Perkins Range 4-200 ,,, but it is a six cylinder ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antioch01

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
28' Cigarette SS, 20' Picklefork jet W/ Blown B/B
I am confused,,, I am looking at a 1987 trawler with Perkins Range 4-200 engines. I thought the 4 meant 4 cylinder but that is not the case, They are six cylinders and they are turbocharged. Are these reliable ? It looks to me they were made from 1987 through 1992. Does anyone have any info on the availability of parts and costs,, reliability ?

Thanks,

Robert

This is a variant of the Perkins 6.354, 200HP. I have also seen Range 4-220 or 240 (can't remember) on a late 80's Nova 44 CPMY. That date range sounds about right. Good engine, parts available for a cost, very reliable.

I use British Marine on the west coast. I'm sure there are good contacts on the east coast for parts.

Thanks Guru,

Are there any weak areas to check,,,,,, heat exchangers etc. ??
I am told the fuel usage is about 6.5 gals an hour at 9 to 10 knots. Which sounds like allot to me but it is twins. Does the fuel usage drop if you drop the speed to 5 or 6 knots or is it proportional and you just get there in twice the time.

Does 9 to 10 knots cruising sound about right for a 44 footer ?

-- Edited by antioch01 on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 07:52:16 PM

Speed and fuel consumption depends alot on the boat design,*power, weight*and hull design.*

But just as a reference, I burn 6.5 GPH at 10 knot with twin 6.354's (which is the same design engine) at 2200-2300 rpm.* But I'm running*130 hp NA engines in a 37'*boat.* You are talking twin*200hp engines in a 44' boat.**

One would think a larger boat with 400 hp would burn more fuel than a smaller boat with 260 hp at the same speed?**I*think*that*figure might be a little*low, but I wouldn't expect it to be a lot more.****

Larry B

Actually the engine is 185bhp @ 2400 RPM according to the Perkins stat sheet and I have to second the nod on British Marine they are great.

What you'll need to look at closely is the cooling system that touches seawater. They have a "manicooler" and an aftercooler stack that are very high dollar items when they goes south.
The base engine is fine., very durable and parts are available.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom