Old 11-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #101
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Gadenors

When Perkins went to Sabre to marinize the new design 6 liter engine about 15 years ago the similarities to the older Perkins designs were few. Even the paint is different. The Perkins Sabre 225TI and its variants are a current engine and when painting yellow began about a decade ago the Cat 3056 was born. Parts for either are easy to come by in the US, Canada or flown in from England.

The most common parts like filters are off the shelf in most locations and the raw water pump a Jabsco. Water pumps are gear driven and exhaust manifold coolant cooled.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #102

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Gadenors

When Perkins went to Sabre to marinize the new design 6 liter engine about 15 years ago the similarities to the older Perkins designs were few. Even the paint is different. The Perkins Sabre 225TI and its variants are a current engine and when painting yellow began about a decade ago the Cat 3056 was born. Parts for either are easy to come by in the US, Canada or flown in from England.

The most common parts like filters are off the shelf in most locations and the raw water pump a Jabsco. Water pumps are gear driven and exhaust manifold coolant cooled.
I wonder if I could swap the heat exchanger for the one from a Cat 3056 and put the exhaust manifold into the freshwater circuit. My existing exchanger is in excellent shape and I just disassembled and cleaned it out.

R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #103
Veteran Member

City: thisted
Vessel Name: Elviva
Vessel Model: trawl/tug Ejvind 25
About which engine, make and color.
Europe we have Mitsubish
gadenors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #104
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_p_ryan View Post
I wonder if I could swap the heat exchanger for the one from a Cat 3056 and put the exhaust manifold into the freshwater circuit. My existing exchanger is in excellent shape and I just disassembled and cleaned it out.
Get the engine drawings from boatdiesel, Cat or PS to see what fits. The marine specific parts are pricey and likely don't compete with some alternatives you are considering.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #105

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
What I bought vs what I own

I'm just finishing up a major service:
Rebuilt turbo
Rebuilt air charge cooler
Disassemble and acid clean heat exchanger
Acid clean oil cooler
36 hour cycle of Evapo-Rust through exhaust manifold
Remove, clean and paint all plumbing
Replace hose couplings
Replace oil drain hose
Clean and paint motor
Oil and filter
New oil pressure switch
Two new batteries
Flush coolant from block and hot water heater

Attached are two pictures. One is the boat I bought, the other is the boat I own as I'm finishing up the maintenance.

A few things I learned:
Open the coolant drain valve on the low side of the block. Connect a hot water hose to the front of the block where the hose to water heater attaches. Turn on the hose and watch for several minutes while brown junk exits the valve. This was after draining all the coolant and it all was nice and clear green. So there was a bunch of brown slime coating the water passages in the block and head.

There is long, 1" diameter copper pipe that carries raw water from the heat exchanger to the exhaust manifold. It's about four feet long with several bends. The inside had hard black scale that looked like stalactites, crossing the inside of the tube.

The air charge cooler had a massive amount of scale on the raw water side and I believe this massively restricted the raw water flow.

The motor never overheated but the amount of scale that came out of the raw water circuit was several pounds. Makes me think that any flushing technique that doesn't involve disassembly is a waste of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151205_192351316.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	47194   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-rentals-anacortes-washington-processed.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	47195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151209_152700.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	47196  
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:57 AM   #106
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_p_ryan View Post
There is long, 1" diameter copper pipe that carries raw water from the heat exchanger to the exhaust manifold. It's about four feet long with several bends. The inside had hard black scale that looked like stalactites, crossing the inside of the tube
Mine didn't overheat either. But while running the engine after an oil change I noticed that all the raw water hoses between the raw water pump and that crossover pipe were swollen up like sausages and felt very hard to the touch. I pulled that pipe off and found the same buildup as you and a water passage about the diameter of a pencil.