Perkins M135 coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
The manual calls for Havoline Extended Life which baffles the auto parts store guy. The Westmarine guys handed me a bottle of their stuff. I've spent hours looking at charts and colors and I'm more confused than ever.

I ended up buying Zerex heavy duty extended life coolant which lists just about every engine manufacturer on the label but I've got more buyers remorse than after I bought my last car.

Thoughts?

You will be fine with your Zerex. Extended life means it has additives to deal with acid and other contaminant build up. And your engine does not have an aluminum exhaust manifold which needs low silicate antifreeze.

So sleep soundly.

David

What David said.
I have a steel exhaust manifold and the coolant doesn’t come in contact w aluminum. This was no accident as I had some problems w corrosion on my first trawler.

No aluminum and I use the old fashioned green stuff.
I change the coolant fairly regularly as it’s easy. I put a little brass ball valve on the coolant drain plug hole on the right service side of the engine. I use an oil extractor to remove the coolant. With the engine warmed up I open the valve slowly until coolant starts to flow out of the engine. When the coolant pressure is depleted I use the vacuum pump handle to suck out the rest.

Just keep in mind that unless you know the exact brand of coolant, the color is meaningless. There are no standards for coloring of anti freeze, and different companies use different colors to indicate different things.

Thanks everyone for the replies!:thumb:

If your engines are Perkins Sabre Chevron red is closest match to PS labeled product - no obtainum. I buy the Chevron premix. It also is recommended for our diesel heater.

Back
Top Bottom