Perkins HT6.354 oil level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooksie

Guru
Vessel Name
Island Seeker
Vessel Make
Willard 36 Sedan
Now I will raise a question, on the HT6.354 engine which I think several members have. I find that if I fill mine to the full mark on the dipstick, the oil does not cover the oil cooler core in the oil pan/tank. In order to cover this I need 3 more quarts raising the level 1.5" above the factory full mark on the dipstick.

The shop manual for this engine calls for 12.6 or 13.8 in one manual depending on "early or late" model. An Operators Manual says 13.8 qts., another Operators Manual says 16.8qts.

A parts manual for very early horizontal engines calls for dipstick #31786429 my dipstick is stamped #31786412 and has max. @ 6" and min.@ 7".

I never thought it was a problem overfilling to cover the cooler core since these horizontal engines use a dry sump lubrication system in which the oil pan is really a tank and the crankshaft can't hit the oil. But now I'm not so sure because my engine seems to have more oil smoke and use a little more oil when overfilled like this.

I am putting this question out in hopes someone can help me answer this question.

When you say dry sump are you referencing a external oil tank that is not part of the oil pan that uses a separate oil scavenging pump to remove oil from the engine sump to the external tank or the wide shallow winged oil pan seen on some Perkins engines?

Yes it is a dry sump system w/ scavenge and pressure pumps but what looks like the oil pan IS the tank and the oil cooler is in that tank. No, not the "batwing" tank.

A few pictures fo what I am talking about from my shop manual and an older parts mauual.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 322
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 322
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,091
I don't have enough hands on experience with horizontal 6.354s to offer much help but in theory the tank side oil level should not make any difference in engine smoking & the cooler would need to be in the oil to work. Unless you fill the tank over the top of the oil cooler allowing oil to flow back to the crank case via the scavenger return pipe opening

Last edited:
The dry sump/scavenging arrangement requires the oil level to be checked while the engine is running or immediately after shutting down.
You should find that in the manual somewhere.

It is also critical with these engines that you use only "Perkins" brand oil filters as none the various "equivalents" have a pressure relief spring like the Perkins unit and will cause enough back pressure to blow some oil hence more smoke.

here is a picture from my 6.3544 manual stating to check oil level while idling or immediately after shutting down on the horizontal engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 197
So, I guess by overfilling it enough to completely immerse the oil cooler core, the oil is sloshing through the "window" where the scavenge & relief pipes enter the tank. Some must be being thrown, by the crank, onto the cylinders thus the additional smoke and consumption.

Seems wierd that the cooler core can't be completely immersed. This is a very level engine installation.

Last edited:
Brooksie.....can you post a picture of your engine?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom