Perkins 4-154 fuel issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeybadger

Vessel Name
HoneyBadger
Vessel Make
1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
I have a 4-154 non turbo perkins diesel, #1 in rebuilding my boat i insalled a second Stainless Steel tank under the rear Deck area cleaned it hooked it all up and it seemed to work great, Now when i switch to it, The engine will run for a min and then start starving for fuel and shut down ? all vents are clear and i can draw from the tank no problems unhooked ? it was a Gas tank i cleaned it added a fuel return and it seemed to be fine any ideas would be great ? #2 my perkins seems to idle to high trouble shooting with everything i can find on the motor my only issue is the fuel pump that pulls from the filters and tanks is electric, I am unsure what PSI i need at the Injector pump and would this have any effect on idle ? locally i was told 3 to 4 PSI is all i need for the 70HP. if i am getting 10-20 psi is this causing the fast idle. I have Been asking about this motor since i bougth to boat, At best they said it was an industrial engine and the pump was changed to a automotive type when it was changed to a boat engine.:confused:

Your injection pump controls idle.I don't see a lift pump being an issues.Your engine's injection pump should have it's own lift pump,IIRC.You shouldn't need an extra electric pump.If the fuel system is free flowing with no restrictions,then I would move onto the electric pump and lift pump being the issue.Your idle maybe the throttle cable improperly adjusted.All I can think of.I'm no diesel mechanic but I can get by.

I have checked the adjustments and moved the low idle stop down and its still running fast at idle. The electric pump is the only pump other than the injector pump. Odd ?

Is it possible that you have a very minor air leak into that fuel line when the valve is off? If you leave that tank unused for a couple of days...that might be long enough for the fuel to back down losing prime, and you then have a good sized air bubble in the line that causes the engine to starve and shut down.....

I recently had a very tiny leak on one of my injector lines where it connected to the CAV injector pump.....had the hardest time finding it....but you could pick up a whiff of diesel.... It would actually play havoc with the engine....rough running, and when going back to idle...the engine would just die. Not good when you're in one of the locks on the Caloosahatchie....

Found the leak, fixed it....engine is happy now!

Thanks JAT someone tonight told me that a air leak would also make the idle either run fast or slow ? odd but it was a good source. Leak looking tomorow !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom