Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #21

Update: reduced oil consumption!

I have put about 25 hours on the Engines since I rebuilt the multicoolers. Prior to the rebuild I was using about a quart of oil in the starboard engine every 4 or 5 hours and about 1/2 that in the port engine. In the 25 hours since the rebuild the oil level has not moved on the dip stick on either engine! Before I noticed that running the engines harder increased the oil usage significantly probably due to increased pressure and reduced viscosity and it must have been leaking by into the raw water.

Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Good news! What hp Perkins engines do you have?

David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #23

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
That's great news! You do the work yourself? How bad was it? ie: tube stack/fittings/etc?
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #24

200 hp @ 2400 rpms Perkins

I had to machine 3 of the shells and shorten the tube stacks a few hundred thousandths as a result. Tube stacks were fine and my father and I completed all the work.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #25

I'm glad you have the capability of doing that. I lost the multicooler and the manicooler on my port engine. Sent them both to Trans Atlantic Diesel. They are able to rebuild the manicooler, however I had to purchase a new multicooler. I was able to find a brand new one (possibly the last in existence) at a Marine Supply store in Suffolk England.........had it shipped here, and Trans Atlantic has completed the rebuild of my manicooler and has shipped it back to Texas for me...should arrive next week.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #26

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Duvie,sir you are my new hero! You found away to get a problem solved. These coolers are a nightmare ,and I have been working on keeping mine in good shape. Have also used a heavy duty waterproof grease on the aluminium parts,o rings and bundles. Service mine every two years as I sit at the dock in marathon most of the time now that we live aboard full time. Thanks for you post. The Perkin nation thanks you.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
I have put about 25 hours on the Engines since I rebuilt the multicoolers. Prior to the rebuild I was using about a quart of oil in the starboard engine every 4 or 5 hours and about 1/2 that in the port engine. In the 25 hours since the rebuild the oil level has not moved on the dip stick on either engine! Before I noticed that running the engines harder increased the oil usage significantly probably due to increased pressure and reduced viscosity and it must have been leaking by into the raw water.
I had the same experience with my Perkins horizontal. I replaced the in-tank oil cooler with an external oil cooler. The in-tank cooler was not fully immersed in the oil when the dipstick showed full. Crazy design?
After installing a proper external cooler, my consumption, which was as high as 1 gal / 100 gal fuel if I ran hard, fell to "not measurable".
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #28

Ok, so now that I've spent a fortune rebuilding/purchasing new multicooler and manicooler on the port engine, what preventative procedures do you knowledgeable fold recommend for the starboard engine so I don't have to do this again?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
Ok, so now that I've spent a fortune rebuilding/purchasing new multicooler and manicooler on the port engine, what preventative procedures do you knowledgeable fold recommend for the starboard engine so I don't have to do this again?
You must keep the copper/brass from touching the aluminum and keep the zincs fresh
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #30

Ok, I understand the zincs, etc. What I'm wondering is since the starboard engine has the same hours as the port engine, although shows no signs of diminished exhaust water flow, should I flush it out with something to possibly clean it out to delay a catastrophic loss as happened in the port engine?