Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems

Old 10-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #21

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Just echoing what's been said, my experience with Perkins (mainly smaller naturals, e.g. 4-107s / 4-108s) has been all good. Take care of most diesels, and they'll take care of you, but I've found that to be especially true of all the Perkins engines that I've spent many hours and days (and nights) hearing and feeling as they clattered happily away beneath my feet.

Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Hey, BP, is that a drop of oil I see on your ER floor? Errrr....nevermind, just a smudge on my laptop screen.
Damn ! you almost gave me a stroke !

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
My 4-236 has been bulletproof so far and ive tested said bulleproofness several times with no bad results. No hesitation on my end in recommending Perkins though the 4-236 is all i have experience with.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3star View Post
I'm actually shopping for a trawler in your area. I live in Gig Harbor. I like the look of your boat, but my broker has strongly advised me to stay away from the Perkins Diesel motors. He says parts are very difficult to find and expensive. What say you?
Jeff
Nothing wrong with Perkins engines. The engine parts are all readily available. They're pretty much bullet proof. Mine are 40 years old and never been opened up.

He's probably talking about the Manicooler on the Perkins Range 4 6.354 and the exhaust manifold for the "non turbo charged" N/A 6.354M which are both out of production. (Barr makes after market for the turbo'd 6.354 engine)

MESA marine has the patterns for the N/A 6.354M and will build a stainless replacement for around 2 boat dollars. Mine have both been replaced.

MESA also has a pattern for the custom Manicooler. . . . but you don't want to know the asking price.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Zara / Journey
Vessel Model: 1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
I've had no experience with these folks (yet) but it would appear the they should be able to provide most of the parts needed. Perkins Diesel Engine Parts and Service | Perkins Pacific Just down the road from you in Ridgefield, WA.
OreWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #26

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Have the twin Perkins 6.354 in my Jefferson 45. Engines are not the problem,it the manifold,and heat exchanger that are the problems. Engine parts are available from multiple sources. The marine add on parts are the problems. Mr cool.com makes the cooler $$$$$$, and have had the exhaust manifolds riser made for $ 800.00 each out of stainless in ft Lauderdale. Don't want to know what the cost is for the heat exchanger if it's available, someone posted awhile back that he got the last one from England? I flush with city water while setting at the dock and don't let salt water remain in the coolers . unless we are running. This has help prolong the life I'm sure. Service themanicoolers every two years to check for corrosion. Good luck in your search.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Zara / Journey
Vessel Model: 1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
Replaced the heat exchanger on my '80 6.354 last year. Was around $800 from Go2marine if I remember correctly. Believe that it was made in Bellingham, WA but can't remember by who.
OreWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #28

City: Gig Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post

I don't want to mislead, especially since this thread started off my for-sale listing, but I don't believe it does.

It does have an external heat exchanger, which I thought the mani-cooler design didn't have.

I'm headed down to the boat this morning for a bit, so I'd there's an easy way to verify, I'll check it.
My wife and I actually saw your boat today at the Foss Marina. We really loved the feel of the Europa style, but felt that it just wasn't big enough. Like you had stated in a previous post, we felt a second state room was necessary. Thanks for your help!
my3star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #29

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 1983 Fu Hwa Seahorse
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Of course! Good luck with your search.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
I was married to perkins engines for more than 10 years on different boats... very good engines, other than the occasional and expectable oil leaking from any seal, very robust and reliable engines... I would buy any boat without concern about Perkins... easy to fix and parts are available all over the world... maybe your broker had a bad experience...
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #31

City: Gig Harbor
Thanks Garrobito,

Looks like we are going to end up with a Detroit Diesel powered boat. It is a 40' Cooper Prowler with twin diesel. If all goes well, should have it by the end of the month.

Jeff
my3star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Edelweiss, you have owned your boat for its entire 40 year life. Kudos to you...that's pretty rare these days.

How many hours have you put on your Perkins engines? What's the 6.354 model? What have been your biggest ticket items to replace/maintain for your "old' vessel?

