Perkins Fuel Injectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Had a very pleasant surprise yesterday. I removed the injectors from my 1973 4-236 engines and took them to a shop for inspection/overhaul. 40 years old, about 3800 hours on them. All they needed was a little cleaning, bench-checked good to go. Only charged $64.00 for it. The guy said these injectors were bullet-proof, as long as the fuel was clear of water. They don't make them like that anymore. Old guys (and old boats) rule!

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 127
Bilgewater
IMHO, a 4.236?is bullet proof! Lull of those fuel filter changes are paying off. Clean fuel. No problem. Introduce a little water then comes steam/rust/wear.

Lehman 135 Twins

I love hearing that! I'm 4 years and 1000 hours behind you, Bilgewater.

But I did have a stbd water contamination shutdown last summer that has since been remedied. What's "a little water"? Mine both seem to run as well now as they ever have.

I've run, worked on, and owned many various diesels for over 30years. In all that time, it's amazing how FEW injectors I've had to replace. Most were Detroit rebuilds, but that is another topic. It's one of the last things on the list when I am troubleshooting.

Generally very reliable, those injectors.

Flywright, I'm not sure I can give you a definitive answer, I have just heard over the years that introducing moisture to an injector that is in a hot engine causes the steam/ rust result. I'm sure you are running a CAV filter set up and injector pump- and chances are any moisture you saw never made it to the injector.

Lehman 135 Twins

Bilge,

I wonder if you've noticed an improvement in fuel economy (maybe too soon) or less smoke due to the cleaned injectors. I've got a 6.354 and never had any problems, but I'm wondering if a proactive cleaning might be easy and cheap.

Woody

I had one injector on a 6.354 that appeared to be causing the engine to run a little rough. I found it using an IR thermometer. That one injector was about 20 degrees cooler than the rest.

Tom

Should water get thru to most any injector , rust is hardly the problem,

The water at high temperature can turn to steam and the pressure blows the tip off the injector.

I've got a 6.354 and never had any problems, but I'm wondering if a proactive cleaning might be easy and cheap.
Woody

If your 6.354 is running smoothly and no smoke, it's not necessary to have the injectors cleaned or rebuilt. They'll let you know when they need service!!:eek:

My starboard 6.354 has one injector now that is hanging up occasionally and will smoke to beat hell, but happens only at start up. We can't figure out which one is doing it, so I will pull all six and have them checked by the injector shop. They can bench test them for pressure and spray pattern in short order and rebuild the bad one. Much easier and cleaner than trying to test them on the engine. Just don't forget to replace the aluminum washer from around the nozzle tip with a new one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom