Pair of Cummins 250 hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what they are asking you can get a pair of new or remanufactured Long Blocks and have 7-8 thousand in hand to rebuild injector pumps and other peripherals. Here is a 330 hp long block I bought last year for $3500 US and built up.

img_517220_0_caf0004f77e7abcdf6355f89d0c67bb0.jpg

Last edited:
If memory serves (it sometimes doesn`t) I think one of our resident mechanical experts had negative views about the Cummins 250.

Thank you for posting that link but the previous owner replaced them because they weren't strong enough so they probably had the bag run off them for their entire lives. I'd want a lot more info... my turbo doesn't have black crud in it like that one shows.

Actually, my apologies if that sounds bitchy. It's because I'm fed up with people thinking their cast-off boat parts are worth their weight in gold. They almost always have to be cleaned ("needs a little tlc"), rebuilt ("needs a little tlc") or is only useful for a core ("needs a little etc"). Those engines might be perfect, always had timely oil changes, gentle power lever use, air filters, fuel filters, zincs and driven monthly by a little old lady but out of a Sport fish? Your reputation precedes you.

The long block route might be a stretch for some of us, but at least you would know about every part you bolted on to it. Buying and installing a new turbo makes me drool a bit...

Last edited:
Long Block

"The other Gary",

The engine pictured in your post.

1) Your engine? And is this engine in your possession??

2) May I ask what it cost "delivered" to you?

3) Please post the CPL of the engine pictured in your post. This is very important if you are doing a rebuild to a particular spec/model

Tony

Hi Tony
It is in my boat complete now.
Long block with tin was 5200 Canadian delivered and taxed
CPL 1928 for the nippondenso injector pump.
All the peripherals I used from the existing engine or from the one I took out when I bought the recon from you to replace the first one I took out, whichever looked in best shape.
The recon you sold me is running A1 as well.

The following is all in Canadian dollars including tax

New long block from Cummins $5200 delivered
Rebuild injector pump and injectors $1750
New Turbo, I had one in my spares
Heat exchanger and transmission cooler servicing $250
Haulout, blocking pressure wash and relaunch $625
4 hours crane, 2 trips at 2 hours $500
Shop time $800, includes setting up and timing injector pump and stand startup
Oil, filters and antifreeze $165
mechanic and helper for both removal and install 8 hours total $1200
impellers, sensors, paint and misc. parts $250
My time 26 hours, a gash on my head and numerous bleeding knuckles , PRICELESS

Total $10,740 CDN
For a 5.9BTA Cummins with all new or completely reconditioned parts plus I now have a spare
starter, turbo, raw water pump, alternator and solenoids to keep on board.

That's exactly what I wanted..........Plus, I kinda guessed you did it all right..

My thing here was for someone, not me, to show that buying "genuine Cummins" works and is really very cost effective compared ti the "Chinese" knock-offs" that I still am looking for some positive feed back after all the dust settles..So far, ZERO on that.

Trust me, you did it all 100% right..

GOOD JOB!

Tony

Tony, I have had great service from you on the first engine, delivered right to my door on time and you threw in the remote oil kit as well. It got me back on the water fast.
Now I'm retired, watching my pennies and the CDN dollar has taken dump so I had the time to turn my own wrenches and act like the cheap old guy they all say I am.

It was fun.

On a side note Tony, the seller had this CPL 1928 on the floor a long time as not too many are around now. What he wanted and what he accepted differed greatly.

My thing here was for someone, not me, to show that buying "genuine Cummins" works and is really very cost effective compared ti the "Chinese" knock-offs"

Cummings has Tier 3 engine manufacturing plants in China and the prices are much lower than in the USA. So aside from the generic comments about cheap Chinese products, does anyone here have feedback on those engines and parts?

Cummins operates 28 plants in China according to their website. The difference, I hope, is in their quality control vs. a knock off shop. Anything Cummins could come from anywhere in the world and, as long as the quality control is good, it will be good or warrantied.

Cummins does have manufacturing plants all over the world, but understand that the mid-range marine engines that is really what the marine market is all about in this country, are all built here or in the UK..I run into UK engine about 5-10 times a year. The parts to build these engines can, or do come from various places ( Brazil, Mexico, India, China, Canada, USA, UK, etc etc) but all the assembly ,
testing etc. is here or in the UK................As to China specifically, all of the Cummins engines built there under the Cummins license are for the ALL automotive, industrial, and power generation markets.

Any yes there are ton's of "Knock Offs" out there, but I would touch them. E-Bay is full on long blocks, manifolds, etc for those willing to try .... On a typical Chinese long block vs a genuine Cummins long block (like a CPL1928 ND 300/315B) , the cost difference is less than $2K to me.

Tony

I was quoted by a dealer in Shanghai for a new Cummins 6CTA8.3 rated between 220hp-270hp at $14,620. This is a new engine, not rebuilt, T2. Not a bad price. Before purchasing a person could do a QA audit however and ensure that it is coming from a Cummins-licensed factory. For us overseas buyers this is attractive.

You will be buying a "knockoff" , guaranteed--Plenty of these guys over there that build complete marine engines .. Right off, Cummins NEVER had any mid-range marine mechanical propulsion engine that was EPA T2, that alone should be a RED flag from the get go..

Tony

You will be buying a "knockoff" , guaranteed--Plenty of these guys over there that build complete marine engines ..

So define what you mean by knockoff. Is that a licensed manufacturer building locally, or are you saying that someone has created their own castings to build "look-alike" Cummins engines?

I was quoted by a dealer in Shanghai for a new Cummins 6CTA8.3 rated between 220hp-270hp at $14,620. This is a new engine, not rebuilt, T2. Not a bad price. Before purchasing a person could do a QA audit however and ensure that it is coming from a Cummins-licensed factory. For us overseas buyers this is attractive.

Mako

Why not just get a Cummins certified reman? That way all doubts are eliminated as well as endless questions regarding Chinese quality. If I were building a single engine vessel for blue water work like you are, considering anything less than bulletproof seems a step back.

Mako

Why not just get a Cummins certified reman? That way all doubts are eliminated as well as endless questions regarding Chinese quality. If I were building a single engine vessel for blue water work like you are, considering anything less than bulletproof seems a step back.

He is in the UAE. So it might not be as easy as it sounds.

Why not just get a Cummins certified reman? That way all doubts are eliminated as well as endless questions regarding Chinese quality.

He is in the UAE. So it might not be as easy as it sounds.

Actually I left UAE :( and am now in Qatar. There was another thread where we discussed this topic. One thought I had was to pick up a genset or heavy machinery engine and then have a local shop rebuild it, which I could supervise. We have Perkins gensets, Cat heavy equipment, lots of Doosan forklifts, Ashok Leyland trucks and buses everywhere, pretty much all the Korean and Japanese names, etc.

Unfortunately I have never ever seen a single Detroit. No John Deere either.

However, what we do have here is lots of falcons in first class... see them all the time.

Falcons on a plane: First class treatment for birds of prey - CNN.com

Back
Top Bottom