Pump for diesel fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Yeah, I know the title is not really very descriptive, but I could not think of a better one.

Some people like to keep their diesel fuel tanks topped off at all times if possible. Without arguing about whether this is good or bad, let me say that I am one of those. And rather than pull up to the fuel dock to pump in six or seven gallons of diesel fuel after a cruise on the river, I just carry a can from home when I go down and fill it up at a gas station on the way down.

However, trying to pour from one of these cans is exasperating! They always leak, and trying to hold up a 5-gallon can while crouched on the deck can get old.

So . . . the point of all this (besides complaining about it) is I am wondering if someone has a good solution for just pumping the fuel from the can while it is sitting upright. I thought about using a hose and a bulb (such as gas cans for outboard motors often have), and probably that would work. But it would be jury-rigged, and I thought that perhaps someone might come up with a more sophisticated way of doing it.

John

use this...miracle pump!!! inexpensive...

use it on theassistance towboat all the time...when the tubing gets stiff...replace it with that cheap white super flexible bilge pump hose stuff...empties a 5 gallon can in a little over a minute

Self-Priming Copper Jiggler Pump

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 264
I used to carry fuel to my boats in cans when my marina didn't have diesel at the docks. After they finally got a diesel pump and tank it was discouraged. Most marinas want you to use there services while in there slips. God forbid you should spill a little and make a sheen on the harbor.

If you take a short cruise and need to top it off use their fuel. It pays the help and it's just the right thing to do. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with the cans, and the mess in your car. Larry

That looks like it would probably do it. Thanks.

Actually...a big Baja filter might be good too...nice to have onboard and one big enough to handle a straight max flow pour from a jug without much of a spill...

I keep a separate Walbro pump (FRB13) 40 gph for transferring fuel and for filling my hydraulic oil tank. Easy to connect to the boat's 12 volt system.

Marty

Where I grew up, this was called a "Georgia Credit Card".

for getting fuel out of a jerry can into a fuel inet on a side deck someone would spend more than $7.99 and take 10X longer to set up and transfer????

Actually nice to always have both a simple (siphon type) and an electric pump to transfer liquids...but to do one 5 gallon can every once and awhile...nothing like cheap and effective.

I have used the siphon hose, works great easy to store. The simpler the better, you still have to store away what every you use. Less then 20 gallons siphon it and would be done by the time you power up the pump and deal with all the hoses.

A second advantage to the jiggle pump is the delivery plastic is clear so you can see if its fuel, gunk or water that is going into the fuel tank.

They also sell battery operated pumps for transferring kerosene into heaters. They are a hardware store item. They are very low cost and work well.

Sceptre makes a unit called Flo 'n Go that might work for you.

Back
Top Bottom