Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #41
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
How tight should that nut be on the prop?
As tight as you can get it with a big wrench. Both nuts. Run a length of lumber (I use a piece of 2X2) between the keel and the rudder to immobilize the prop. Then really torque those nuts down.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #42
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Prop nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
As tight as you can get it with a big wrench. Both nuts. Run a length of lumber (I use a piece of 2X2) between the keel and the rudder to immobilize the prop. Then really torque those nuts down.

OK thanks a lot. Problem is all I have is a big crescent wrench at this point. I need to get a better tool. The nut is a weird size. 46 mm.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Problem is all I have is a big crescent wrench at this point. I need to get a better tool.
I find that an 18" pipe wrench does the job. You can slide a length of pipe over the handle to make a cheater bar if you like.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #44
Guru

Prop nuts

Quote:
I find that an 18" pipe wrench does the job.

Just a regular old pipe wrench? I've got those. So I shouldn't worry if it gouges that nut a little bit? The nut is stainless so maybe it will hold up OK.

I told my wife today that I need to find a job and a good boat yard for a few months so I can learn some of this stuff. [emoji23]
Old 03-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
So I shouldn't worry if it gouges that nut a little bit?
It's a hunk of metal that lives underwater, for God's sake. Does it have to be pretty?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Note... After tightening the small nut - You should beholding the small nut while tightening the large nut against the small
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #47
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
You want to make sure that the fit isn't riding on the key as well. Take the prop off again and put the key back into the keyway. Reinstall the prop and check that it goes back to the mark.

Make sure the key is not bottoming out at the radius at the end of the keyway, which will force the hub off center and create a stress riser on the shaft at the keyway.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
You want to make sure that the fit isn't riding on the key as well. Take the prop off again and put the key back into the keyway. Reinstall the prop and check that it goes back to the mark.

Make sure the key is not bottoming out at the radius at the end of the keyway, which will force the hub off center and create a stress riser on the shaft at the keyway.

Ok. Thanks.

So I took the prop to a prop shop that does mostly shrimp boat's and some offshore boats, and he said my key had a little wear but the key/keyway fit in the hub seemed OK.

He then said make sure you install the prop with the big nut against the prop. [emoji41]
Old 03-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #49
Guru

Everywhere I have worked, it would be considered very bad practice, unprofessional even, to use a pipe wrench on a nut. A smooth jaw wrench (aka Ford wrench) or smooth jaw hex wrench (looks kind of like a pipe wrench) is the proper adjustable tool to use. I have a huge crescent wrench as well, but the jaws get too thick to be used. I use a Ford wrench.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Everywhere I have worked, it would be considered very bad practice, unprofessional even, to use a pipe wrench on a nut.
You have never worked underwater. I assure you it is common practice.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #51
Guru

Torque? Tight. As tight as you can get it using hand tools properly. Probably not a calculated specification. I don't recall finding one in SAE J755 or in P-6. In a typical bolted joint, the threads are used to lengthen the fastener to create a tensile spring. That value is based on tensile strength of the bolt and can be easily calculated. In this case, threads and nut are only used to drive the prop up on the taper and hold it there.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #52
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A lot of things are "common practice" that I do'nt do. I would'nt put a pipe wrench to a machine nut either.

It's common practice to remove a prop by backing off the prop nut about 1/16", installing the puller tight and then hit the end of the prop shaft w a big hammer .. and of course the prop pops off against the nut.

I never do it that way. I install my prop puller and make it tight w the the prop nut just slightly loose and heat the prop hub w a MAP torch rotating the prop by the blades frequently until the prop goes bang. It's quite violent. And it's done. Beating on the end of my prop shaft and hence the thrust bearing in the transmission is not an option for me. But I'm fussy.
A propane torch will work but it takes a lot of time and even the blades get quite warm. The hotter MAP torch is hot enough to do the job quickly and only heat the prop hub.

Speaking of fussy I put the prop on w/o the key and check the fit. One can tell if it is'nt flush by eye or handling if it's way off but pushing the prop on very lightly and rotating it a few turns will make very fine but visable scratches at 90 degrees to the shaft where the shaft is against the 10 degree bore in the prop. If it's off the scratches will be only at one end. If so I take the prop and shaft back to the shop to get an accurate kiss pass on the lathe or a good reamer. And a test in the shop.
Lapping is time consuming and only fixes very slight variations.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
You have never worked underwater. I assure you it is common practice.
I laughed. I used to work with divers all the time. I get it. Just because it is a common practice, doesn't make it correct.

But really. Get the right tool if you make your living at it. No excuses. Don't take it personal. Consider it a step up against your competition.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...N/_/R-RDG31280
Attached Thumbnails
12HR39_AS01 (1).JPG  
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #54
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. "...could hardly get the prop back off." I don't know if I'm right or wrong but "jamming" on with little pressure suggests to me that it the prop and shaft could benefit with a bit of lapping. Might be hanging up on a high spot along the taper and just seem to be a tight fit.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 01. "...could hardly get the prop back off." I don't know if I'm right or wrong but "jamming" on with little pressure suggests to me that it the prop and shaft could benefit with a bit of lapping. Might be hanging up on a high spot along the taper and just seem to be a tight fit.
Usually if you can't get it off it means the taper is spot on.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #56
Guru

That's what I was hoping!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
I laughed. I used to work with divers all the time. I get it. Just because it is a common practice, doesn't make it correct.

But really. Get the right tool if you make your living at it. No excuses. Don't take it personal. Consider it a step up against your competition.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...N/_/R-RDG31280
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #58
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. NS. Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #59
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
.................... I install my prop puller and make it tight w the the prop nut 1/32" back and heat the prop hub w a MAP torch rotating the prop by the blades frequently until the prop goes pop .. ........... .
That's really hard to do if the boat is in the water.

I agree with you though that banging on the prop shaft with a big hammer could possibly damage the transmission and should be avoided if possible.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #60
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The only way to end the big nut/small nut issue would be to make them both the same size.

And I don't see a big issue with using a pipe wrench on the nuts. A bit of rash on the flats?? No big deal.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote