Perkins Torque Numbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Had a gearhead friend on the boat this weekend. After freaking out about my Perkins 6.354 being a 5.8 liter was only a straigh-six, he asked a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. How much torque does this motor have? (non turbo)

Thanks!

GonzoF1 wrote:

Had a gearhead friend on the boat this weekend. After freaking out about my Perkins 6.354 being a 5.8 liter was only a straigh-six, he asked a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. How much torque does this motor have?
Simple calculation for a gearhead. T = 5252 X HP / rpm

When it produces 115 hp at 2800 rpm it generates 215.7 lb-ft of torque.* The maximum torque the engine is capable of producing is around 260 lb-ft but that is down around 1400 rpm and then the engine only puts out about 70 hp.

Sure... However, he had had a little too much wine to remember the formula.
smile.gif
I am curious if there was a published dyno curve somewhere.

GonzoF1 wrote:
After freaking out about my Perkins 6.354 being a 5.8 liter was only a straigh-six
Just curious as our soon to be (this week I hope) boat has turbo 6.3544 motors, was he freaking out in a good way or a bad way?***

He's a car guy (gassers). He didn't think a six-banger could possibly be that big. I had to pull out the shop manual to show him the c.i.d. displacement numbers to prove it.

He asked about the torque, but I couldn't find the numbers. Sadly, our guesses was WAY off the mark if Rick's numbers are accurate. I thought they would be upwards of 400+ ft/lbs. Oh well.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Monday 30th of August 2010 02:29:08 PM

I have a hp curve for the older T6.354 @ 160 bhp. My guess is that it will be very close to the range 4 165 bhp engine.

Gonzo,

I have all the original manuals(old yellow*paper style)*for my 6.354 ....I would be happy to look up or make copies....also, have you checked out boatdiesel.com? They have forums set up for different engine manufacturer/engine model forums. Very informative. Also, lots of other good stuff, I think it is $25/year but you can get manuals etc for all sorts of engine/transmissionother boat stuff. I think you can read the forums without a membership but have to register to post/ask questions....lots of good stuff on here too but I like that I can look up engine specific forums on that site with all sorts of questions/answers from pro's specific to my engine model....

I have looked at boatdiesel.com, but have not pulled the $25 trigger yet. A kind soul here has send me more manuals and parts list than I can possibly shake a stick at. So I guess I am good on that front for now. Perhaps we can go through them after we decide to come visit you soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom