Port Engine Dies in Reverse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neutral safety switch? Mine only interupts the START circuit to the start solenoid. Would it cause interruption of the Run circuit? We are all just guessing and probing for symptomatic information i know. (Love your avatar hollywood.) provokes happy thoughts.
Similar note my last boat with worn out gas engines has similar problem of dying while docking. That was just a barrel of laughs... AFTER we got it in, of course. culprit was very low compression. Rebuild engine solved that .
Take it out in open waters and repeat the conditions several times from bridge and lower helm. Make sure it is consistant not coincidental.
Good luck interested to hear what you find.
Dave.

On the GB36 we owned years ago if I came into the dock (due to wind, current, oogling the Admiral's new bikini vs. paying attention) a bit too hot the boat would die if there was forward momentum as she was slipped in reverse (boat not the Admiral! ).
I did this one time while skippering solo from the flybridge (and the damn boat did not have a start button on the flybridge) and found out is was possible to go over the side of the flybridge, swinging wildly.. landing on the side deck and lunging to the lower helm to hit the start button.. It didn't look seaman like but the boat didn't hit the head of the dock so no foul.
I bumped up the idle 100 rpm and it never happened again.. but since I had installed the second start button on the flybridge it was never going to happen again anyway.
Keep in mind that tach's are most times never right and the offending engine might actually be running slower.

HOLLYWOOD

Not clear if the shift and throttle controls are separate or or single-lever. Sure sounds like the bridge and lower controls are not adjusted the same.

Two sets of Morse controls. Black are the ones that shift the transmission and the red are the throttles. One set of black & red in the lower helm and one set in the fly bridge. Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom