Question for CHB 34 owners.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
How many of you 34 CHB guys have any kind of shaft bearing between the coupling and the stuffing box?

I had one just ahead of the stuffing box and of course over the last couple of years enough water got into it to ruin it. Mech took it off yesterday, I took it out today on his recommendation and ran it at various speeds to look for any vibration. There was none, ran like it always has and the horrible growl that I had coming in from the last cruise is gone.

I had feared it was the transmission going south, but it was this bearing.

So just curious how many other CHB's have an intermediate bearing.

TIA

There are tables someplace for maximum unsupported shaft distances.
You need know shaft material and diameter.

I have an Albin not a CHB but these Taiwan tubs are pretty similar. No intermediate bearing on mine, it's a 36 foot with a 120 F.L..

There was a previous thread on removing the bearing but it was a while ago.

Personally, I doubt if you need it.

pete

The previous thread may have been mine when I started getting a lot of racket on the way home from the SJ islands. I thought the tranny might be going out, but mech said it was probably that bearing. Think he was right as racket is gone.

Seems to run now the same as it did before the bearing toasted.

There are tables someplace for maximum unsupported shaft distances.
You need know shaft material and diameter.

I just measured mine at just under three feet from coupling to stuffing box. Shaft is SS and 1.5" in dia. In my mind I thought it was further than that.

I just measured mine at just under three feet from coupling to stuffing box. Shaft is SS and 1.5" in dia. In my mind I thought it was further than that.

Yes it's farther than that. I went thru all the calculations when I repowered my old Mainship. It had a mid bearing and I recall being just within the parameter which I recall being around 7 feet (for Aquamet 22) I removed the bearing and as I was tightening the prop nuts I did not like the play I was feeling. So I put the bearing back in.
(Originally the boat had a bronze shaft and I'm sure the mid bearing was necessary)

I have an Albin not a CHB but these Taiwan tubs are pretty similar. No intermediate bearing on mine, it's a 36 foot with a 120 F.L..

There was a previous thread on removing the bearing but it was a while ago.

Personally, I doubt if you need it.

pete

I have a Hershine 37 same hull as yours. I have an intermediate shaft bearing in the middle of the shaft tube. It is right where the tube goes into the hull. I dug into the Fiberglass a little finding two set screws. With the shaft removed I scoped the tube and confirmed there was a bearing there. I replaced the fore and aft bearings but left the middle one because I was unsure if it would slide out and which way to remove it. I get a little prop whip noise under 750 rpm so I may replace it in the future. I’ll bet your Albin 36 has the same. After all it’s an 11’ shaft if a single.

I have a 34 that originally had a brass (not bronze) shaft and a shaft bearing. When I replaced the brass shaft with an Aquamet 33 shaft the boatyard said I didn't need the bearing anymore. It's been 25 years and I can't argue with them.

I have a 34 that originally had a brass (not bronze) shaft and a shaft bearing. When I replaced the brass shaft with an Aquamet 33 shaft the boatyard said I didn't need the bearing anymore. It's been 25 years and I can't argue with them.

Where was the bearing Al? Mine was just ahead of the stuffing box and its only 3 feet from there to the coupling.

My Lotus, a Clipper 34, but essentially a CHB, although a sedan version, not aft cabin, had a quite short (~ 1 foot between coupler and stuffing box, and certainly had no bearing in between. I'll put up the photos with the rider I apologise for the state of the ER then, she was cleaned up somewhat later, but never her prettiest area. It was a '75 model after all.

Attachments

• A8F6714A-563B-4803-B6DF-A84656A54A27.jpg
    A8F6714A-563B-4803-B6DF-A84656A54A27.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom