Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Perkins 6.354 starter solenoid

When it rains, it pours!

We just got our fuel tanks in and the engines ran for the first time in two months. Now it appears that the marina guys slopped 'barnacle buster' all over the engine's relays and starter solenoid. I've cleaned everything I could see, got the corrosion off of connections, replaced the relays, disassembled the starter solenoid and cleaned the internal connections. They were burned. I got several cranks and one 'almost start' before its performance dropped back to no cranking. Gotta' find a new solenoid.

Where? How do I find a part number? I've got the parts manuals but they don't include the solenoid(!).
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
When it rains, it pours!

Where? How do I find a part number? I've got the parts manuals but they don't include the solenoid(!).
Life is simple with eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...ds=&rmvSB=true
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Ashland City, TN
Vessel Name: Tinker Belle
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar 43 Trawler
I just had one of my 6.354 starters rebuilt. Its a pretty common Delco starter/solenoid combo. Any local rebuilder will have access to the part. I went for a complete rebuild w/ new solenoid. Cost about $200.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
Guru

I also had a Perkins starter rebuilt. Very common starter any shop can do it.
I believe the external solenoid is generic. I carry a generic aboard for my Lehman.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Last week I replaced the starter solenoid on a Perkins 6.354 on a farm tractor. Got it from a shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. Cost about $25.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Bought a solenoid from TAD. Exact match. About $60. + overnight UPS.

Installed it. Still no go! Turn key and the idiot lights light and alarms sound. Turn key to start and lights and sounds turn off and the starter gives one clunk and then nothing. (The starboard engine's idiot lights and sounds work until the engine starts.)
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Pull the starter apart, dress the commutator, clean it well, grease the bearings, replace the brushes, might even paint it if you're not in a rush, another 20 years added. Easy job.

Although, it's probably a ground connection - you did check that?
Old 08-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Have you checked the battery voltage at the battery while trying to crank? Should stay above ~ 10.5V. If not then battery is in question.
If so then a connection is still in question.
If you are positive that all connections are GOOD, tight, clean including the crimp barrels then the starter may be in need of some work.
Last try would be to connect the DMM to the starter lugs, not the solenoid, and try cranking again. If voltage looks good and still just a clunk then the starter will need some work as
Xsbank suggests. If the problem is in the starter the voltage may not even drop much since no or low current means no or low voltage drop.

Another question. How is the starter grounded? Many have a dedicated ground terminal which will have a ground wire which ideally would go back to the battery buss but is often simply connected to the engine block. If the engine block to battery buss is poor the the starter cannot work.
Which brings up the other item. Many starters are grounded through their own case to the engine block where the starter bolts to the block. If that junction/mounting is dirty the starter cannot work as the circuit is compromised.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote