Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #21

City: Milford Connecticut
I have my Honda from Northern Tool and couldn't be happier! It only hurt a little while when I paid for it. I went with the 30A plug model so I can also go to the companion later on if need be. I will grab or make the extended run cap and hose for the dingy's fuel tank.

Future Liveaboard. Here to soak up knowledge good and bad. I'm a Veteran and Proud of it. __/)__ Fins up!
Ctsearay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #22

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
I have the Honda EU2000 generator. It has taken a beating and still starts on 1-2 pulls. It's a very high quality and expensive generator.

As far as knock of units, the only one I would entertain is the unit Costco sells, due to their easy return policy.

Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
............. As far as knock of units, the only one I would entertain is the unit Costco sells, due to their easy return policy.
The easy return policy isn't much use if you're cruising and not near a Costco. Even if you're near one, how far to you want to walk carrying a portable generator?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The easy return policy isn't much use if you're cruising and not near a Costco. Even if you're near one, how far to you want to walk carrying a portable generator?
My sentiments exactly
Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I saw a unit in Costco recently that had a Honda engine.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #26

Quote:

But for those that are near a Costco and aren't old as dirt.... it may be an option to consider.

BTW, I bring my Honda home all the time. It's really not that heavy for most people. It's also great to have in power outages. Hence they call it a 'portable' generator.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
plus what you save on the purchase price... you can afford a taxi to Costco if cruising.... and still have enough cash to buy some treats for the ride home...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #28
Guru

Honda sets the standard. Anyone seen a Kipor brand unit there? Looks much like a Honda, but yellow.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #29
Guru

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I needed to be. if you're cruising, away from home, and using a portable genset to power your boats AC, water heater, stove, etc. and it breaks down, you can't get electrical power out of the guarantee, you have to locate a Costco, find a marina nearby, carry the genset (OK, you can take a cab if you need to) to the Costco and hope they have a replacement in stock. The guarantee is only going to replace a defective genset for a year or so.

Spending the money up front for a higher quality genset makes it more likely that it's going to work when you need it and for a long time afterward.

It's similar to comparing Harbor Freight tools to Snap-on or Mac tools. Harbor freight has a lifetime replacement warranty. Snap-on or Mac don't really need one.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #30

City: Milford Connecticut
What sold me on the Honda was I have a neighbor that's a contractor and uses his on job sites and it is USED and abused by his workers, he has had it 3 years and it starts on the second pull every time. And he bought it used.

Future Liveaboard. Here to soak up knowledge good and bad. I'm a Veteran and Proud of it. __/)__ Fins up!
Ctsearay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #31
TF Site Team

No brands are invincible, but the Honda sees to be a cut above the rest. I bought my Honda new several years ago and installed an hour meter. This year, at about 150 hrs on the hour meter, it failed with a broken connecting rod bolt.

It was a few weeks before I was able to repair it and return it to service. A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
No brands are invincible, but the Honda sees to be a cut above the rest. I bought my Honda new several years ago and installed an hour meter. This year, at about 150 hrs on the hour meter, it failed with a broken connecting rod bolt.

It was a few weeks before I was able to repair it and return it to service. A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair.
Would they really replace it free after several years?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #33
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
We have 944 hours on our Honda 2000. I wouldn't have anything thing else except maybe a Honda 3000. Our 2000 still starts on the first pull every time unless we have run it out of gas. We use Mobil One synthetic oil and have only used Rec90 gas in it. Two years old and still runs like new.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Things break while cruising...no getting around that.

I think the Costco point was a good one...but certainly not the only option.

The real debate is are the cheaper ones "as good", "almost as good" or so far down the "good" line that they aren't worth buying?

I have NOT heard good things about anything but Yammies and Hondas. That said.... others have the cheaper ones and no complaints "so far".. However, those that have Hondas, myself included, seem to have them last forever (mines coming up on 20 years now with only rare oil changes and some pretty good abuse) and run great despite sometimes the lack of care, overloading all the time, etc...etc...

If there's anyone out there with a lesser known brand and a 1000 hrs or so on it or say 10 years of light to intermittent use...I would find that info a lot more useful than speculation whether the gold standard is the only thing worth buying.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Would they really replace it free after several years?
You'd have to research the Costco extended warranties on your own. I haven't bought a generator there.

http://www.costco.com/

Old 09-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
You'd have to research the Costco extended warranties on your own. I haven't bought a generator there.

http://www.costco.com/
You are the one who stated " A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair."
Old 09-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #37
TF Site Team

Quote:
You are the one who stated " A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair."
I was responding to your comment, "you have to locate a Costco, find a marina nearby, carry the genset (OK, you can take a cab if you need to) to the Costco and hope they have a replacement in stock. The guarantee is only going to replace a defective genset for a year or so."

Old 09-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #38

Quote:

I can answer that. Yes, they will take it back years after purchase. The only exception is TV's and electronics. Tools, generators, and everything else Costco sells can be returned years after purchase if not fully satisfied. It's what sets Costco apart from any other retailer, and it's why they are so darn popular.

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund." ---Costco.com
Old 09-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #39
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
I can answer that. Yes, they will take it back years after purchase. The only exception is TV's and electronics. Tools, generators, and everything else Costco sells can be returned years after purchase if not fully satisfied. It's what sets Costco apart from any other retailer, and it's why they are so darn popular
And I thought is was the free food being hocked by the little old ladies

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
I can answer that. Yes, they will take it back years after purchase. The only exception is TV's and electronics. Tools, generators, and everything else Costco sells can be returned years after purchase if not fully satisfied. It's what sets Costco apart from any other retailer, and it's why they are so darn popular.

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund." ---Costco.com
That would seem to say that you could buy a generator, run it until it's worn out and then exchange it for a new one. I suspect that's not the case.