Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Prop......

......reconditioned, repitched & reinstalled
Attached Thumbnails
recond and repitched.jpg  
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
RE: Prop......

Is that PropSpeed on there, dwhatty? If so what is your experience with it in terms of lasting etc? I normally get a really good ablating anti-foul like International (Interlux) Micron 66, but the harder anti-foul they apply to the running gear is always the first to go, thereby detracting from the extra gained from the better anti-foul. They talked me out of PropSpeed, but next haul-out, which is soon, I'm considering.........
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

No prop speed or anything on there. Never have used anything on our props. Thinking of trying some Super Slick (http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...72/4,8796.html)* as it has worked okay on our dinghy prop the last couple of years.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Here are some before and after pix of Propspeed on my wheel. The "after" picture was a little more than a year later.
Attached Thumbnails
haulout 2-09 006.jpg   3-11-2010 haulout 007.jpg   haulout 2-09 005.jpg  
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #5

RE: Prop......How many engine hours between haulouts?

Quote:
Keith wrote:

Here are some before and after pix of Propspeed on my wheel. The "after" picture was a little more than a year later.

Keith,

Those photographs are impressive! How many engine hours were used during this period of time? Average amount of time passing between times the vessel was used perhaps as well.

Thanks,

John
Gamekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

I can't speak highly enough of the product (Prop Speed) have been using it now for over 5 years, normally get at least 18 months out of a well applied coating on a properly prepared prop. (no I have no interests in the Company)
Previously used different types of hard anti foul and even heated the prop and applied a coating of lanolin (Kiwi love juice) non of the above really worked.

When I have a better connection I will post some photos from previous slippings.
I lay alongside my berth for a few months each year after a slipping before i take off cruising, prop is allways as clean as a whistle when I leave.

If you do any shallow water work you can easily blow of your protection with the stirred up sand (this will happen with almost any coating)

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #7

Prop......

Benn,

Thanks for your response. I have heard nothing but good things about Prop-Speed recently, but never have had the chance to use it or seeing it being used. How does it hold up with lots of underway time?*Does it wash off at all?*I guess I am asking is there a lifespan figure available based on engine hours as it does not appear to degrade when in a static no use state from what I have learned thus far.

It is quite obvious it appears to do the job for vessels*which operate on an infrequent basis. Nothing better than hearing from folks who are using it with good results.

Looking forward to your photographs as well.*

Will have to take a look at their website and learn more.

John

-- Edited by Gamekeeper on Thursday 29th of April 2010 12:46:11 PM
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Prop......

My experience with PropSpeed has not been good. Very expensive to have done. ($400)
After two years, with my diver being very careful not to remove it, here is what it looks like.

Exactly two years since application

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 29th of April 2010 09:31:56 AM
Attached Thumbnails
prop after.jpg   prop before.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -

I've seen a lot of posts on T&T that reflect what SeaHorse has said. PropSpeed is expensive and the end results are not worth the money, is the tone of most of the posts. Some people have said they've been happy with it, but this may be due to their being in a different water environment than other posters, or after spending $400-plus bucks to have a coating painted or sprayed on a prop, they may be reluctant to admit they spent their money for nothing
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #10

Prop......

Quote:
Marin wrote:I've seen a lot of posts on T&T that reflect what SeaHorse has said. PropSpeed is expensive and the end results are not worth the money, is the tone of most of the posts. Some people have said they've been happy with it, but this may be due to their being in a different water environment than other posters, or after spending $400-plus bucks to have a coating painted or sprayed on a prop, they may be reluctant to admit they spent their money for nothing
Marin,

Thanks for your input. I had heard similar things several years ago and that plus the expense of it caused me to look past.... but now have seen the comments here.... kind of got me curious again.

I wonder what the issues are? Prep of prop? Water temp... corrosion issues? If anyone has any more input I am all ears on the this one.

John

-- Edited by Gamekeeper on Thursday 29th of April 2010 02:13:17 PM

-- Edited by Gamekeeper on Thursday 29th of April 2010 02:15:23 PM
Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 AM   #11
Guru

Yeah it's all in the preparation.
Depends on what you expect.
if i use hard anti foul or other products my prop is over grown within 2 months.
This prop stays very clean for long periods of time.
As I have stated previously stated when working the boat , normal use no problem, sand blasting will remove the coating in various stages, but this is true of any coating.

Like all vessels if you use it every day don't even bother to coat the prop.
On all our ships and rig tenders the props are never coated as they are in continual use.

Don't expect the impossible.

But if you use your boat occasionally this fills the bill and you don't have to dive and clean your prop every time you want to leave port and that to me is worth the $400.00 every 2 years.
I haul my boat at least every 12 months as she is a timber vessel.

thats my 2 c worth.
I think there are pictures of my prop on my page on the Passage Maker forum, if you can spare the time to delve into that slow site.

Benn
Old 04-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

My pictures represent only occasional use in that year. Mostly sitting at the dock, probably around 75 hours underway. The coating was a little tattier than I would have expected, but is working perfectly.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

I have heard surfboard wax does a good job as well??? Goes on easy and stays on and prohibits the ability of growth to get a grip.....cheap too. I will be quickhauling soon and gonna give it a go.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #14

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

It's in the preparaion and the application. I applied it myself, the first time about 6 years ago and it wasn't great. Now I use the yard where I haul and they sandblast the prop first and have the timing of the two coats down to a fine art. Too quickly or too slowly will give unsatisfactory results.

We get two years comfortably between applications. The bow thruster props last 4 years. Prop Speed has to be the biggest advance in underwater coatings I have seen in nearly 40 years of boating.

If you're not using it, you're wasting fuel!
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

I have used silicon spray (not to be confused with silicone) on my prop with good results as well. Same stuff you would spray on antenna connections to prevent corrosion.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #16
Guru

Prop......

Here's a few photos of my prop and prop speed applications over the last few years.
I was going to send them to John but didn't have his e-mail address so have included a couple of photos of when I blasted her back to bare timber in 2005.

Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Tuesday 4th of May 2010 03:44:23 AM
Attached Thumbnails
waiting for prop speed june 2005.jpg   june 2005 primer 2 coats.jpg   june 2005 2.jpg   june 2005 1.jpg   july 2006.jpg  

july 2006 after 16 months.jpg   jan 2007 after 18 months.jpg   application jan 2008.jpg   12 months service 2009.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

I had propspeed installed in November '09. Expensive to do right, I'll know after the next haul out if I want to continue or have diver scrub of barnacles every 6 months. He is down there anyway to change zincs.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I used Armor-all. Prop stays clean for over a year.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Most of what has been said above concurs with what I have found talking to owners who use Propspeed. It works by being 'slippery', but is quite soft, so the thing is to be careful about not running aground or into shallow water such that the prop is stirring up a lot of abrasive bottom.. If you can avoid that, then it appears good for the boat not used constantly, so Benn & Jeff B's & others similar comments are spot on I think. I'm going to try it next haul-out. Mind you, I was in real clear water the other day, (off Myora Benn), and had a good look at my (the boat's) bottom, and the Micron 66 is holding up well, and the prop and rudder weren't far behind, with just the usual hard anti-foul, and that was 2 yrs last Easter...
Any more news out there - trustworthy, that is - re this ultrasonic anti-fouling system. Now there's another, which is two electrodes, one each end of the hull, I gather.....?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Peter

You're close on the electrodes except one goes in // through your wallet
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote