Old 09-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #61
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I am surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
I converted my Honda EU2000.... It runs my 100 amp charger just fine with enough left over for a few lights and the microwave.
I am surprised that the Honda 2000 will run a 100 amp charger AND a microwave simultaneously. Most 100 amp chargers draw 15-17 amps AC (efficiency + power factor at work here) which is right at the maximum output of the Honda and beyond its continuous spec of 1,600 watts.

Perhaps when the batteries begin to get full, the charger output drops and the AC input drops to below 10 amps you could do it, but not for long.

Depending on the charger 75 amps output is about all that you can power continuously with the Honda.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #62
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Since the propane leaves with out creating varnish ,propane is the fuel of choice for folks that dont really need a noisemaker.

A year of no use will usually start right up, no hassle ,20 year old fuel? no problem.
+1

I've had fuel in the my small OB for a few years, it started up no problem.

It's oxidisation of the fuel which makes it go sticky; keep an airtight cap on the tank and it should last years.

Ps: make sure you run the carburettor float chamber dry before you store the engine.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #63
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Small microwave and yes the charger was not running at full output since the bank was nearly full.

Tom
tpbrady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #64
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I am surprised that the Honda 2000 will run a 100 amp charger AND a microwave simultaneously. Most 100 amp chargers draw 15-17 amps AC (efficiency + power factor at work here) which is right at the maximum output of the Honda and beyond its continuous spec of 1,600 watts.

Perhaps when the batteries begin to get full, the charger output drops and the AC input drops to below 10 amps you could do it, but not for long.

Depending on the charger 75 amps output is about all that you can power continuously with the Honda.

David
I agree. I run a 55A Iota charger with my Honda and during the initial stage of charging at 50+A, I am limited to additional loads. Once the charge reduces about 40A or less, then I can operate microwave or coffee maker without an overload problem. My 55A charger at max output requires 13.4A and the Honda is limited to 13.3A.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote