Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Brownsville, WA
Question Perkins T6.354 heat exchanger anode p/n

We hauled out today for bottom paint. I plan to several maintenance items while we are on the blocks. One of those items is replacing the pencil zinc in the heat exchanger. I realized when I sat down to order a replacement that my engine books are on board, a 60 minute drive from home.

Does anybody have easy access to a part number for a replacement pencil zinc for my T6.354? The help would be much appreciated.
mgdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Man I was just at the boat this afternoon . My book is on the boat as well . I'm sure I'll go back one day this week and I could get it for you then if you still
need .
Old 04-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
I can get it for you tommorow where all my receipts are i think they are 3'8 but mine dont go in the heat exchanger they go in line
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Jefferson Ma.
Vessel Name: Anegada da Vida
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 mk1
If this helps, my bill from the marina says CAM-E1ZP Penzil Zinc 1/2 x 2 3/8 PLU. One for the heat exchanger, one for the intercooler.
jdud133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I haven't been able to find ANY zincs on my 1982 T6.354's.

Any clues as to where to look?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Jefferson Ma.
Vessel Name: Anegada da Vida
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 mk1
This is the zinc in the heat exchanger.

This is the zinc on the intercooler. It is the middle bolt. It is on the end that faces forward.

jdud133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replys. I haven't had time to do anything about them yet. I did get the chance to rretreive my engine manuals yesterday after work. I'll post what I end up doing to add to the knowledge base.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

After thoroughly reviewing my engine manuals and parts book I have been unable to find any mention of anodes. I did discover a hand written note stating "Air Pro says no zincs in engine, none necessary". I also spent time climbing around in the engine room and did not see anything that looked like an anode for the heat exchanger. I am going to press forward with the assumption that this T6.3544 does not have pencil anodes in the engine unless I get hard evidence to the contrary.

Thanks for the responses, and I hope this helps someone else in the future.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
My 1984 non turbo'd 6.354's do not have pencil zincs
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavis View Post
After thoroughly reviewing my engine manuals and parts book I have been unable to find any mention of anodes.... I am going to press forward with the assumption that this T6.3544 does not have pencil anodes in the engine unless I get hard evidence to the contrary.
Same here. Asked an old-time diesel mechanic and he said a lot of those Perkins' didn't have them. Asked me some questions about my configuration and his conclusion was that mine probably didn't.

Mine were installed in 1982, if that helps.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavis View Post
I am going to press forward with the assumption that this T6.3544 does not have pencil anodes in the engine unless I get hard evidence to the contrary.
Thanks for the responses, and I hope this helps someone else in the future.
That is correct. As long as the engine is freshwater cooled, either heat exchanger or keel cooler, there is no reason to have an anode in the Antifreeze/freshwater cooled block.

There should be one pencil zinc in saltwater side of the heat exchanger and if equipped with a turbo cooler a pencil zinc as well. If you have an aftermarket combo oil cooler there will most likely be a pencil zinc there as well. My factory oil coolers did not have zinc's, but replacements do.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

On a 6.354T I had in an old Mainship 34 the previous owner had inserted in the incoming saltwater hose a pencil zinc holder similar to one shown by Sendure in their current catalog. It has incorporated a lug for a grounding lead. The very expensive combined engine and tranny heat exchanger had no provision for a zinc because the manufacturer said it "didn't need one".
stonejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Zincs for Perkins 6.354

Our '81 Californian's Perkins engines are bonded to the main anode on the transom. Still seems like a good idea to have something sticking into the cooling water....
We are fresh water ops, so I am changing main zinc transom anode to magnesium, and adding mags to shafts, and tabs which have not been present before. I will be looking for pencil anode locations or potential locations next time at the boat (in winter storage now).
Knock wood, but no apparent metal loss in many years with the one big zinc in use.
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote