Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Monitoring new NL12kw genset

My new Northern Lights 12kw Genset really doesn’t have any gauges or monitors and I’d like to find a way to pull info like egt, rpm, oil pressure into the Maretron.
Has anyone done this and what did you use?
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My guess is that you first want to identify the motor manufacturer. Second, you might call NL to see if they have done it before.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Not Maretron, but there is an optional panel from NL w/ temp, oil press, hrs, alt voltage, that uses a y adapter into the basic instrument panel. Hz on your elec panel is a good indicator of rpm. If you don’t find away to integrate, might be OK

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Northern Lights gensets to their credit does not have electronic gauges or anything digital on the engine. So you would have to add all new electronic, digital sensors or an analogue to digital converter to get the info you want into the Maretron system.

If your genset came with no gauges then I would contact NL and see if they have an upgraded panel with gauges. You will probably only get oil pressure and temperature. RPM is really a set and forget value and many digital VOMs have a frequency feature that will tell you rpm if you measure the frequency of the AC produced. EGT is really only needed for high output turbocharged engines and fortunately NL doesn't use them in their gensets.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
My new Northern Lights 12kw Genset really doesn’t have any gauges or monitors and I’d like to find a way to pull info like egt, rpm, oil pressure into the Maretron.
Has anyone done this and what did you use?

Sounds like you don't have the NL panel with gauges? I think they show engine temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, and engine hours? It's basic, but effective instrumentation.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
I don’t have the fancier panel unfortunately although I’m really hoping to add alarms on key indicators since the NL doesn’t seem to alarm anything, I had the strainer full with eel grass and the nl just quietly shut down without making a sound, 30 minutes later I realized I had no 240v.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
I don’t have the fancier panel unfortunately although I’m really hoping to add alarms on key indicators since the NL doesn’t seem to alarm anything, I had the strainer full with eel grass and the nl just quietly shut down without making a sound, 30 minutes later I realized I had no 240v.
Wow, your new generator must be very quiet. Our 12KW NL gen is quiet for a gen, but I would certainly be able to tell if it spontaneously shut down.

With any generator, it is a good idea to occasionally check frequency and AC voltage. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is with a Kil-A-Watt meter or similar, $19. at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elec...tt+meter&psc=1

You can adjust frequency by adjusting engine RPM.

I check ours every couple of months or so, and I have never found it to be out of specs.

A Kil-A-Watt is also useful for other things. I used it to determine just how much power our 115V fridge was using, so I could decide if we should change to 12V refrigeration. (It is not my intention to hijack this thread. I mention this only to illustrate how useful a Kil-A-Watt is.)
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I have these, bit pricier, but have programmable audible alarms for all parameters.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/824...ter_with_Alarm

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:

The NL and all marine generators I am aware of, have an automatic shutdown circuit that stops the engine on low oil pressure or high temperature. Not quite an alarm, but better as sometimes you leave the boat with the genset running.

This strategy is quite different from propulsion engines which only alarm and don't shutdown. It is assumed that the nut behind the wheel will shut it down if safe to do so.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
https://www.northern-lights.com/medi...s_brochure.pdf

https://www.northern-lights.com/opti...-d3fbca70-dc50

I thought that didn't sound right, they have panels and pre-alarm systems readily available.

Another option are these from NewMar:

https://dcpoweronboard.com/digital-m...erator-engine/

You could also check with the folks at Chetco and discuss your needs with them if you want to integrate into another system:

Home

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Guru

City: Vermont
NL now has their TSC control and monitoring units, and can probably be retrofit into the genset. It provides basic engine parameter, and basic AC parameters, and exports it on J1939 which in turn can be connected to N2K. That would be one way to get what you want, though probably pretty expensive all in.

But even with the TSC, their shutdown protection is an all or nothing proposition, and provides no direct indication which sensor caused the shutdown.

Short of the TSC, you could instrument the engine using a variety of maretron sensors. Pressure for oil, and temp probes for coolant and maybe exhaust elbow temp. I don't thing EGT is needed since you can't really overload the engine given the breakers on it. If you already have the maretron modules, adding sensors can be very economical. But if you don't have them already, it too can get expensive fast.

Last you could use one of the various analog engine data to N2K converter devices. I've never tried one, and can't say I've read very enthusiastic reports on any of them.

I've been running with their 4 gauge panel (Temp, oil pressure, hours, battery volts), as are pretty much all other Nordhavns with no real issues.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #12

City: Kiln,MS
Look at deep sea controls.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote