Propeller shaft.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I was wondering about reducing the shaft size of a propeller. I have a 1 3/4" shaft. I have Acquired another prop. But it's for a 2" shaft. Any sort of cup where I can use to make this year that my inch and three-quarter shaft?

I believe the taper could be built up and then remachined to fit the smaller shaft. Ask a prop shop.

As RT mentioned you can use a nylon propeller bushing. On my old steel boat I had that setup. It work fine with the old Grey Marine 6-71 which only produced 168 HP. In reality I was probably only pushing 50 or 60 HP through it. Wouldn't be my choice if you were using hundreds of HP.

Ted

I am skeptical that a sleeve could be used to shim a prop. Torque is transmitted through the taper not the key so a shim may not work.

This is reaaly a question for a good prop shop.

I've used nylon sleeves and they do work. Not the preferred way to do things, but ok, especially if prop/shaft is not highly loaded. May need to recheck prop nut torque a few times.

Well I bought my shaft and I'll try to post a few pictures getting the Cutlass bearing out was quite a challenge I had to use a saws all and cut through the rubber and the brass sleeve but not into the rest of the boat managed to pry it out with several chisels and lots of bump knuckles. First problem was the set screws wouldn't come out they just sort of crumbled I don't know what kind was in there but I don't want to use them again. I had the shaft straightened and ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444525080.840418.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444525114.041275.jpgthis is the new rear Cutlass bearing installedImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444525154.189944.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444525181.727317.jpgthis is my shaft and propellerImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444525244.756675.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444525330.860514.jpgall the teardowns done from here on out just rebuilding everything putting it all back together another one. I had the new split coupling faced. To the shaft. And it's raining and blowing 40 kn

Learned a lot doing this turns out my propeller which was stamped 18 was actually pitched at something like 20.5 also my propeller has electrolysis and I am in need of replacement which was why I asked about the sleeveI.
If a prop has electrolysis I'm told that it doesn't hold patch very. I'm wondering if the change is positive or negative as my prop is stamped 18 and the pictures turned out to be 20.

Shop foreman told me that at the time my prop was in there he had a different man a new guy and he only checked one out of five.

He made it up to me. no charge for repitch and Balance.

Back
Top Bottom