Racor filter element spacers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
I have the Racor filters that need a spacer under the filter element to work. The elements come with a new spacer in the package but I do not want to change the spacer every time as it is a PITA. Any thoughts on how long the spacer should last?
confused.gif

I was under the impression that they are good for a long time. Racor did not start including a spacer with the filter elements until relatively recently. Before this you got a spacer from your diesel shop (or maybe Racor directly), stuck it in there and that was that. I would confirm this with a reputable diesel shop or Racor themselves, but I don't think there is a life-limit on the spacers. Or it's a very long one, like O-rings and such.

I even heard that at some point in the near future they would stop supplying the spacers???

The spacers will come with each filter thru the end of this year, then stop. I believe that is on the Racor site somewhere.

The rubber spacer is not a sealing surface so it should cause no problem if it's left for many years. I just changed my filter yesterday and the new filter bag I grabbed had an old style filter. It was no problem to reach in and pull out the spacer. It is not a tight fit on the tube coming up so it slides out easily.

My plan is to save the spacers as I go thru my supply of filters in the next few years so I'll never run out. Let's see, if I get 5 years out of a spacer, and since I bought a case, 12 filters last year, I'm good for.......... 60 years.

Ken

Can someone tell me what the spacer is that you are refering to? I bought a couple of cases of filters about 3 years ago and haven't heard anything about a spacer needed. Thanks!

This only applies to Racor 500's. They redesigned the filter element a few years ago, and the new ones require a spacer to position them so they work correctly. I guess they're a little shorter.

Keith,
Thanks for the info. My mains use Racor 1000MA but both generators use 500's. I guess I need to buy some more filters for them and I can compare them to the old ones that I have. From what I read here new filters will have the spacer needed. Thanks again!

The old Racor 500 filter have "flat" top and bottom end pieces with the paper filter media folded in between. The bottom end cap on the "new" filters are recessed and have little "fingers" that contact the spacer to hold the filter up in the correct position. If the spacer isn't installed when needed, the filter element will sit too far down into the filter housing and fail to filter the fuel.

The picture shows the old style on the right and the new style on the left. The black rubber spacer is sitting on top of the filters. The filter itself is the same height and appears to have the same amount of filtration, just the bottom end cap has changed.

For those sharp eyed folks, the filter on right is a 30 micron filter and the left is 10 micron. also for those who might care, the new filter has an "emergency bypass" punch out hole in the top of the filter which the old style did not have. (shown at the 11 o'clock position in the single filter picture)

Ken

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 118
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 158
Racor actually redesigned the model 500 filter housing and changed the filter itself accordingly. So if you have a Racor 500 made after 1997 (I can't remember the exact date) you will not have a problem with the current filters fitting into the filter housing. You will not need the spacer. The spacer is needed to use the current filter in Racor 500s made before 1997 or whenever. Our boat had its fuel system cmopletely redone the year before we bought the boat, so this would have been sometime in 1997. The new system incorporated two new (at the time) Racor 500s. These filters do not require the spacer to use the current Racor 500 filter element.

Thanks, Ken for the pictures. The series 500 filters that I have are the last of the ones that were on the boat when I bought it 6 years ago. They are the old style. I was getting ready to order some more, so the info you guys have given me will be very helpful. Thanks!

Once again our listees have come through with the skinny. Especially that picture with the emergency by-pass that I never before noticed. Kudos for all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom