Old 07-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Before paying even $8000, why wouldn't you convert back to a separate exhaust manifold and heat exchanger for less than half that? That's just insane!
I would do that in a minute. It was a MUCH better system and it can all me fresh water cooled for long life.

Manifold 800.
Oversize exchanger 400.
Oil cooler 250.
Aftercooler 1000.
Misc 500.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #22

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Thanks Brooksie, but I've had mine rebuilt by Trans Atlantic Diesel. It's been shipped to me and should arrive tomorrow......07/26

wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #23

Well folks.....it's been since May of this year........in fact, on the day we were headed out to "Spring Fling"! We'd run the boat over to the fuel pier the previous evening, stocked all our goodies, and we had just started the engines for the warm up prior to heading out..........Catastrophic oil loss out the exhaust of the port engine. After disassembly (suspecting the turbo) we surmised that the Mani-cooler and multi-cooler were the primary suspects......long story short.....New multi-cooler purchased and shipped from Suffolk, England. Mani-cooler and head shipped to Atlantic diesel. They refurbished the Mani-cooler and rebuilt the head and shipped them back. By this time, the original mechanic who disassembled the engine had begun a new career, soooooooooooooooo, had to find another outfit for reassembly. Finally found them and they began work inventorying then preparing/painting all the gathered parts, then when the schedule allowed reassembled my engine. Well...today at 1300 we had the sea trials with the reassembly team aboard.........which were a resounding SUCCESS. Engine performed flawlessly for 2 hours at various rpms, all pressures and temps optimal. Now we change the oil and filter in case of any debris in the pan, then after 10 more hours or so, adjust the valves and we're a 2 engine boat again. Only took 5 months, a million or so phone calls and e-mails and 10 boat bucks! I also gained a wealth of experience and knowledge.....Thanks for your assistance in helping me at least find out where to start.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #24

Well, that was short lived. Went out this morning..........spent a good hour bouncing around in 3 ft swells, loving every minute of it. Then, click............the port engine shuts down.........no oil loss, no rise in temperature. Oil on dipstick shows still full and clean, temps ran about 170.........but now, when trying to start it, you can hear the starter engage and the engine try to turn once...........then seizes.......not looking good. Mechanics who reassembled the engine will be here tomorrow, 11/09 to see if they can diagnose. Major bummer, but we had a good boat ride!
Old 11-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #25
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
Well, that was short lived. Went out this morning..........spent a good hour bouncing around in 3 ft swells, loving every minute of it. Then, click............the port engine shuts down.........no oil loss, no rise in temperature. Oil on dipstick shows still full and clean, temps ran about 170.........but now, when trying to start it, you can hear the starter engage and the engine try to turn once...........then seizes.......not looking good. Mechanics who reassembled the engine will be here tomorrow, 11/09 to see if they can diagnose. Major bummer, but we had a good boat ride!
Sorry to hear that. But it wouldn't be the first time that i've heard of a diesel engine shuts down and seizes after being put into service.

Lot's of complicated parts being put together and one parameter or assembly error can result in a bearing or rings seizing. Hopefully, the mechanic will backup his work.