Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Perkins 4-108 stop solenoid location?

Hello,

After returning from the Willard Rendevous, we pulled into our slip and the stop button for the engine did nothing. After trying to locate the problem for several minute I finally pulled the air filter and blocked the air supply to shut it down. I've been searching and reading about the possible problem and it sounds like a potential solenoid issue. I cannot seem to find a diagram anywhere that could help me locate this bugger. Anyone have a diagram or can possible tell me where to find this? We have a shut down stop button on the inside helm dash and up on the flybridge. Maybe it is not a solenoid and someone out there can give me an idea of where to look. The engine is a Perkins 4-108

Thanks,

Keith Olive
La Conner, WA
WIllard 30/4

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
Hello,

After returning from the Willard Rendevous, we pulled into our slip and the stop button for the engine did nothing. After trying to locate the problem for several minute I finally pulled the air filter and blocked the air supply to shut it down. I've been searching and reading about the possible problem and it sounds like a potential solenoid issue. I cannot seem to find a diagram anywhere that could help me locate this bugger. Anyone have a diagram or can possible tell me where to find this? We have a shut down stop button on the inside helm dash and up on the flybridge. Maybe it is not a solenoid and someone out there can give me an idea of where to look. The engine is a Perkins 4-108

Thanks,

Keith Olive
La Conner, WA
WIllard 30/4

I'm not that familiar with the 4-108, I have Perkins 6-354's, but the stop solenoid will be close to your injector pump. If it is a CAV rotary pump, it will have a lever on the pump and linkage to the Stop solenoid which when activated by you pushing the stop button, pulls the lever up to shut off fuel supply from the pump. the solenoid will have one electrical wire. Check your wiring connections first and a volt/ohm meter maybe helpful. Connections are usually the problem.

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Same for my 4.236. A small bellcrank near the fuel injector pump, connected to a solenoid and a cable.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Solenoid

Thanks everyone. I found it in a photo I had taken of the engine after I had it pulled to do transmission seals. Now when I get up there the week of June 18th I'll get to check it out. It is right by the injection pump with a rubber diaphram hose and lever on it. One wire going to it.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote