please identify this part and its function on genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Ever since I've had the boat the genset has seeped diesel.
Today I have identified where, but what it is I am not sure.

The fuel line in connects to it.
It has a knob that winds in and out a few turns and it has always been in.
There is a black rubber hose coming off of it and to one of the injectors.

It is the tap itself that is leaking/weeping.
I thought it would be a manual pump but it doest seem to pull in-out, just winds in-out.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20170318_140138~01.jpg
    IMG_20170318_140138~01.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20170318_140120~01.jpg
    IMG_20170318_140120~01.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 110
I am guessing its a fuel vent to aid with bleeding air from the fuel system.

The "winds in and out a few turns" part sounds like a valve that opens and closes. I like your theory about it being a bleed valve. Does the other end of the hose join up with the fuel return?

As for the leak, is it leaking around the valve stem (assuming it's a valve)? Is the re a packing nut that can be snugged up? Otherwise maybe it can be disassembled and a new gland seal installed?

If there is a make/model tag on the injection pump, you might be able to google for info and figure it out for sure. I'd probably want to know for certain what it is before attempting a repair.

It could also be a manual primer pump to bleed the system. If you wined it all the way out does it disengage so you can pull it out?

Looks like a simple shut off valve. If it leaks at the shaft try tightening the jam nut or replacing the seat.

It's the injection pump bleed valve. Open it and some of the fuel in the pump is diverted to return line. You can leave it closed, or cracked open a quarter to half turn. Then if any air gets in system, it purges out and back to tank. If you have a good solid system and no air gets in, it will run fine closed. If you get stalls, crack it open and leave it.

If leaking, snug the gland nut right next to the knob. Snug it til you feel a bit of friction in the knob.

Some Kubota engines have this, others it is replaced with a drilled orifice that is fiddle-proof.

Causes more questions than I think they intended.

I leave them 1/4 turn open.

What brand of engine is it?

Based on visual, a Kubota.

look like you inlet hose on fuel injection pump are in clear hose (like tricoflex)
You need to remplace by fuel hose.

Regards

Hugues

look like you inlet hose on fuel injection pump are in clear hose (like tricoflex)
You need to remplace by fuel hose.

Regards

Hugues

Yep, on my list of jobs to do along with check the impeller when I figure out how to access it without snapping my spine.

It's the injection pump bleed valve. Open it and some of the fuel in the pump is diverted to return line. You can leave it closed, or cracked open a quarter to half turn. Then if any air gets in system, it purges out and back to tank. If you have a good solid system and no air gets in, it will run fine closed. If you get stalls, crack it open and leave it.

If leaking, snug the gland nut right next to the knob. Snug it til you feel a bit of friction in the knob.

That's it and have done the gland nut as suggested and will see if that works :thumb:

Hoorah, No more leaks.
Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom