Old 06-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Perkins 4.236 running hot

We just got back from a 3 day cruise and my stbd engine was running hot. We normally run about 1900RPM but the stbd engine now at this temp seems to over heat. The gauge was over 200 before I noticed it and backed off on the RPMS. Running at 1600 the temp maintains 180. The port engine never goes higher than 170 at any RPM. Once we arrived I noticed green AF in the bilge but the only way that could have gotten there was from the overflow at the fill cap. I added about 3 quarts to the port engine. Both engines appear to have the same water flow from the exhaust.

Where should I start?

Thanks
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #2

I meant to say added 3 quarts to the Stbd engine.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Has anything else changed recently on the stbd engine? Recent maintenance?

I'd start with the raw water pump impeller inspection/replacement. Any missing blades? Any lost pieces impeding flow downstream? If that's all good, how's the coolant pump?

If you can place a small container under the coolant overflow line, you can verify if that's the source of coolant in the bilge and not a failed hose or radiator cap.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
This happened to a friend and he'd sucked a bunch of plant life in that was clogging his intake. He found that AFTER he changed the impeller to no avail.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
When was the last time you cleaned the heat exchanger? You could have a problem there. If the water flow is restricted...she'll heat up at higher RPM's.

Defective thermostat? As in not opening properly.

I don't know that much about the 4.236, my engines are 6.354's, and the only other item I can think of engine wise would be a restriction in the oil/raw water cooler a part that might look like this if you have them. Sen-Dure - PERKINS Oil Coolers
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #6

City: Courtenay BC ,canada
perkins 6 cylinder

Hi folks!! I've actually got a question about my Perkins 6 cyl. that I'd appreciate your feedback and ideas on . Starts up in the morning cold and idles nicely at 600-700 RPM, after 15 or twenty minutes when she's warm the idles up to 1000 and never goes down below. I'm suspecting the injector pump. Any ideas or other suggestions? Many thanks in Advance for your time, experience and wisdom!!
Peace
driller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller66 View Post
Starts up in the morning cold and idles nicely at 600-700 RPM, after 15 or twenty minutes Peace
Why do you idle so long?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #8

I guess the best thing for me to do would be to try to wrestle the heat exchanger off and ether clean it or replace it. The engine is 38 years old and I'm sure that are not in the best shape. It is just that this one is on the hull side of the engine and a real bear to get to. Does anyone know if the exhaust manifold has to come off? Also how hard is it to get to the thermostat?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
I guess the best thing for me to do would be to try to wrestle the heat exchanger off and ether clean it or replace it.
Before you literally open a can of worms, circulate a cleaning medium through the raw water side and see what that does.

There are plenty of web posts showing how to do it yourself and if you are not so inclined, find a fellow boater who can help. It isn't too difficult - it's much easier and less risky than wrestling parts off on spec.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #10

Something like method 2 in this post? It looks like my flow goes like this. Raw water pump > Oil cooler > Heat exchanger > Exhaust manifold > Mixing elbow. I assume this mixture is OK for all parts in this path?

How to Service Your Yacht's Cooling System

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Before you literally open a can of worms, circulate a cleaning medium through the raw water side and see what that does.

There are plenty of web posts showing how to do it yourself and if you are not so inclined, find a fellow boater who can help. It isn't too difficult - it's much easier and less risky than wrestling parts off on spec.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
FF
Guru

I would start with closing the seacock , pulling the hose and opening the seacock.

LOTS!!?? of water continue the process thru the engine .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would pull exchanger, should be done regularly for cleaning and inspecting. A good radiator shop can help. !'ve pulled lots of old impeller pieces out of heat exchangers.
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Another idea, check elbow in cooling loop they get corrosion that closes them up and restricts flow....
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #14

Thanks! This is the hard one to get to, so I'm going to try a few in place fixes first then remove it for replacement or cleaning during the off season.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller66 View Post
Hi folks!! I've actually got a question about my Perkins 6 cyl. that I'd appreciate your feedback and ideas on . Starts up in the morning cold and idles nicely at 600-700 RPM, after 15 or twenty minutes when she's warm the idles up to 1000 and never goes down below. I'm suspecting the injector pump. Any ideas or other suggestions? Many thanks in Advance for your time, experience and wisdom!!
Peace

My 6.354's after warming up...do the same thing. I do believe its art of the "anti-stall" mechanism...or something like that. I generally idle my engines for only a few minutes before using the engines. But I do not think there is anything wrong with the injector pump. I have two 6.354's....and they both do it.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #16

So I'm running out of options. Impeller looks OK, I flushed the HE with acid but still getting hot. I'm thinking may a stuck thermostat. I'm getting good flow out the exhaust. But I noticed the fresh water tank gets hot but the raw water line that goes to the mixing elbow does not. this would seem to be a lack of exchanged heat. I assume that if the thermostat was stuck shut fresh water would never reach the heat exchanger? Who knows where the thermostat is on a Perkins 4.236?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Google is your friend, I found this shop manual on the net at:
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Perki...hop-Manual.pdf

It is a big 8.4 meg download so it will be a little slow downloading but should help.........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #18

Not a very good document for the M series engines. I suspect it is under the coolant tank. I do have a hard copy of the workshop manual for the 4.236M but it does not identify it's location. I head over there in a little while and scope it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Google is your friend, I found this shop manual on the net at:
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Perki...hop-Manual.pdf

It is a big 8.4 meg download so it will be a little slow downloading but should help.........
Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #19

Well I finally got out today for a few hours. The temp never went over 180 after an hour at 1900 where I normally run. I think it might have been the second muriatic acid flush after the phosphoric one. I did also see a kink in the exhaust hose that I straightened out somewhat.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #20

great
expat is offline   Reply With Quote