For me (9 yrs ownership with 1100 of 3300 hrs) my exhaust manifold was big ($1800 part only!)...and then there was that time I ran aground and had to replace 2 struts (with cutlass, of course), shaft and PSS log plus bottom paint. Oh ya...those were the same day!! That was a bad day on the water for me! The PO had a similar experience that resulted in a soft grounding during a friend rescue and a trashed port tranny.

I love the simplicity of the old Perkins. Suck, squeeze, bang and blow at its most basic level. No electronics, no electric pumps,... Hell, I don't even have blowers or engine alarms. I've heard that the 4.236 can take an overheat, cool down and keep on truckin'! If that's true, I don't see the need for the expense of adding engine alarms.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3star View Post
Thanks Garrobito,

Looks like we are going to end up with a Detroit Diesel powered boat. It is a 40' Cooper Prowler with twin diesel. If all goes well, should have it by the end of the month.

Jeff

Hi Jeff! I'm in the process to buy a steel trawler with a 6-71 detroit, I open a threat about replace engine or not... Detroit are very good engine, but as a part of the refit, I'm thinking replace for cummins. Good luck and keep us posted!
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #34
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Edelweiss, you have owned your boat for its entire 40 year life. Kudos to you...that's pretty rare these days.

How many hours have you put on your Perkins engines? What's the 6.354 model? What have been your biggest ticket items to replace/maintain for your "old' vessel?

For me (9 yrs ownership with 1100 of 3300 hrs) my exhaust manifold was big ($1800 part only!)...and then there was that time I ran aground and had to replace 2 struts (with cutlass, of course), shaft and PSS log plus bottom paint. Oh ya...those were the same day!! That was a bad day on the water for me! The PO had a similar experience that resulted in a soft grounding during a friend rescue and a trashed port tranny.

I love the simplicity of the old Perkins.
That's correct Al. My father and I bought the boat new in 1977, it's a '76 model. They are 6.354M Perkins N/A and have around 2500 hrs on them now. Still have the same Onan MDJE 7.5kw generator.

Purchases: Lot's of small stuff of course, electronics, cutless bearings, motor mounts, alternators, the odd pump. Heat exchanger cores were about 6 boat dollars each, but the single largest purchase was probably, like you, the exhaust Manifolds. Both were replaced with MESA stainless manifolds, I don't remember what I paid for them at the time of purchase, but they're around $2000 each now.

I agree, Perkins are pretty tough engines and don't require a lot of babying or maintenance. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations for lube and fuel oil and you have no problems. I still use the original equipment Fram CCS 1136 water separators without problem and injectors / pumps are original.

I've never been grounded, but did damage a prop once coming out of Pirates Cove in the BC Gulf Islands.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #35

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Well, since I had a massive oil leak on my Perkins ST 6.354 turbo charged, I had to purchase a new oil cooler from Suffolk, England,...plus have the mani-cooler refurbished by Atlantic Diesel (I also shipped them the head for a rebuilt) I'm finally back to a two engine boat. This entire project began in May and sea-trials for the rebuild are tomorrow, 11/08. The engine itself is easy to work on, parts are readily available, but the marine addition parts are a basic, EXPENSIVE, pia...........however, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Perkins....everyone, PLEASE wish me luck on the sea-trials.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Fingers crossed for you, Wyoboater!

Why does everything on a boat take twice as long to fix and cost twice as much as you'd expect?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #37

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
My boat has twin Perkins 4-236's and except for rebuilding the high pressure fuel pumps they have been good. They both have 2500+ hrs on them.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #38

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
FlyWright wrote, "Why does everything on a boat take twice as long to fix and cost twice as much as you'd expect?"

For running gear, the extra time is because all work is performed in a hot, cramped engine compartment over a dark bilge that swallows tools, parts and fasteners (requiring you to wiggle out of your contorted working position and go back to the marine supply store). To the second question: if the word "marine" appears anywhere on the packaging, the price is automatically multiplied by two at the checkout scanner. (That's embedded in the bar code). Additional cost factor: the beer necessary to make the aforementioned facts of life tolerable.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #39

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Well, the sea-trials were a ROUSING success!!!!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #40

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Mani cooler

I too read some stories about Mani coolers, in less time than brewing a cup of coffee I found a brand new old stock main for $4,200. I won't stop looking at Perkins powered boats.