Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: WYC, Port Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: Bonaventure
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Rick
If your Pt is the same as ours there is a third lift-out hatch in the galley that is underneath the counter and part of the seat but you have to unbolt the counter and seat (easy to do) and move it out of the way.
Good to know that it unbolts easily. I have the same hatch but it still wouldn't give me access to take the rocker cover off.... Grrrr

Rduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
It had become greasy and generally ragged, so I decided to remove it.
How were the tiles and styrofoam held in place? Did you just pry them out? Did they come out cleanly?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #43
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Mike: Good post. You described Hobo's engine room. How long did the project take and were there any Oh shits along the way?
Larry,
if I had an engineroom overhead that looked as pretty as yours, I would have thought twice about disturbing it. The easy bits were the removable pannels because I could take them back to my workshop, turn them upsidedown and work on them in comfort. The permanent bits were a real PITA because of the limited space between top of engines/generator/other stuff and the underside of the "ceiling". I filled up the cavity with layers of a heavy fire-resistant foam and spray-on contact adhesive. Use small pieces - I couldn't support a big sheet and get it to stick in the right location. The last layer was an equivalent to Soundown. I didn't like the "pins and washers" approach and I couldn't stick big sheets in place for the the reason stated. I decided to hold them with pannels of 3/16" plywood screwed in place and painted light grey. It may reflect some of the sound back down again, but it's a big improvement and anyway I have a wipe-clean engineroom ceiling! I would guess the whole thing took the best part of a week to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduval View Post
How were the tiles and styrofoam held in place? Did you just pry them out? Did they come out cleanly?
RDuval,
The fiber tiles were originally fixed in place with little mild-steel (rusty) finishing nails and in places glued to the styrofoam above. The PO has used fender washers and wood screws to hold up some of the sagging edges. The styrofoam was glued to the overhead with the Taiwanese equivalent of Evo-Stik; the fiber tiles were glued to the styrofoam with the same stuff. Being a tad anal it felt really good to get all that garbage out of there. Edit: No, it didn't come out cleanly. This is messier than demolishing old drywall.

If you are thinking of doing this:
Cover engines and everything else with drop-cloths.
Have a good shop-vac, clean up as you go.
Have good ventillation and lighting.
Face/dust mask and eye protection
Set a target of a small area for the day's work - don't try to do it all at once.
This job is a breeze if you are a double jointed dwarf with eyes in the back of your head!
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Mike: Thanks for answering my question. I think I'll wait based on your comments. I can remove 5 panels but the ceiling that remains has limited clearance and to do it right, would mean moving the generator.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #45
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
It's soft mounts for me and VETUS shaft rubber couplers.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Bill
That would be an easy fix if I didn't have to lower the front of the engines....
Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Bill
Well that's pretty much what I've ended up doing except I'm using Federal Flex Couplings at $308 each vs the Vetus at over $1000.

I put in the Aquadrive engine mounts first to see how much improvement they would make in vibration and noise before thinking about tackling the HUGE (and expensive) job (on my boat) of moving the engines forward on new mount plates, changing the stuffing box, etc..

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Wow!. The boat is quiet and smooth.

Now I'm just waiting for the pair of Federal Flex Couplings to arrive to compensate for the mis-alignment caused under loading.

I'm actually using the boat at the moment with the solid couplings and don't have any shaft vibration issues or changing in the drip rate of the stuffing boxes under load but I'll feel better know there is something to take up the misalignment and prevent bearing wear.

I would have preferred to use the complete Aquadrive system but If the Federal Couplings do the trick I'll be smooth and quiet for about $6k less (counting parts and labour).

They should come any day and I'll let you know how they go.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #48
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I did the same thing to my old boat with the same parts. A 42' GB motoryacht. And it made it the smoothest most vibration free Lehman powered GB I'd ever run. No more stove rattling vibration at dead idle on start up anymore.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I did the same thing to my old boat with the same parts. A 42' GB motoryacht. And it made it the smoothest most vibration free Lehman powered GB I'd ever run. No more stove rattling vibration at dead idle on start up anymore.
LOL Too funny... The stove rattling was the worst part for me too....
Old 07-31-2014, 11:43 PM   #50
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduval View Post
LOL Too funny... The stove rattling was the worst part for me too....
Yeah, you could always tell when some one had lost or forgotten to reinstall the anti-rattle clips for the stove burner grates.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #51
Veteran Member

As a follow up on this thread, I have now: Changed to Aquadrive motor mounts (Huge difference), added the GGB Inline mufflers (very significant reduction in sound level and "droning") and finally carpeting the salon with 1/2" foam under pad and, most importantly, a soundproofing underpad from Acoustiguard called BARYMAT BM-1C which also made a very significant difference.

Normal living room conversation levels are now possible underway at 8 knots cruise at 1550 RPM.

Still a few things I think I can do. There is quite a bit of noise transmitted through the bilge and up the hollow helm station which I will address from below with some sort of baffle. I also think there is a significant amount of engine intake noise which I am going to try to address with a scrap yard Cummins Diesel (non-turbo) intake silencer.

Not quite a sailboat yet but getting closer... And the Admiral isn't angry at the noise level when in the closed salon underway anymore.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #52
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Glad the Admiral is happy....
Very important to keep it that way.

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman, motor mounts, noise, vibration