Perkins Heat Exchanger Tube Stack Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sundowner

Vessel Name
Still pandemonium
Vessel Make
Mainship Gen III
I am replacing a leaking tube stack bundle on my 6.3544M Perkins 200. I have both end plates removed and am working on getting the stack freed up to remove it aft. So far I have applied PB blaster and some tapping with a block and hammer, if anyone has removed this part before I would appreciate any tips.

Do you have it removed from the engine? If this is an integrated manifold/cooler it will be a lot of work to remove, but it may be the only way.

Then stand it up on end and spray PB Blaster around the outer edge at the joint. Let is sit for a day while spraying periodically. Reverse and do the same thing on the other end.

Then tap with a block of wood against the tube sheet.

David

Last edited:
remove cooler from engine, then separate each cooler, trans,oil,turbo{if you have one} Once separated , remove corrodion from housing and bundle. pour vinager around edge and let work. use the block of wood and tap with mallet. may take time but will work its self loose.

If you can, heat the vinegar, it will work better. White vinegar works very well.

Another possibility, toilet bowl cleaner, the acidic kind. Very cheap from dollar store. I was cleaning the toilet and it smells like phosphoric acid.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Welcome aboard. Potentially silly question but is the bundle meant to come out? I think the bundle on our Lehman is soldered in place or I could be completely wrong about that.

yes they do come out of the aluminmim housing. New O-ring are available from Perkins and a new bundle can be made.Housings not so much. Be careful !!!

Removed...now how do you put it back in?

Hi all,

I have been cleaning my heat exchanger...all looks spotless now. It's a Perkins 6.3544. I wasn't going to remove the rods as I could clean everything with them in. But when I went to re-assemble, I had a hard time putting the one gasket on that fits under the end flange. So I decided to remove the tubes - worked well with a piece of wood and a hammer.

Now that they are off I noticed what looks like grease inside the housing. I am ready to reassemble - should it be dry to reassemble, or should I be putting grease to help it slide in?

Thanks!

This is what Tony Athens recommends for using on a Cummins aftercooler when putting it back together.

Alco-Metalube Heavy Duty Lubricant, Standard Cartridge Tubes (2), 1.5 Lb. Ea.

Attachments

• Perkins heat exchanger.jpg
    Perkins heat exchanger.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom