Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I have been around gas engines boats my entire life. Not once have I even been close to one that blew up. Or even had a friend of a friend that was close to one. I have pumped 25 gallons into the bilge of a 18 foot inboard powered bass boat, due to an unhooked vent line,then left the dock and pumped it all overboard later (back in 1980) with no ill affects to the participants. We all have propane onboard, which is much more dangerous. So, unless you have been personally affected by a gasoline explosion on a boat, give me a break !!!!!

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Having a history of employment with then Standard Oil of Calif, related to fuel docks. Working the fire extinguishes on a number of incidents (4) ,of exploding boats seeing burnt mariners, thinking of open fire heating, and such has me asking this: Have gas engine applications in boats arrived at such a safety point that the discussion of gas over diesel is mute in terms of product safety?
Asked from one who profiles gas powered boats that moor near me in all instants. Who has sworn off gas other than small outboards,
Al
Gasoline fumes explode when: Released into confined areas, allowed to gather in critical mass, ignition heat is provided. Propane fumes do similar. As does nat gas.

Boat owners that do not keep all their fuels’ containers and transport systems and fuel using apparatus in very good condition (diesel too), as well as not having ample ventilation that guards against critical mass conditions, as well as making sure there are no ignition sources in their boat’s confined areas – SHOULD NOT OWN A BOAT!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Gas dangerous? well...at marinas where I boat out of have only had one burn because of fuel...as an assistance tower and USCG helo plot for 35 years...have responded to almost as many diesel boat fires as gas and there's WAYYYY more gas boats than diesel....even that total number is really small for the number of boats out there.

....and I have 10 years living aboard now too.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Just because one has no personal experience with a gasoline explosion or fire doesn't mean it can't happen. Read the news from time to time. Or just think it out in your mind. Gasoline fumes plus a source of ignition adds up to an explosion.

Gasoline engines also produce a far greater amount of deadly carbon monoxide than diesel engines.

Gas is fine for smaller boats and day use. For longer cruises and cooking and sleeping on the boat, diesel is safer. I can use a standard heater or dehumidifier in the bilge of my diesel powered boat. If it were gasoline powered, I would have to use ignition protected appliances.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
FF
Guru

>Just because one has no personal experience with a gasoline explosion or fire doesn't mean it can't happen.<

Anything can happen,

I always worry when the bride begins to sift flour for bread or pie as I have seen the movies of flour mills blowing up.

And flour doesnt set off the bilge alarm!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #26

City: Maine
Nicolaas August Otto developed the first four-stroke gas engine in 1876. This was after years of experimentation. In 1897 Rudolf Diesel marketed the first diesel engine. Source-Kuiken, Kees. "Diesel Engines 1 for ship propulsion and power plants." 2nd Edition July 2012
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Just because one has no personal experience with a gasoline explosion or fire doesn't mean it can't happen. Read the news from time to time. Or just think it out in your mind. Gasoline fumes plus a source of ignition adds up to an explosion.

Gasoline engines also produce a far greater amount of deadly carbon monoxide than diesel engines.

Gas is fine for smaller boats and day use. For longer cruises and cooking and sleeping on the boat, diesel is safer. I can use a standard heater or dehumidifier in the bilge of my diesel powered boat. If it were gasoline powered, I would have to use ignition protected appliances.
It's a little more complicated than that...there is a few things that have to line up and as often there are gas fumes in the bilges of boats...it's not that easy to get an explosion....

heck in the other thread people are telling one another to pour gas into the carb and start it...gas fumes yet 99.9% of the time...no explosion....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyd View Post
Nicolaas August Otto developed the first four-stroke gas engine in 1876. This was after years of experimentation. In 1897 Rudolf Diesel marketed the first diesel engine. Source-Kuiken, Kees. "Diesel Engines 1 for ship propulsion and power plants." 2nd Edition July 2012
Well no difference in developing and marketing..... wait I bet it was devolved before it was marketed.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
The first thing you'd have to know is when the engine dies. Up until that information is available it's an ever changing factor.

I guess my biggest question would be--why would you want to do a calc like that? If you came up with a number of $.0000000001 per revolution, what good is it? It's not really a good indicator of anything. An engine that was run near WOT for much of its life is not likely to last as long as one that was run at hull speed, so IMHO that would be a much bigger factor in making any kind of 'gas vs diesel' comparison.

On my engines (Cat 3406C's) before I bought the boat I talked with the local Cat dealer to get his feedback about the engines. He said they were built to go a million miles in an over-the-road truck before they needed any real repairs. When I told him the number of hours on the engines at that time (around 800) he said that would be equate to about 8,000 miles in a truck, or not really even broken in yet.

I'll never put enough hours on my engines to factor in the cost of a rebuild. If I take good care of them by keeping the fuel and oil clean I shouldn't have any issues other than routine maintenance items.

I think you missed a zero or two, or that's a very slow truck (10 mph) for its 800 hours.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #30
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Thanks forum, About what what was expected on the subject of gas pots. Now back to the original thread. As it is close to New Years here in Alaska, I will send Happy New Year to all.
regards,
Al

A grenade thrown into a kitchen in France would result in Linoleum Blownapart.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Thanks forum, About what what was expected on the subject of gas pots. Now back to the original thread. As it is close to New Years here in Alaska, I will send Happy New Year to all.
regards,
Al
A grenade thrown into a kitchen in France would result in Linoleum Blownapart.
Thanks Al, for the good thoughts. I ditto Happy New Year Wishes to all.

Guess us gas pot and diesel pot boat owners will simply have to spend another year enjoying our dino fuel powered Pleasure Cruisers... collectively called "Stink Pots" by those who enjoy piloting "Blow Rag" pleasure boats with such depth of draft that gunkholen is precluded for many areas.

No matter how it is looked at or what type of boat... owning and enjoying water born Pleasure Craft is a really tough job! But hell... some body’s got to do it in order to keep the global pleasure-marine industry alive... Guess you and I will have to be two of those hard put upon souls! This tortuous way of enjoying life will just have to include us... and, Personally I Like It!

Happy 2014 Boating Daze! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
FF
Guru

those who enjoy piloting "Blow Rag" pleasure boats with such depth of draft that gunkholen is precluded for many areas.

Herrishoff claimed that for a good cruising sail boat the draft needs to be just 1/7 of the LWL, no centerboard .

So a 35ft LWL would have a draft of about 5 ft , no that far from what a marine motorist would have.

In an unusual tide the sail boat has a more robust keel for banging the bottom.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #33

City: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Well no difference in developing and marketing..... wait I bet it was devolved before it was marketed.
Good guess. Or maybe a lucky guess.

Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote