Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
Grand Vizier

RE: PSS Dripless Shaft Seal Maintenance

Phil, Jeff, is it your experience that the bellows fatigues, requiring readjustment?* The manual doesn't say but that doesn't seem unreasonable.* This unit is 4 years old, so there are a couple of years remaining before PSS says to replace it regardless.* Perhaps I'll compress the bellows another quarter inch and see.

I won't be making it to the Sunday forum get together.* Wish I could, but I have a class to teach on Sundays that shoots most of the day.

Thanks guys...

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
PSS Dripless Shaft Seal Maintenance

I don't know if "PSS" is the same seal as "PYI". No one on this thread has said what "PSS" means. I've had PYI seals on two boats. I don't know what PYI stands for (it's the name of the company) and I don't like the owner of the company but I do use the PSS (I looked it up) seal and it's been flawless in it's performance EXCEPT on 2 different times it leaked while underway. In my Albin 25 near Friday Hbr I asked for a cup of tea and was informed by my 1st mate that the fwd cabin floor was floating. I quickly found water poring in at the shaft seal and fly'in around. The SS sleeve that is fixed to the shaft had slid fwd. It was a quick and easy fix w an Allen wrench. The same thing happened to us later so now I set the set screw hard enough to make a good mark on the shaft at just the right bellows adjustment and loosen it and slide it aft exposing the mark. Then I ctr punch the mark and drill into the propeller shaft close to 1/16" w a drill larger than the dia of the set screw. Then I install the sleeve w the set screw in red locktite. No problem since. I do use the water injection port and plumb it to seawater from my exhaust system. I bleed the air out of the stern tube and burp it from time to time. The water fed into the stern tube ensures plenty of water flowing through the stern bearing (cutless bearing). I don't think my PSS seal leaks at all. My PSS is 4 yrs old.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 12:00:26 AM

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

PSS = Packless Sealing System. PYI= (I think) Pacific Yacht Industries.* PYI sells PSS seals and PSS is a branded product trademarked to PYI Inc.* PSS seals are sold in 14 countries.* They are manufactured in the US, I believe by PYI themselves, but I could be wrong on this last bit.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 12:43:13 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #24
FF
Guru

IF the unit was installed after the boat was built , it may be possible to scrap it and restore the shaft packing seal.

The modern Goretex and similar products solve all the problems the ceramic seals were supposed to solve , without the danger of rapid flooding.

A 40 year old "Solution" , that could put the boat in danger , is not an answer today.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #25
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
FF wrote:

IF the unit was installed after the boat was built , it may be possible to scrap it and restore the shaft packing seal.

The modern Goretex and similar products solve all the problems the ceramic seals were supposed to solve , without the danger of rapid flooding.

A 40 year old "Solution" , that could put the boat in danger , is not an answer today.
********* I have had these PSS seals on two boats and they do work well.* However I have had the standard packing gland on many boats and as long as the packing nuts are easy to get at they are simple to maintain and adjust. If the original had came with the boat (hidden in a locker somewhere) I would probably consider putting it back in use.*** JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #26
Guru

John P,
The small amount of leakage from a traditional shaft seal is of no matter and the seal itself acts as an additional shaft bearing. That would be of benefit only if it were aligned properly and that (of course) can only be accomplished by adjusting the position of the engine and gearbox. If the shaft is centered in the stern tube where the shaft seal would be located the traditional shaft seal is excellent. There may be (on some boats) an idler bearing in between the shaft seal and gearbox flange that is fixed and offers no adjustment. In that case the PSS seal is (in my opinion) a better choice. But the old waxed packing seal is more secure given a small bit of maintenance.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:In that case the PSS seal is (in my opinion) a better choice. But the old waxed packing seal is more secure given a small bit of maintenance.
I agree!

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #28

City: Oslo
Vessel Name: Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

Ours sheaft seals are about 7 years old, and still look like new. On the other hand, last summer while working on a Seapro oil spill response boat, I noticed the bellows on both shafts had severe cracks. I understood they were about 5 years old.**

In my damage control kit, I carry a couple wax toilet rings.* That wax is some of the stickiest stuff I have ever had the misfortune to handle, and if I ever had a shaft seal failure, I think I could stop the water by wrapping the bellows with wax, covered with something like grease tape (also in our kit) topped off by perhaps duct tape.*

Failure of the bellows has the potential to let in a huge amount of water in a short time. Another good reason to have a high water alarm.* Don't forget to check the hose clamps at least once a season. Make sure they are tight, and corrosion free..............Arctic Traveller
There is an even more readily available ingredient that has been*used by SAR crews over here for decades to plug holes in sinking*boats. Butter/margarine will attach to* any wet or dry surface and will harden in contact with sea water.*I have*used it myself on an a couple of*call-outs to stop boats from sinking under my feet.
r-rossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #29
Guru

r-rossow,
"Butter/margarine will attach to* any wet or dry surface and will harden in contact with sea water."
Really!* How big of a hole will it plug? Is margarine or butter better?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
back in the olden days they used to use tallow for gooping up salvage patches. They had to work fast though because the fish loved to eat the stuff and would gobble it up before the diver got the patch on.

Never heard of using butter or margarine though. Then again, who the heck has tallow these days?

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
RickB wrote:back in the olden days they used to use tallow for gooping up salvage patches. They had to work fast though because the fish loved to eat the stuff and would gobble it up before the diver got the patch on.

Never heard of using butter or margarine though. Then again, who the heck has tallow these days?
How about Cheese Whiz?* A few years ago I read a very funny article in a boating magazine about all the uses for Cheese Whiz on a boat.* Sealing, caulking, patching holes in the hull, the list went on and on.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #32

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Used Crisco to plug seams on my old wood boat that had been on the hard for 4 months.* Worked good.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #33

City: Oslo
Vessel Name: Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

How big of a hole will it plug? It depends on the shape of the hole and how much of the stuff you have available to shove into the hole. I would say the palm of your hand is about max width. A splintered plank in a wooden hull is the perfect task for this approach. Anything bigger, smear as much as you can around the edges then press your favorite wool blanket into the middle of the hole. Wool blankets are thick andwill impede water flow into your boat. The butter/margarine you smeared around the edges will cling very nicely to the wool, sealing the edges. Remember this is for emergency repair to to stop your vessel from sinking. Just so slowly get yourself to the nearest haul-out yard.
Is margarine or butter better? Grab whatever is available in your fridge! If there is a hole in your*boat you will be too stressed to start thinking of which to use.

Roger

-- Edited by r-rossow on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 07:02:45 AM
r-rossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #34
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

I would be grabbing something other than butter if I had a hole in my boat. A rag, shirt or pillow
would be stuffed in the hole before I ever thought about butter, oatmeal or cheeze whiz.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #35
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

Back to the subject of the PSS shaft seal flinging water while underway. A mechanic at North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes, WA told me that he takes a piece of 400 wet-dry sandpaper, folded in half,*and puts it between the face and carbon seal and then turns the shaft to reface the seal a bit. When I tried it, I started the engine and put it in gear to rotate the shaft at slow idle and this is what the mechanic did. I guess if you could easily turn your shaft by hand that may also work and then it could be a one man job. I found it works for awhile but not forever.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
Marin wrote:

RickB wrote:back in the olden days they used to use tallow for gooping up salvage patches. They had to work fast though because the fish loved to eat the stuff and would gobble it up before the diver got the patch on.

How about Cheese Whiz?* A few years ago I read a very funny article in a boating magazine about all the uses for Cheese Whiz on a boat.* Sealing, caulking, patching holes in the hull, the list went on and on.
And the cool thing about cheese whiz is that in 20 years ... if you ate it it would still taste the same... and probably be just as good for you.... if you add a package of Twinkies you should have the perfect kit to deal with the munchies and water intrusion.... all with a 25 year shelf life!
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #37
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I keep a wax toilet bowl ring and a block of that electrician's putty they use to seal up enclosures to stop leaks in an emergency. The Cheese Whiz stops leaks in me.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #38
Grand Vizier

For long shelf life and the ability to stick to anything, I recommend Wonder Bread. I was plowing a neighbor's field for a spring garden, and turned up a loaf that had probably been buried for a few years.* Made sandwiches and went back to work.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #39

All,
I just noticed some metal "shavings" under my PSS Dripless seals.* I know these metal shavings are new because I just had the bilge painted about 6 months ago.* I checked the plumbing to be sure water was getting to it.* I looked ok.* I then pushed the rubber bellows back and I heard some air escape and then a very little bit of water dripped on my hand.* I was surprised by the slightly pressurized air that escaped.
Having just read Guru's post on "burping" these things from time to time, it made me think that maybe that it was somehow "airlocked" and thus ran hot which lead to the metal shavings.
Now the question is, what do I do now?* Do the metal shavings mean the seal is shot and I should replace asap?* No water is leaking at this time.

Thanks for the advise.

Steve
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #40
Guru

Deflin,
Wonder Bread for the breast in bed?

Taras,
I was told one must make sure the bearing surface remains wet. That's it's lubrication just like the stern (cutlass) bearing. Since the stern tube angles up as one comes fwd when you push the top of the carbon fibre bearing a bit aft (w the boat shut down) all the air will come out at the gap. I'd hold it well open until solid water comes out the gap. I also remember they said don't put anything on it except water. I'd say if it dos'nt leak watch it and plan on addressing the issue at next haul out.