Pyrometer probe replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Pyrometer/exhaust temp on my Cummins NT855 has never registered since we had it and as the motor runs sweet as and had been checked over we at that stage weren't to concerned and still arent really, but, if we can fix it we will.

It seem to me, after pulling the probe, that it is rooted as there is only about 1/8th of an inch sticking out the end and any pictures I see all seem to have a couple of inches of probe sticking out.

Can I just buy a generic probe such as the one listed below?

EGT Temperature Sensors K type for Exhaust Gas Temp Probe (1m ~5m) Special***

This seems to be same same apart from the connector which on my dead Barber Colman co. probe pictured below, is a easily changed plug.

Attachments

• IMG_20170807_134856~01.jpg
    IMG_20170807_134856~01.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Took a punt and bought it.
Ticks the boxes spec wise so see no reason why it won't work.

It probably will work. The only gamble seems to be whether the original is a type K or not. If it doesn't work, first try reversing polarity. Polarity matters.

FWIW, mine sticks into the exhaust stream 2-3".

It probably will work. The only gamble seems to be whether the original is a type K or not. If it doesn't work, first try reversing polarity. Polarity matters.

FWIW, mine sticks into the exhaust stream 2-3".

Thanks.
Isspro gauges and on the website it says K type.
Thought it might be longer, but various websites claim length for thermo couples makes no difference to readings so as long as it is in the hot stuff I guess it should work.

Arrived yesterday and a far more robust looking fitting than the old.
Installed and the pyrometer is working again.

$10 and 15 minutes well spent

Back
Top Bottom