
It looks like there's a number on the connector so how about searching using that number?

I know nothing about your engine or pump but there's a lot of information available on the Internet if you know how to find it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Look at the Lovejoy type L couplings. You can get one with a Hytel spider and with the bores exactly as you need.

Lovejoy, Inc. : Products : Jaw Type Couplings

You don't need to machine anything or pay bundles for obsolete parts that are no longer supported.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
Look in the phonebook for Motion Industries, Applied Industrial Technologies or Kaman Bearing. Go with the type L.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I will try Motion, Applied and Kaman to see if I can get the spider. If not, it looks like the type L 95 Lovejoy. Thanks RickB and Vyndance.

Rob
Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #8

I had a problem with the coupling on my starboard engine last year. One side of the coupling cracked in half when I took the pump off to rebuild it.. The couplings are cast iron, they have to flex slightly as they are tighten on the shaft. flex and cast iron don't mix. The genious that designed that should be shot. After I got the price for a replacement, and knowing that it too was cast iron, I said Bull Shit, and replaced the whole thing with a Lovejoy coupling. Bought mine from McMaster Carr. I can call and order from them as late as 7pm and have them on my doorstep the next afternoon for standard UPS rate. They were actually cheaper than Motion Industries where I can get a John Deere discount, and Motion didn't have them in stock. The only gotcha, I measured the pump shaft (.750) and assumed both sides were the same. Bad assumption, engine side is .8125 (13/16).
I take a picture when I'm at the boat tommorow if I can find my camera.

Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote